Lets see your Trailers with campers: Homemade - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 53043
Send a message via AIM to muddinnissan
As far as sleeping in the camper whats the most people yall have had in it. I know for me and my wife It wouldnt be a problem, but we plan on having 2 kids in the future. Are there campers out there that would comfortably fit 4 people for sleeping and sitting inside incase the weather gets horrible all of a sudden. I have tried looking but have had no luck.
muddinnissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 14143
Send a message via AIM to Airpup26
I will have to dig up the pictures of my 99 f-250 psd with 3.31 TONS of river rock in the bed. I had about 1/4 inch of suspension travel left. Not smart, but only went 5 miles. The loader at the yard got a bit carried away.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 123706
I bought this old camper for $300 with the box trailer. I don't know it's year (late 60's, early 70's). I put new carpet and an air mattress in it. It's in really good shape. Next summer I plan to wire in the lights to the trailer lights for the full poultry package.
Trailer is a 27' Titan GN

Last edited by BoDuke25; 10-25-2009 at 11:32 AM.
BoDuke25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 54741
Here's one I built a few years ago...

Name:  brownmtn 018.jpg
Views: 99687
Size:  73.0 KB
NiteKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 99927
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteKrawler View Post

Attachment 474838
Interesting. Details?

What's this combo weigh? How much space in that camper?
kota4bye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 127985
Thanks to BoDuke25 for pointing me out to this thread months ago. I have been keeping my eye's out for the perfect fit for my trailer and just brought it home yesterday for $200.

Thank you tx_jeep for the inspiration.

First off, my plans are to CLEAN IT THE HELL OUT. It is pretty nasty inside and the thought of sleeping on dried trucker nut doesn't appeal to me. To keep it simple and basic, I will be knocking off the loose paint on the outside and coating it with either the Dupli-color bedliner or paintable undercoating. I have had good luck with those products and usually top coat it with some cheap gloss black paint to help keep the shine. Since it pretty much sticks to everything, my prep work should be good enough. The inside will be sprayed with black vinyl dye on anything plastic or vinyl. The rest will get the same treatment as the outside. If anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know. Due to me usually camping with a bunch of jokers, I will be adding a window to the front just in case they decide to ratchet strap me in it. Nothing too big, just something that will make me feel like I am not in a coffin.

After I replace the floor due to it being pretty nasty, all of my spare drive/axle shafts and parts will be packed away in the storage compartment along with all of my camping gear. Note that the tool box will not be used and was sitting where the sleeper currently is. A window AC, generator, and cd player are other things that I would like to do to it in the future, $$$ permitting.

Last edited by HuskerJeep; 11-06-2009 at 03:59 PM.
HuskerJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 72000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDuke25 View Post
I bought this old camper for $300 with the box trailer. I don't know it's year (late 60's, early 70's). I put new carpet and an air mattress in it. It's in really good shape. Next summer I plan to wire in the lights to the trailer lights for the full poultry package.
Trailer is a 27' Titan GN
i personally like campers with sleeping quarters over the cab,but thats a nice little setup-nice and simple. got a sink and burners... does it have a tank and pump for the sink? if so thats pretty cool. i have a slide in with a sink in it, but it only works when its hooked up to the garden hose attachement on the outside.
84 chevy home made crewcab

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined
nightcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 06:03 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 72000
Quote:

Attachment 474838
Quote:
Originally Posted by kota4bye View Post
Interesting. Details?

What's this combo weigh? How much space in that camper?
i agree... some pics of the inside,please

Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 110184
Revised methods. Now pulling this:

with this:

as is:

Needs tranny work, but with the deal I got on the truck, I can replace the tranny with a bulletproof Blumenthals version and still be in great shape in this truck. I HATE autos, but too good too pass up, and like I say, couldn't turn it down for the price.

91 YJ, 5.3, TH400, Atlas 3.8, 35 spl 60's f&r

Pick up your trash you nancy little bastards or sell that shit and go buy a fawkin low rider so you can be around more of your own kind! :flipoff:
mrtoddb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 123706
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawlers View Post
i personally like campers with sleeping quarters over the cab,but thats a nice little setup-nice and simple. got a sink and burners... does it have a tank and pump for the sink? if so thats pretty cool. i have a slide in with a sink in it, but it only works when its hooked up to the garden hose attachement on the outside.
A bed over the cab would be ideal, but this is working great and keeps the fiance much happier than the tent ever did. Eventually we'll upgrade. The sink was originally designed to be used with a hose, but the previous owner put an 8 gallon water tank under the seat/bed. I just need power to run it.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 72000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDuke25 View Post
A bed over the cab would be ideal, but this is working great and keeps the fiance much happier than the tent ever did. Eventually we'll upgrade. The sink was originally designed to be used with a hose, but the previous owner put an 8 gallon water tank under the seat/bed. I just need power to run it.
sweet! is there anything on the other side? more cabinets,table,or somethin? any more pics of the inside? ive seen a couple of that style runnin around on trucks locally and have always wondered how they were set up inside.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 3321
Send a message via AIM to Ken Carter / BRUISER
Quote:

Attachment 474838
very nice.. the back deck is very much like what mine will be like.. wife wants railings for the kids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tread Lightly Master Trainer

My Builds:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ken Carter / BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 33536
for the guy doing the truck sleeper, might want to think about plastic/vinyl type coatings on the inside. That is a pretty small space in there and you dont want to be sleeping while breathing toxic fumes. Alternatives would be fabric, no VOC paint, wood or something else that is not going off-gas and give you a migraine or make you sick as hell.

Small LED touch/stick on lights are cheap and last forever with double or triple A batteries, could also run a small TV/DVD off a sealed Optima type battery with an inverter. Consider long sliding drawers for underneath your sleeping compartment to allow access to your stuff easier. School bus windows are made to kick out during an emergency too.
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 127985
Thanks for the input. I had thought of that but was insure of how much fumes would put off by the die and was honestly hoping that it would cover up some of the smell that is in it now. I will say that I did spend 4 hours today gutting most of the inside out of it after finding mouse turds under the mattress and on the floor. Considering how anal I am about doing shit right, I thought of the sleeper build that I read last night where the guy gutted and replaced all of the inside panels. I'm going to have to go back and read that thread again to see if that is how I want to go about it. I do think I can salvage the panel that were in it since they are in pretty good condition, but making sure that the vinyl die won't kill anymore brain cells that are numbered anyway is something that should be checked out. Having used it before on door panels and a POS windjammer that was given to me, I don't recall ever smelling fumes after it has dried, but that could be different in an enclosed area that will be getting baked in the sun.

Not having much experience with RV type hook ups, I was going to look more into it before I decide what type of wiring I need to do for sure. The LED touch lights were the easiest option that I was looking into but do want to run some wiring for lights/plugs that will allow me to roll up to a hook up and have instant power. With it gutted now, that should be easy enough. Finding enough motivation to read up on how to go about it might take some time, but your thinking is definitely in line with what I would like to do.

I got on Ebay last night and found a seller that has a bunch of RV windows with minor defects on them for pretty cheap. The one that I was most interested in was a window that was specifically made as an escape window. The size was what I was looking for, but figuring out if it opens up and will stay in place will determine if I go that route. Otherwise I will probably just go with the slider that wasn't that much more. The sliding drawers sounds like a good idea too. Unfortunately I have my basement to finish first, so looking into how to do this project is going to be put off for a couple of months. I was fortunate to work on it today only because the friend that owns the place I am storing it at LOVES to talk, so I busted out some tools and gutted what I could while the good ole boy talked my ear off.
HuskerJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 53173
I am looking at upgrading my tow rig to be able to pull a setup similar to the first trailer in the tread. I found an extremely clean 2007 F250 Lariat that I am really liking, but dont know if I should hold out for an f350. Right now I am towing with an F150 and it is just barely getting by so anything would be an upgrade from that. I just don't want to be time/money if the f250 if it wont handle the pin weight with a camper sitting right on the front of the gooseneck.

Last edited by BikerTrash; 11-04-2009 at 10:59 PM.
BikerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #91 (permalink)
Poser

Member # 128471
New Hillbilly Hauler Project

The trailer gods have shined upon me. My father had an old horse trailer sitting around the farm that was never used. An old friend of his stopped by the other day and wanted to trade it for a tri axle gooseneck that is pretty nice. Knowing I was looking for a GN he went for it and here is what we ended up with.

Looking to mount the old truck camper that has been sitting in the shed for 20+ years on it. Camper is totally vintage but in nice shape and CLEAN. We are going to take out the dinette and build bunks and spruce up the interior. New fridge, micro and maybe a little TV for the kid.

Check it out - Anybody got any ideas to throw at me?
Attached Images

lwt002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #92 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 141848
Threw this together out of an old cabin tent had laying around for about 12 years.
fabbed wooden fold out box, stapled tent around it, and cut floor of tent out. BAM DONE!
Conduit section at Menards came in real handing for making a canopy that stows away nicely then folds out over entire tent.
Has a window AC unit mounted in it, along w/ mini-fridge, microwave, and use oil heater to keep warm.
I was working w/limited space and needed lightweight (unit weighs around 800lbs) since hauling 2 rigs as it is. Folds up nicely. Just takes about 4 guys to set up in 5 min.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_BiLiZujEXVM/Sx...2/IMG_1983.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BiLiZujEXVM/Sx...2/IMG_1985.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BiLiZujEXVM/Sx...2/IMG_2308.JPG

and a PVC light pole to light things up when ya pull into camp at midnight (no the pole doesn't ride like that; gets strapped up once there)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BiLiZujEXVM/Sx...2/IMG_2310.JPG
87Rnr v6 chunks w/ 4:10s & detroits
-propane 4.3, kcase th350, duals (2.28/4.7)
-linked rear on Rock equipment air shocks, 4140 shafts
-diamond +5" front on RUF springs, longs, 6-shooters w/ ARP'S, full hydro
-38.5sx beadlocked

Last edited by knoweigh; 11-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.
knoweigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #93 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 54666
Helping out the lazy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoweigh View Post

and a PVC light pole to light things up when ya pull into camp at midnight (no the pole doesn't ride like that; gets strapped up once there)
- Lee
Old 11-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #94 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 141848
hey, how'd ya do that? I can't seem to get the pics up like that.
Is it because I'm not a "paying" member?
LOL, never mind. Figured it out.

I'm a little slow.!
87Rnr v6 chunks w/ 4:10s & detroits
-propane 4.3, kcase th350, duals (2.28/4.7)
-linked rear on Rock equipment air shocks, 4140 shafts
-diamond +5" front on RUF springs, longs, 6-shooters w/ ARP'S, full hydro
-38.5sx beadlocked

Last edited by knoweigh; 11-30-2009 at 04:40 PM.
knoweigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Not 100% related to the thread, but might be of interest seeing that most guys that toss campers on trailers are slide-in campers.

Ive been working on budget camper project for my flatbed. Started life as a $150 8' Bell mini-truck camper. Still a work in progress, but it is almost ready for our annual winter trip.

Adding boxes to the sides really opens up possibilities. On the passenger side I opened up the floor plan. Drivers side remains as storage compartments, as well as allows for relocation of the furnace propane tank.

Let me know if you have any questions.
IDASHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
Not 100% related to the thread, but might be of interest seeing that most guys that toss campers on trailers are slide-in campers.

Ive been working on budget camper project for my flatbed. Started life as a $150 8' Bell mini-truck camper. Still a work in progress, but it is almost ready for our annual winter trip.

Adding boxes to the sides really opens up possibilities. On the passenger side I opened up the floor plan. Drivers side remains as storage compartments, as well as allows for relocation of the furnace propane tank.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Any more pics, preferably not at MySpace angles?
Travis..
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Myspace angles Honstly I was only trying to get a shot of the back without having the sun/glare right at the camera

Here you go...

This is just phase 1 and 2. Phase 3 will be a complete smoothwall re-skin, and added insulation.

I also have an entire thread showing the build of it over on Expedition Portal

Last edited by IDASHO; 06-05-2011 at 01:38 PM.
IDASHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 81291
Old 12-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 53596
Send a message via MSN to PhantomEB
Hey, I love the idea of stickin a 110 volt Window AC unit in there.... think i have one kickin around here.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 33623
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphbug View Post
I like that set up. How long is the trailer and what is the axles are under it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in