Its all about the little things: Trailer edition - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
Trail Tampon

Member # 27333
great stuff in this thread...

keep em coming.
rajincajingt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Phipps View Post
Lots of good ideas!
One bad one is using an extension cord for lighting.
It really doesn't weather well. Spend the money and get real trailer wiring, the good 4 wire stuff isn't that bad. Buy it at truck/trailer parts suppliers (Midwest Wheel, Redneck Trailer supply, etc.).
And the real trailer junction boxes are way handy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N View Post
Tried several different "real trailer wiring" kits... wire was ok and at best matched the extension cord inner wires. The insulation on a extension cord is much better than the loom those kits' come with...

I've seen this stuff last a long time, so unless you've some photograph proof or can dive into a technical reason... next

I too have used the ext cord...

DID YOU KNOW that almost ALL the manufactured home haulers just have the lights on a 3 prong house cord? and a plugin sticking out of the truck..and a 100ft ext cord on a wind-up reel??...just plugger in and when yer done..unplug and wind-up!!

the cord will last MUCH longer than the standard wire..

yea right..

"They are little angels but they are trying to fuck the wings off each other!"
--Sturgell

Black eyes last but a week, the shame of sodomy lasts a lifetime.-TheRedHorseman
wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
??

So the manufactured home haulers use HOW MANY extension cords?
You need a ground
left turn
right turn
tail/marker(and cheat and use this for the amber flashing light)
brake
So they are using two extension cords? Or are you going to try and tell me they are using multiplexing?
I would use 2 extension cords if I were transporting manufactured homes too, because I would always have a cord come loose and would DRAG it in two, so they need CHEAP, not good.
At least 1/2 their miles are pulling air.
That good 7 wire loom stuff aint cheap!
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Wire doesn't look that much better to me...
(I never did find a kit locally that looked as nice as the picture, and had 12g wire)

Is there anything better?

vs

Last edited by Mr.N; 10-10-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Mr.N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 AM   #30 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Start a new thread bickering about wiring mmmk.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 101946
on my old snowmobile trailer I used to run the wires through an old hose to keep the elements off
h8to wrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 86113
On my low boy trailer, the previous ownder ran all of the wiring through conduit so that it wouldn't get ripped off when dirving through the brush (or anywhere other than a paved road).
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 117771
I copied something off our lowboys for my trailer, I added a 12V cigarette marine style plug on the back of the trailer (each side) and then I can plug in a flashing beacon should my load stick past my trailer or over the sides (102"). I keep a magnetic 12v LED strobe in my tool box and just slap it on the trailer when needed. I'll also use it if I'm going to be traveling in in climate weather you have more visibility.

just another idea.

[QUOTE=Drunk tank] as long as she doesnt have a STD, I would slam that ass like a screen door in a hurricane! [/QUOTE]
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 78079
bump
Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo31 View Post
I copied something off our lowboys for my trailer, I added a 12V cigarette marine style plug on the back of the trailer
I like that idea, but just curious if there a reason you opted for the cigarette style plug over other options?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 103814
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
I like that idea, but just curious if there a reason you opted for the cigarette style plug over other options?
prb because the lights come prewired w/coily cord and cig plug
Flatline's Up! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
So the manufactured home haulers use HOW MANY extension cords?
You need a ground
left turn
right turn
tail/marker(and cheat and use this for the amber flashing light)
brake
So they are using two extension cords? Or are you going to try and tell me they are using multiplexing?
I would use 2 extension cords if I were transporting manufactured homes too, because I would always have a cord come loose and would DRAG it in two, so they need CHEAP, not good.
At least 1/2 their miles are pulling air.
That good 7 wire loom stuff aint cheap!
ok..ya cant transport at night...the trucks they use have intigraged brake-turnsignal lights...

brakes...yea right...

so you need a LEFT,RIGHT,ground...no low's no axle brakes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo31 View Post
I copied something off our lowboys for my trailer, I added a 12V cigarette marine style plug on the back of the trailer (each side) and then I can plug in a flashing beacon should my load stick past my trailer or over the sides (102"). I keep a magnetic 12v LED strobe in my tool box and just slap it on the trailer when needed. I'll also use it if I'm going to be traveling in in climate weather you have more visibility.

just another idea.
had a neighbor buddy that did the EXACT same thing to his semi...made it EASY for beacons! and worklights when loading at night!

yea right..

--Sturgell

Black eyes last but a week, the shame of sodomy lasts a lifetime.-TheRedHorseman
Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 24238
they sure as hell do run electric brakes on those MH axles. I'm sure they don't put them on there for looks.

and yeah most oversize can't pull at night but last I checked running lights are needed in the rain. they stay home when it's wet out? that's a tough way to make money.

Maybe the sketchy fly by night crews get away with 3 wires but nobody who actually fills out a log book and has DOT numbers would dare go that sketchy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5, Legends #571, UTV codog #901
koh19 crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 crew: 572

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 41653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
they sure as hell do run electric brakes on those MH axles. I'm sure they don't put them on there for looks.

and yeah most oversize can't pull at night but last I checked running lights are needed in the rain. they stay home when it's wet out? that's a tough way to make money.

Maybe the sketchy fly by night crews get away with 3 wires but nobody who actually fills out a log book and has DOT numbers would dare go that sketchy.
just tellin ya what Ive seen...

theres some scary shit drivin down the hig[email protected]!

yea right..

--Sturgell

Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N View Post
Well, then get off your lazy butt an show me...
A link, a picture... something
(And I wasn't talking wally world trailer wiring)
Paging Harold Phipps, CSP, Travis Waldher, Never Monday, wanderer-RRORC, Mr. Mindless... please provide a picture or delete. This thread otherwise oozes excellence!

Back on topic, here's a double-wheel 1500#-rated swivel jack.

...for when you don't want to trust your heavy not-so-perfectly-balanced load to a spindly 750#-rated jack that just sinks its single wheel into the dirt.

Randii

Last edited by randii; 10-14-2009 at 10:30 AM.
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #41 (permalink)
1962 YellowSubmarine

Member # 1494
wheels are for people who can't park their trailer correctly before they disconnect

Actually, on a related note to your picture- one of the best things I did was put a side mount jack on that folds up instead of the POS "through the tongue right behind the coupler so you can't open your tailgate and so you can drag it on and off road through almost any dip" that came on it. Just say no to center tongue jacks

They come in bolt on or weld on, so ANYONE can do it if you have more than 3 fingers and at least 1 thumb

Help Fight Global Warming- turn your A/C on high and open all your windows.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store - NOT a government agency!!!!

Last edited by YellowSub1962; 10-14-2009 at 07:00 PM.
YellowSub1962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 121589
The two best small things I did to my car/scrap hauling trailer that sees anywhere from 1-3 tons on it each month:

- a 7k lb square drop leg jack from TSC. The drop leg gives me lots of adjustability with height and it stores just a couple inches below the tongue height. Best of all, I don't have to worry about the jack folding or the swivel rings breaking no matter what the tongue weight may be. Cars load quickly- 3 ton of furnaces and brake rotors do not

-A good winch mount is pretty common, as is wiring the winch to a car battery that doubles as the break-away power source. But I put quick connectors on my winch line and ran power lines to the back of the truck for a more reliable power source. No matter what I tried, I just could not keep the trailer battery charged, mostly because there is little charging ability through the #7 wire and because the trailer may sit for weeks at a time being waiting for a full load. I've looked into solar panels for as trickle chargers, but the price for good ones that can withstand being mounted on the trailer just aren't worth it.

Great thread, I'm subscribed and am looking forward to more
binksman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #43 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
Paging Harold Phipps, CSP, Travis Waldher, Never Monday, wanderer-RRORC, Mr. Mindless... please provide a picture or delete.
I actually have a chunk of the good wire sitting on my workbench that I could take a picture of. The question is do I really care enough to make it a priority over all the other things I have to do when I'm not at work. Nope.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
trailer prick

x2
If ya all are too lazy to look it up on rednecktrailer.com, or waddle your ass into NAPA,,,,,,
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 117771
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post

Yes, I had easy access to the 12v cigarette style plug in strobes (pretty common in the equipment world). As mentioned I can also use my GoLight at night on the trailer to see what's going on.

You could wire it up any way but 12v is the way to go in my opinion.

[QUOTE=Drunk tank] as long as she doesnt have a STD, I would slam that ass like a screen door in a hurricane! [/QUOTE]
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
...do I really care enough to make it a priority over all the other things I have to do when I'm not at work. Nope.
Quote:
If ya all are too lazy to look it up on rednecktrailer.com, or waddle your ass into NAPA,,,,,,
Option B would be lovely then for you folks who keep cluttering up the best thread TR&T has seen in a while. ...or maybe if you're not gonna stay on-track with the topic, you could just stop posting?

Anyway, on with the good stuff... how 'bout corner storage, from: http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15187

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76scoutman View Post
I couldn't see my gooseneck ball with my quad cab and a tool box. Solution, I welded a tab onto the hitch of the gooseneck, mounted a mirror and angled it down so I could see where my ball was.

Now I can hit my ball first time, everytime.

I did this one too.
I used a 24inch security mirror because I can't see anything
I put it on a magnet mount so I just stick it on when I need it.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 72000
those corner storage boxed are quite clever. i dig it
84 chevy home made crewcab

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined
nightcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 42266
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawlers View Post
those corner storage boxed are quite clever. i dig it
dido, I've been waiting for that idea!
88 Samurai: 39.5 Iroks, 5:29's 6.5:1, 16v 4spd
txzuk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #50 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Forgot this one untill i slipped and bust my fawkin ass on my new trucks angle iron ramps in the rain today.

Serrated catwalk and some square tubing under it makes for super grippy and strong ramps.Rain sleet snow or hail these things will grip.. I have some 24" wide and 6' long ones from my old trailer.. When i rebuild the dove on my new truck i plan on cutting them shorter and using them again.The only pic i have is a catalog pic though.

Also i saw a equipment trailer a guy had that ran bags to support the load.. Rode smoother and he had it setup to dump the air and the dove hit the ground..Ie; no ramps needed to load the skid steer.
Attached Images

Last edited by angryblack; 10-16-2009 at 09:00 PM.
angryblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in