Its all about the little things: Trailer edition - Page 31 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #751 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Turned my 83" wide trailer into a 102" wide trailer. Drive over fenders with gussets in the middle, rub rails, extra stake pockets, 4" strap ratchets on driver side, jack brace, d-rings between fenders, license plate light guard and a few other misc. add-ons.

Name:  IMG_4617.jpg
Views: 1923
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4618.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4619.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  139.2 KB
DZ Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #752 (permalink)

Member # 83301
^^^ looks sharp. add a fresh deck and rock out.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #753 (permalink)

Member # 857556
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ Fab View Post
Turned my 83" wide trailer into a 102" wide trailer. Drive over fenders with gussets in the middle, rub rails, extra stake pockets, 4" strap ratchets on driver side, jack brace, d-rings between fenders, license plate light guard and a few other misc. add-ons.
About to do this to mine and am curious what materials you used for the frame widening. Looks like 3" c-channel?
bbenzley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #754 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenzley View Post
About to do this to mine and am curious what materials you used for the frame widening. Looks like 3" c-channel?
2Ē x 4Ē rectangular tube and 1/8Ē diamond plate. No specific reason other than I already had it on hand and the dimensions worked out pretty well as far as proportions, etc. Iím sure channel would have been fine as well.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #755 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
I was just about to ask what material you used to widen your trailer.

I've got a 28' 2 car hauler bumper pull trailer that i need to widen now that my rig is 96" wide. When i widen mine, i'm going to add a couple reverse lights to shine down directly in front of the front axle so that at night when pulling into an off road park (never fails that i arrive at night) i can actually see where the trailer tire is. Its hard to tell some times when its 50' or so behind my seat in the cab of the RV.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #756 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
I widened mine as well, I just used 1"x 2", it's strong enough, and not heavy. I then just put 1/8 diamond plate on it as well.

I also added lights and tied them into my reverse lights, they light up my fence where I park so I don't hit it.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #757 (permalink)
What do I do now?

Member # 771225
I really enjoyed this thread and have a list of things to add to my current trailer as well as future ones so thanks!

To give back, here are a couple things to share that I didn't see in here yet!

I switched the ends of my ratchets to be these chains (bought on Amazon, search 2" ratchet strap with chain)

They work excellent if you have the slots like that.

Two big vulnerabilities with the common car haulers are the lights and license plate, either getting broken, crushed or ripped off. So when I redid this trailer I kept that in mind and decided to flip the C channel around from the norm. What I did with the lights isn't that unique, but it does keep them protected completely from backing into something, or for when I drive up onto the trailer.

The license plate is held on with magnets. My Dad was super against the idea, saying that it'd never stay on. So far so good though.

And here are a couple more of my trailer, a before shot and now after widening and drive over fenders. Trailer has the junction box everyone talks about in this thread, and it is as good as advertised. Plan to add a winch up front and maybe deck and/or reverse lights too.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by bhat; 05-12-2019 at 07:09 PM.
bhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #758 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
What are people doing for storage under deckover trailers? After looking at some setups this past week, seems like a generator, boxes, compressor, etc. can fit under the deck without much fuss.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #759 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhat View Post
The license plate is held on with magnets. My Dad was super against the idea, saying that it'd never stay on. So far so good though.
Awesome rebuild, but that IMO will not last. It's well protected, so why is it so hard to drill 2-4 holes in the channel to hard mount the plate? Plus some shitbag could easily steal it
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #760 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 129660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Awesome rebuild, but that IMO will not last. It's well protected, so why is it so hard to drill 2-4 holes in the channel to hard mount the plate? Plus some shitbag could easily steal it
Yeah. Unless you're running three trailers on the same plate, I don't see the point...
WrenchMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 11:49 PM   #761 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142852
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
Yeah. Unless you're running three trailers on the same plate, I don't see the point...
That was my thought. Tucked into the channel like that, not much to go wrong.
Prozon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #762 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:
The plate on mine has been stolen twice! Now it has 4 bolts not 2. Plus I welded the nuts on. Earn it thieves!

I agree, personally I hate drilling holes, dreaming of a mag drill. I would find 4 short bolts and weld the heads to the plate, throw some nuts on it and call it a day.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #763 (permalink)
What do I do now?

Member # 771225
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozon View Post
That was my thought. Tucked into the channel like that, not much to go wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
The plate on mine has been stolen twice! Now it has 4 bolts not 2. Plus I welded the nuts on. Earn it thieves!

I agree, personally I hate drilling holes, dreaming of a mag drill. I would find 4 short bolts and weld the heads to the plate, throw some nuts on it and call it a day.
Good points, didn't consider the plate stealing aspect. Maybe I'll throw some bolts on there for just that reason!
bhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #764 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 63125
Iíve wanted to add some back up lights to my trailer for years, not that I need them often but Iíve been in a few situations where they would be nice. I ended up coming across the TecNiq Inc: T14 ID Bar. It is plastic but appears well made. On my trailer the ID bar is fairly well protected so I thought it would be better than led pod lights.
Attached Images

1986 CJ7 resto modded, Howell Injected 4.2l, SUA, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, 4:56's, Aussie locked Dana 30, Detroit Tru Trac AMC 20,

1991 YJ 4.0L, 3 link CO's front and SOA rear, 37" Falken MT's on KMC Machete Beadlocks, 4:88's, Lockrite locked Waggy Dana 44 Front, ARB Waggy M20rear
y2kmxz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #765 (permalink)

Member # 174963
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmxz View Post
Iíve wanted to add some back up lights to my trailer for years, not that I need them often but Iíve been in a few situations where they would be nice. I ended up coming across the TecNiq Inc: T14 ID Bar. It is plastic but appears well made. On my trailer the ID bar is fairly well protected so I thought it would be better than led pod lights.

I like that, my ebay center clearance lights have crapped out on my trailer. A set with reverse light would be a nice upgrade.
lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 06:00 AM   #766 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ Fab View Post

Attachment 2901962

Attachment 2901964

Attachment 2901966
Blasted, primed, painted, and cleared. New boards, new wiring, new straps, mud flaps. Good to go.

Name:  IMG_2544 copy.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  106.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2401 copy.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0548 copy.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  110.2 KB

Last edited by DZ Fab; 06-07-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #767 (permalink)

Member # 101414
I need some help, I'm gonna need a new car trailer and I would swear about a year ago somebody mentioned a trailer place in Minnesota that built some nice trailers. I went through this thread and a couple other's but didn't have any luck. Seems like they built low deck overs and tilt beds and had an excellent paint or coating on them. If somebody remembers them and could post a link or just shoot me the name that would be greatly appreciated
WOODZUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #768 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODZUK View Post
I need some help, I'm gonna need a new car trailer and I would swear about a year ago somebody mentioned a trailer place in Minnesota that built some nice trailers. I went through this thread and a couple other's but didn't have any luck. Seems like they built low deck overs and tilt beds and had an excellent paint or coating on them. If somebody remembers them and could post a link or just shoot me the name that would be greatly appreciated
not sure about MN, but ABU is in the Dakotas and makes nice stuff
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #769 (permalink)

Member # 101407
Quote:
Felling ? No experience, but i've heard good things
Elvis38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #770 (permalink)

Member # 17632
We have a 40k Felling tilt at work. One of the tongue pivot pins has fallen out twice now. There is very little space where the retainer nut/bolt hold the pin in place. There's no room for lock washer or a tall lock nut so it keeps coming loose. I think the second time one of the guys welded the nut to the bolt. Seems crappy that they build/sell them like that.
Travis..
Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #771 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
We have a 40k Felling tilt at work. One of the tongue pivot pins has fallen out twice now. There is very little space where the retainer nut/bolt hold the pin in place. There's no room for lock washer or a tall lock nut so it keeps coming loose. I think the second time one of the guys welded the nut to the bolt. Seems crappy that they build/sell them like that.
Travis..
Should have had a all metal lock nut on it: https://www.fastenal.com/product/fas...FamilyId=26217

Or: https://www.fastenal.com/product/fas...FamilyId=26218

Same height as a standard nut.

Aaron Z
Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #772 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 196079
Quote:
Maybe www.johnsontrailerco.com, but they are in WI.
Chief Rocka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #773 (permalink)

Member # 101414
Thanks guys, it was Johnson trailers in Wisconsin. Really appreciate the help
WOODZUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #774 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
Should have had a all metal lock nut on it: https://www.fastenal.com/product/fas...FamilyId=26217

Or: https://www.fastenal.com/product/fas...FamilyId=26218

Same height as a standard nut.

Aaron Z
100% agree, but it was not delivered with a lock of any kind. I tried not to get involved with it, but the guy who did just tacked the nut to the bolt. It should never need to be removed in its lifetime anyway.
Travis..
Old 07-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #775 (permalink)

Member # 860424
Weld on hooks to adjust the length of the safety chains. A brake pedal return spring to keep the tail light cable from dragging. Name:  20190719_115712_1563673726055.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  83.9 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in