Trailer house axles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Trailer house axles

I am looking for a general purpose trailer. Not a car trailer, I already have one of those. Just something to haul wood with and motorcycles. I found a utility trailer but it has mobile home axles under it. Can the hubs be changed without changing the spindles? I have had mobile home axles befopre, Never seem to track straight for me. Anyhow the trailer is really cheap so I though I might pick it up adn change out the hubs to standard trailer hubs if possible. What says the pirates?

Last edited by #rawkon; 11-13-2009 at 12:00 PM.
#rawkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Its possible.

My 18ft. equipment trailer and smaller skidsteer specific trailer has the mobile home style axles (14.5 wheels). Tires are cheap and heavy duty for it (my cost is like $65/tire). I went down to a trailer supply shop and asked them, but I cant remember what the guy said the cost was. I wanna say like $600 bucks, plus tires/wheels.

Unless that trailer is rediculously cheap, like $500, just get yourself a 16ft. utility trailer thats rated for 6 or 7k lbs. I wish I had never sold mine.
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Why not just use the axles that are on it? The bearings and seals are standard and easy to find. Tires are cheap, but not quite as easy to find.

Just repacked a few sets of those axles last month, the BSA troop has a few can trailers that use those axles.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 78077
It is ridiculously cheap.Getting the trailer and an aluminum tool box for arounfd $450 worth in trade. Think I willcheck it out this afternoon. Problem with the trailer house axles is, I often move across the country. last mve was oregon to Alabama, And the trailer house axles always seem to destroy tires on long runs. My old traielr had 3 spares and i used most of them moving from minnesota to Oklahoma

Last edited by #rawkon; 11-15-2009 at 06:14 AM.
#rawkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Maybe the axles on your old trailer were bent? There's nothing special about the tires they use on the mobile home axles that would make them blow up any sooner than any other trailer tire. The last ones I bought for the BSA trailers were regular goodyear trailer tires in the 14.5" rim size.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18283
If the mobile home axles are straight then they are reasonable.

The question about converting to a standard lug pattern is up in the air and the real answer is it depends.

I have 2 mobile home axles 1 it was possible to convert though the bearings are retianed by a large nylock nut instead of a traditional castle nut and there is not enough spindle to convert. The other axle had an odd bearing configuration 1 1/16 outer 1 1/4 inner.

To convert I needed the hubs which were ~ $50 @ northern then the wheels & tires which will run you around $200ea. So around $450 each idle axle.

See BillVista's article about mobile home brakes and realize that you are likely to need to need to weld the backing plate on if you want braking axles.

I wish I knew where these guys were getting tires for 65 because I was looking at $120/tire for them for me locally and they are special order. Walk into a tire shop and see how many have 14.5" rubber in stock, if you're traveling distances then the ability to get a spare if/when you need it without waiting a day or two is worth something but how much.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 90212
http://www.championtrailers.com/Mobi...me%20axles.pdf
Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonranger View Post

I wish I knew where these guys were getting tires for 65 because I was looking at $120/tire for them for me locally and they are special order. Walk into a tire shop and see how many have 14.5" rubber in stock, if you're traveling distances then the ability to get a spare if/when you need it without waiting a day or two is worth something but how much.
The tires were $65 at the local Goodyear (bought 2 last month) But they were special order.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 72000
the local "tires unlimited" has them in stock. last time i checked they were $70ish for 7s,$85ish for 8s,and $130ish for 9s. this is for actual,road rated trailer tires,not "mobile home use only" tires.

if all you found is $120 a tire youre either only pricing the 9s or youre not looking very hard.

plus you can serch craiglist and find them for $15 $50 easily.

14.5s arent hard to find.
84 chevy home made crewcab

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined
nightcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 82644
I get tires from the local Clayton homes. I know I guy who works there. I get them for $35 mounted onthe rims. I look through them for ones that are not mobile home use only. I have yet to have a problem. Brakes and bearings are readily accessable. All in stock and local. I carry an extra 2 sets of bearings and 2 spares. Never needed to put a spare on.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 78077
I just hate teh damn 14.5 wheels.. Makes these tires harder to find. My old traielr had straight axles. But still seemed to eat up tires on longer trips.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 36646
Ive had several of these axles under trailers over the years. Ive got replacement wheels/tires at mobile home yards. You have to be careful like posted earlier not to get mobile home use only tires. Carlisle tires are the cheapest, last set I bought $55 at local tire dealer they keep in stock and they are 14.5" rim size.
Ive learned from experience these axles/tires are best on short runs. The tires are bias plied for most part and dont do heat well on long hauls. Most my tire failures started with a knot on tires then shredded.
I had a trailer that had standard wheels and hubs conversion done on it. They welded onto end of spindle and made locking nut to hold bearings from backing off, Lot of work for junk. I would rather have went and got a rear end out of junkyard and cut off the outers and weld to the axle housing before i did all that work.
zuking101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Quote:
Originally Posted by #rawkon View Post
I just hate teh damn 14.5 wheels.. Makes these tires harder to find.
They are not hard at all. I can find them new in town or go to my local clayton homes. No big deal.

Because they are the demountable rims you only have to take your time putting them on so they ride straight. That is what I have found eats them up. Not necesarrily the construction of the tire itself.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
I checked at a trailer parts house a while back and 6 and 8 lug hubs that fit on Mobile home spindles were available for around 90 bucks each. I've had good luck overall with 14.5 tires, only thing I've noticed is they wear fast if inflated to max pressure with no load on the trailer. Mine live longest at 45 psi on a smaller trailer.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 78077
I never have any real problems with them intown adn local. but everytime I have to trailer for a long distance the axles always give me fits. I dunno I am going to check it out tomorrow. Might just get it and change the spindles to accomidate a standard trailer tire.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 18283
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
The tires were $65 at the local Goodyear (bought 2 last month) But they were special order.
That was one of the myriad of places I visited trying to find tires when searching... the first guy told me that they don't make 14.5 rims after talking with the manager I was given the 130 for 8-14.5 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawlers View Post
the local "tires unlimited" has them in stock. last time i checked they were $70ish for 7s,$85ish for 8s,and $130ish for 9s. this is for actual,road rated trailer tires,not "mobile home use only" tires.

if all you found is $120 a tire youre either only pricing the 9s or youre not looking very hard.

plus you can serch craiglist and find them for $15 $50 easily.

14.5s arent hard to find.
I've looked, availability seems to be heavily regional for all the hurricane tar... oh mobile homes around here you would figure that the tire shops would have more people asking for them since everyone makes smaller trailers out of them... there was a 20' 5 axle car hauler on CL not too long saying you could just run tires on the axles you need for you load, all MH axles.

For the loads I throw on my trailer I want at least the 8's
Old 06-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 216161
Quote:
Originally Posted by #rawkon View Post
I am looking for a general purpose trailer. Not a car trailer, I already have one of those. Just something to haul wood with and motorcycles. I found a utility trailer but it has mobile home axles under it. Can the hubs be changed without changing the spindles? I have had mobile home axles befopre, Never seem to track straight for me. Anyhow the trailer is really cheap so I though I might pick it up adn change out the hubs to standard trailer hubs if possible. What says the pirates?
you can buy replacement hubs on ebay or amazon all you need is the inner dia of both bearings o the spindle flats where the bearings ride with in the hub
most 5 to 7k axles run 1.750 inside bearing and 1.250 outer bearings
R&P carriage has an ebay store they have everything look for idler hubs
!!!blueoval!!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 137076
My car trailer runs the 14.5 mobile home axles. I have ran both the cheap $65 each and the expensive ones. Personally the cheap ones worked great till I would tow long distances at haul ass speeds. then they would come apart. I currently have the 130 each on there and have had great luck with them.I would say they they have been on there 2 yrs and I probably put a couple hundred miles a month plus I used it too move from phx to pdx.
toykerbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 86797
I'm starting to look at trailer ideas and this is an interesting axle option.

What are the load ratings on a typical mobile home axle? I'm guessing it's fairly high?
1983 CJ-8 "Gossamer" FULLY POLISHED LS1, TH-400, Atlas 3.8:1 32 spline, 4" 0.375 wall driveshafts, Avalanche Titan axles, 2 1/2 ton third members, CTM axle shafts and Ujoints, ARB's, 15k Warn, Onboard welder and CO2, Halon and Coldfire extinguishers. CB, HF, PA, Sirens, Etc.
Threadkiller
thordehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in