The un-Official Tow Rig Tire Review Thread - Page 16 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #376 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-B View Post
Not a tow rig I know I know, but do all you that put the Cooper STT Maxx on and said it needed too much weight to balance, I had the opposite experience on my TJ. Are you sure you don't have a bent wheel? Or some other problem?

I bought some brand new steel 17s and threw on a set of "used" 37-12.5-17 STT MAXX tires (still had nubbies on the shoulders, so maybe 1k miles or so)in my driveway with zero weights at all and it drives better than with professionally balanced 31s.

Just a thought.
I've ran a few different tires unbalanced on wheelers before with good luck, my buddy has also. I think the bigger tire may be a bit more forgiving since they spin les times per mile, but probably more that you usually aren't going as fast in a crawler and have more noises and whatnot going on compared to a stock rig.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #377 (permalink)

Member # 372697
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I've ran a few different tires unbalanced on wheelers before with good luck, my buddy has also. I think the bigger tire may be a bit more forgiving since they spin les times per mile, but probably more that you usually aren't going as fast in a crawler and have more noises and whatnot going on compared to a stock rig.
I'm sure that's a factor as well. I've gone up to 70 without vibration. Jeep is a bit low on power with 3.31 gears and 37s to hold 70 for long, but I am throwing in some 5.13s this week. It does great at 55 for long stretches though.
Gordon-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #378 (permalink)

Member # 110248
Quote:
Originally Posted by djljeep View Post
So Update: I've got 12-13k on them and they've got more wear than I was expecting. I am bad about rotating, as in, I haven't. All tires 65-70psi, lots of mileage with a V-Plow on over the winter, maybe a thousand miles towing a 35HP Kubota Backhoe and my CJ5, the rest unloaded.

Rears are 5-9/32s, fronts are closer to 9-12/32s, but the fronts are also chopped pretty bad from a bad wheel bearing I drove on for way too long. the rears definitely wore the center of the tread at 70 psi. I think I'm going to drop them to 60-65, and hope I can make 25k...
So final update on the Grabber A/TX. Had them on for a little under a year and about 28k. I think I rotated once or twice, but I've got two that are spanked totally, and I don't think the others would pass inspection anyway. F-350 6.7 truck, 275/65R20 Load Range E running 65 psi on all 4. Maybe 5k of 3-5 ton towing, plenty of time with a V Plow.

So I'm not impressed with whatever they changed in the coumpound. I was getting another 10-15k out of AT2s.

So I have a Pretty good discount on BFG KO2s via JJUSA trail guide. Anybody notice a huge difference between the snow rated tires and the "different tread" tires in the winter? Where I do quite a bit of plowing I'll probobly get the softer tire, but just curious.
djljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #379 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8990
I replaced the Cooper AT3s with Michelin LTX AT2 on my Dodge dually in the stock size 235/80-17 this time last year, they only have about 10,000 miles on them including a 3600 mile round trip to KOH this year. I run the LTX MS on my DD Grand Cherokee and my wife's Outback and they are great. On the truck I wanted something a little more aggressive as it sees work on the farm sometimes, the AT2s for the narrow/heavy load range are a different tread pattern than I've seen before. It's not as aggressive as the wider/lower weight version but is working out well. They are the best performing tires I've had on this truck for snow and wet pavement, they are not great when the pasture gets wet but they are mild ATs on a heavy truck so I just use momentum . They did take more weight than I was anticipating since the other Michelins we own took very little and just over the weekend I felt a vibration above 75 mph but it's time for a rotate so I'll have them balanced too. I'll measure the tread depth and report back but they aren't showing much wear at all.

I had two sets of Cooper ATRs and they were great, the AT3s were good for a little while then they cupped even though I rotate them, stay on top of pressure, and maintain the truck well and at part tread the wet and snow performance went to shit.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are"
John Wooden

Jeff Knoll: What do you need to see anyway, the spotter is driving, your just a monkey at that point, the only thing you need is to follow orders, and have brass balls.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wheatfield; 11-12-2019 at 07:30 AM.
wheatfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #380 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27011
My current Toyo AT 2's are right at 56K miles and all but dead. Tire shopping now and WalMart has my favorite 285/75 R18 on sale but in the Toyo RT - same specs as the AT2 but at almost $100 cheaper per tire than anywhere I can find AT2's. Seems like they might be worth a try on my Super Doodie unless anyone here has some bad reviews on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Morgan Hill, California

(408) 778-7800
lowerd96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #381 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27011
Well I ordered them, fuck it! 285/75R18E Toyo RT's for $274 a piece on WalMart.com - Seemed too good to pass up. I'll chime back in after they are installed. Cheers!

Morgan Hill, California

(408) 778-7800
Old 12-20-2019, 04:25 AM   #382 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerd96 View Post
Well I ordered them, fuck it! 285/75R18E Toyo RT's for $274 a piece on WalMart.com - Seemed too good to pass up. I'll chime back in after they are installed. Cheers!
Please do. That's the size I run on my superduty and I'm less then 6 months from needing tires
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #383 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7624
Send a message via AIM to offroadman83
Quote:
Dang thats a good deal... might have to look into it asap... that's the size i run on my 2500hd. I hate my current bfg muds ugh. I didnt buy em though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #384 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 63534
Has anyone tried the geolander XAT? Iíve heard people have liked other Yokohama tires but I have never ran one. Iíve been running toyo at2 for a while and really like them, but this tire looks comparable and is cheaper.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LT285-70R...118Q/977505862

Quote:
Their $7000 bolt ons, I told that bitch, id make ya famous....ta da..
Quote:
If you admit to 'rollin coal' on purpose, then you probably take dick in your butt for fun.
toy4x4ota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #385 (permalink)

Member # 15808
Running a set of these on my '15 CCSB Cummins. Put them on around Labor Day '19 but only have 5k or less on them. Truck only gets driven when towing now.

Road manners are very good, pretty quiet on the road and wet and dry traction are great. No noticeable tread squirm when pulling my gooseneck or camper either. I haven't had them in mud but the one time I did get into the dirt and it was soft they pulled well. My only complaint is they pick up rocks on gravel worse than the BFG KO2 I had on that truck before and worse than my Duratracs on my Tacoma.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ltraterrain-at
wades_76_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #386 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27011
Got them installed Friday evening, after a trip to Hollister Hills Saturday and out to Livermore on Sunday, I have maybe 200 miles on them. Super smooth and quiet, definitely a more aggressive tread pattern than I am use to, but I like the change in looks from the years of running the AT2's. Heading to South Lake Tahoe in the AM so we'll see how they do in the snow and ice, but for the price and specs of this tire thus far I am happy!
Attached Images

Morgan Hill, California

(408) 778-7800
Old 01-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #387 (permalink)

Member # 85158
Has anybody tried Mastercraft Stratus AP or the Mastercraft AXT2? I know that they are made by Cooper but that is about all. Either style would be in the 10 ply flavor and go on my wifeís expedition that we use to tow our camper. I looked back a few pages and didnít see any mention of them and reviews elsewhere seem to be ad than actual review.
lottery_loser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #388 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x4ota View Post
Has anyone tried the geolander XAT? Iíve heard people have liked other Yokohama tires but I have never ran one. Iíve been running toyo at2 for a while and really like them, but this tire looks comparable and is cheaper.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LT285-70R...118Q/977505862
I bought a set of 37s LRE for my gas ram, I'm not running them yet, but they look really well made, and made in Japan vs China

I bought 2 sets, just need the one now, I'm selling tree extra set, 37x13.50r17 $1100 locally, these are 340ea new

Also I bought a pair of west lake sl369 for a truck I'm selling, they have great reviews and look well made, I'll mount them this week and report back
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #389 (permalink)

Member # 25632
For anyone who likes the Hankook dynopro at2, take a look at the America's tire pathfinder at. They're made by Hankook and look identical to the at2. I have the Hankooks on my F350 and the pathfinders on the wife's F150, both have been great so far.

The pathfinders in 275/70r18, with certs, were about $725 after their rebate.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 05:16 AM   #390 (permalink)

Member # 121718
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottery_loser View Post
Has anybody tried Mastercraft Stratus AP or the Mastercraft AXT2? I know that they are made by Cooper but that is about all. Either style would be in the 10 ply flavor and go on my wifeís expedition that we use to tow our camper. I looked back a few pages and didnít see any mention of them and reviews elsewhere seem to be ad than actual review.
I had a set of 285/70/17's load range E's on a Sierra 1500. I put about 40K on it and they still looked good. I bought them at 135K and the truck was totaled at 178K. I wasn't planning on buying a new set till 200K. It was mix of DD and hauling. I bought the E's because I was planning on getting a camper for the bed and I wanted tires that could handle that easier.

I got a dodge with AT2's, I'll most likely be going back to them once these wear out.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 06:48 AM   #391 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Quote:
Got them installed Friday evening, after a trip to Hollister Hills Saturday and out to Livermore on Sunday, I have maybe 200 miles on them. Super smooth and quiet, definitely a more aggressive tread pattern than I am use to, but I like the change in looks from the years of running the AT2's. Heading to South Lake Tahoe in the AM so we'll see how they do in the snow and ice, but for the price and specs of this tire thus far I am happy!
How are you feeling about these so far??
Old 01-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #392 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27011
I am stoked with them, I've put about 1,800 miles on them now, 2 trips to the Sierra and 2 snow storms, so far so good. Super quiet and smooth, great traction in the snow and ice. I've yet to tow with them but don't feel like they are going to be any different than the AT when it comes to towing performance.
Seem like a great E Rated 10ply tire for the price! And I like the slightly more aggressive tread pattern than the AT without having to go to a straight mud tire. I'm happy!

Morgan Hill, California

(408) 778-7800
Old 01-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #393 (permalink)

Member # 85158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckupq View Post
I had a set of 285/70/17's load range E's on a Sierra 1500. I put about 40K on it and they still looked good. I bought them at 135K and the truck was totaled at 178K. I wasn't planning on buying a new set till 200K. It was mix of DD and hauling. I bought the E's because I was planning on getting a camper for the bed and I wanted tires that could handle that easier.

I got a dodge with AT2's, I'll most likely be going back to them once these wear out.
That is good to know. I am going to be picking up a set soon and see how they do this summer pulling our camper. Thanks.
lottery_loser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #394 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 32585
Still have nothing but good things to say about the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

This my 3rd set. First on on this truck. 285/75/17 Load Range E. Just under $1,000 installed by my local offroad shop.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in