Air Ride hitches? Anybody use one? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Bringing this back from the dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryblack View Post
Interested in this also..Some trucks well real trucks are just harsh on trailers.I know my truck is.

Ive looked at the bottom one before, but would rather make my own as a personal project
Did you ever do anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
I made my own a few years ago. It was a fun project. It made a huge difference when towing a tag on a long extension with a big slide-in. I had bags on the truck for the big slide and ran a weight distributing hitch in conjunction with the air hitch. It was a pleasure to drive as you could literally not feel the weight of the trailer tongue acting on the truck chassis at all. The WD combined with the air was the ticket when towing with a 3.5' extension. Bags on the truck did nothing for control and ride quality of the trailer tongue weight acting on the truck chassis - they only aided in supporting the weight...which that truck did not need because of the trailer.

Any pics of what keeps is from going side to side? Looks like Track rollers in there....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Offroad Design ♦ Atomic MC ♦ Jantz Engineering
K5runner@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 156216
This is a stupid thread. Thanks for bringing it back so I can comment.

Weight distributing hitch and a ball coupler. 21k trailer? No problem, 21k 2 5/16 couplers are easy to find.
14040 Cast Coupler With Channel and Bolts 21K | Demco Products

You really need wd with that large of a trailer on a one ton, especially with the tongue weight you're running.

Air bag hitches look ridiculously heavy and elaborate and expensive to me. Never used one though. Maybe they are the best thing ever. Better be, for what they cost. Could get airbags and a wd hitch for that investment.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasteranger View Post
This is a stupid thread. Thanks for bringing it back so I can comment.

Weight distributing hitch and a ball coupler. 21k trailer? No problem, 21k 2 5/16 couplers are easy to find.
14040 Cast Coupler With Channel and Bolts 21K | Demco Products

You really need wd with that large of a trailer on a one ton, especially with the tongue weight you're running.

Air bag hitches look ridiculously heavy and elaborate and expensive to me. Never used one though. Maybe they are the best thing ever. Better be, for what they cost. Could get airbags and a wd hitch for that investment.
Sorry I didn't clarify why I need it. Like angryblack I have a big(ger) truck. International 4700, it doesn't really have much rear suspension travel and a large(ish) overhang. The end result of these trucks towing a light-ish trailer is it beats the shit out of it.... The driver doesn't see any back feed from the trailer but the trailer does.... Especially travel/toybox bumper pulls....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 99437
Send a message via Yahoo to CTD NUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Bringing this back from the dead.

Did you ever do anything?

Any pics of what keeps is from going side to side? Looks like Track rollers in there....
I don't have any handy. They were called something like 'cam follower' bearings, IIRC. They had integral mounting studs (the grease fittings are shown on the end of the studs). Any bearing supply shop would have them. I had them on slotted plates and the bolts in the sides allowed for adjustment and preload against the track that you cannot see. The track was a piece of 4" channel.

I'm not sure if that makes sense. A pic is worth a thousand words for sure.

It was a fun project that ended up working well.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
I am not interested in the weight distributing aspect of the hitch, just the air bag portion....

Old 12-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
I don't have any handy. They were called something like 'cam follower' bearings, IIRC. They had integral mounting studs (the grease fittings are shown on the end of the studs). Any bearing supply shop would have them. I had them on slotted plates and the bolts in the sides allowed for adjustment and preload against the track that you cannot see. The track was a piece of 4" channel.

I'm not sure if that makes sense. A pic is worth a thousand words for sure.

It was a fun project that ended up working well.
Do you still use it?

Old 12-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 101946
Quote:
Do you still use it?
I grabbed it from CTD Nut a few years back and still use it.
h8to wrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Okay cool, any changes made? Any dislikes?

Old 12-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 74407
So just in the interest of clarifying information, the op saidnhe runs a pintle setup because he was told that the rating would make him legal over a ball hitch. Thats wrong. A 50 ton pintle ring could be run on the trailer and it still wouldn't affect the load rating of the truck/hitch.

Also that truck/trailer setup is capable of over 26k gcvw. That means you either need a cdl or a non-commercial class A license. If that truck had a 14k gvw trailer, it would be under the 26k limit.

Do I think the combo would have any problems loaded? Nope. But Id also have a gooseneck for a trailer that long. It would've resolved any issue. Trailers like that are designed for pulling behind medium duty trucks loaded with a piece of equipment such as a backhoe.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #35 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Quote:
I am not interested in the weight distributing aspect of the hitch, just the air bag portion....
As a member of the big overhang big truck group, I can say weight distrobution hitches are pretty much key in this setup.

I have towed these combos a fair amount behind the Pete

Cast hitch head, solid steel ball mount, 30' 14k trailer. Everything was strong enough, but it was brutal on the trailer. I am glad the jeeps had their own suspension, you could see them bobbing around back there.

Regular hitch, regular stamped steel drop ball mount, 16' 7k trailer. Broke the ball mount. Vibrated a couple wired loose. Not happy.

Weight distrobution hitch, weight hitch head, 22' 14k enclosed. Best towing of the bunch. The weight distrobution still has a good effect on the trailer. It doesn't push weight forward, but it still effectively picks up the front of the trailer and helps dampen out the big hits.

Cut three feet off of the back of the truck, installed a Pintle, and towed the same 30'er and it did much better. But even with 3 less feet of overhang the enclosed in a wd hitch towed better.

That wd/air hitch would be tits. But if you have a wd hitch I would try it, might be all you need.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Mdt trucks had some fucked up air hitches I've seen for tag trailers. I posted a pic of one a long ass time ago. Let me see how my Google fu is today.

Can't find it. It was cantilevered off the rear shackle or leaf spring. It was weird.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
The setup that would benefit from the air hitch. Again the weight is not an issue, the smooth ride for the trailer is....
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Quote:
The setup that would benefit from the air hitch. Again the weight is not an issue, the smooth ride for the trailer is....
Oh I get it. My truck has just as much overhang, maybe more

And weight is absolutely not an issue

But towing my enclosed, that's about as big as your toy hauler, made a huge difference when I set it up on a weight distribution hitch. To the point I would have never bothered with air.

If you have one, or access to one, it's worth a try before you fab up an air hitch.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
I never got the air hitch done. After the ramp truck took a shit i wound up with a pintle hitch trailer to use. So being the tightwad fucka i am i just went and got the rest of the pintle setup since my trailer has 5-6" channel.

From my travels every MDT needs an air hitch. Especially if your towing a travel trailer. There is a boatload of extreme forces from the ball to the first spring hanger going down the road over rough stuff.

angryblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 192711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
just because you see people doing it doesn't make it right/safe/legal. Check out the threads talking about campers + trailers and you will read lots about RAWR and tire ratings and DOT.
I agree, however I also feel that the safety police in the tow rig section are more on the anal side, giving the perspective that 'one pound over weight rating' is wildly dangerous. Which in reality is a rediculous way to think.

OP for bumper pull I personally think that air bags on the axle would probably overall work better. Either that or a good wdh setup. I went with a budget wdh setup on my tongue heavy trailer and it definitely made towing with my burb more pleasurable. I personally don't see a reason to do air hitch except on a leaf sprung MDT/HDT. But I guess I just expect a tow truck to ride rough, and don't expect a tow rig to feel the same as my Buick.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized this is a bumped old thread.

Last edited by kayjef; 12-07-2015 at 06:32 PM.
kayjef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 220071
one of customers has 1999 f650 with leaf spring on the hitch (bumper pull) ill try to take a picture tomorrow
Shortbedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 220071

Shortbedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 230170
Send a message via Yahoo to slimpartywagon Send a message via Skype™ to slimpartywagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbedguy View Post

I have seen this set up before, and works really well for hauling equipment like a small bull dozer or backhoe with your service truck.
slimpartywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 256522
Anyone ever try one of these suckers. I guess it uses rubber torsion springs like a torsion axle to smooth the ride out.

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1449979362.974185.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  38.2 KB

https://www.genyhitch.com/store?seri...20Flex%20Hitch
Cplourde10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbedguy View Post

Okay I have room under the back. I can run the follower bearings for side to side. I guess I just need to figure out an overkill pivot. Maybe 1.25" heims or a Bronze bushing....

I got some ideas brewing.. Dual air bags....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in