|06-28-2011, 09:58 PM||#53 (permalink)|
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 188714
My 2002 F-250 Superduty, Super Cab, Longbed, 4x4, 5.4L has about 115,000 miles on her.
I bought her with 6,000 miles. Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned - period!!!
Issues I've seen:
- Factory rotors needed replaced @ 56,000mi. Cryoslots on there now
- Ball joints @ same time and they were gone 10k miles before that!! Had all 4 done.
- Battery @ about 80k miles
- Coil packs: First one replaced at 105k miles. Then they all started dropping so I JUST replaced them all. $40 each @ Summit (w/price match).
- New plugs 3k miles ago
- Door lock actuators fail. A piece of aluminum foil repairs it. No joke, directions on ford-trucks.com
- Exhaust about 6k miles ago (repaired with cat-back stainless). Exhaust manifold just developed a leak as well but that's probably as much based on northern Ohio weather as the mileage.
Issues I've heard about:
- Spark plug blowout! Plugs have only FOUR (4) full threads in aluminum heads. What IDIOT thought that was a good idea? And they are in there a mile deep so all they had to do was leave some extra casting material!!! You will read that 14 lb/ft. is sufficient torque when replaced. That is VERY light - and probably LEADS to more blowout from plugs working loose and destroying the threads. Research lead me to believe an article that stated 28-32 lb./ft. is correct and that's what all mine are at!!
Anyway, the 3V motors which are 2005 and up (may be 2004 and up) are the worst culprits. PLUS they have a 2-piece spark plug which get destroyed when you try to change them - breaking apart and becoming a nightmare. My mechanic friend refuses to work on the 3V 5.4 plugs.
I didn't hit much on the power - everyone knows they are not that powerful. But I've hauled 5k pounds worth of trailer, ATV's, people and gear in the mountains of W. Virginia - I just didn't set any speed records doing it!!!
Best MPG's I've ever gotten: 14 on the highway and it had less than 30k miles last time I saw that # (have larger tires now so I never will)!!