FJ Cruiser CAI suggestions and tires - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 518305
FJ Cruiser CAI suggestions and tires

Hi everyone,

I recently relocated from Florida to Colorado. Here in the mountains, my 2013 FJ Cruiser is suffering heavy performance losses where it barely climbs passes and steep inclines. It does not like 85 octane gas, and I have to use 91 premium so I can keep rolling. I never had these issues back in FL where I used to run regular 87 octane fuel all the time. I am a bit disappointed with the underpowered engine; therefore I am wondering if a cold air intake is going to boost the performance. I donít have any modifications, everything is stock, and I am looking for some recommendations for aftermarket CAI. I read that besides the few HP increase the gas mileage improves. Can somebody confirm that?
I have been doing some modest off-roading in the mountains, and, in general, the vehicle is not that bad, but I donít dare entering technical tracks with the stock Dunlop tires. Here is my next question: what tires would you recommend for the stock 17Ē wheels. I would like to be able to do occasionally some dry off-roading. I lost my desire to enter muddy tracks since I got stuck in a pond a few months ago in FL. I donít do rock climbing neither as I donít think my vehicle has enough clearance.
One thing I realized by running higher octane fuel in the altitude is that my gas mileage improves. Recently I came to a whopping 21.37 mpg where in FL I could never get above 19 mpg.
Any thoughts?
ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 444450
A pal of mine bought an afe performance cold air intake, he said the fitting was easy and you can surely hear the engine breaths better.

Last edited by hardrider; 09-17-2015 at 07:00 PM.
hardrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 611938
We put a K&N filter and a River Raider snorkel (more useful for me than an actual CAI), which in the end acts the same as a CAI. There is a noticeable pickup and gas mileage is better. The River Raider is a military style, mushroom cap snorkel that fits on the cowl where the antenna is. You can hear it sucking in the air. Point being everyone I know who runs some form of a CAI loves it and noticed improvements.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 79410
I would get your fj checked out on stock tires it should have plenty of power. Slower than flat sea level driving but my 07 fj on 34s can accelerate up bail pass doing 85.
crujones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in