fj locker setup - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 647809
fj locker setup

whats up guys?!

quick question for you fellas. If you were to go about upgrading your diffs on an fj of the 07 vintage how would you go about it?

preferred tire size 34-35" on the stock ifs front diff, regear of course and then the question really goes straight to this.....arb locker for the front seems common sense but then would you also replace the rear e locker setup with an arb unit as well or just leave it alone until it dies? budget minded slightly and definitely want to go solid axle up front within a year or two hopefully but who knows if that will happen or not, and if it does what it will turn all this other stuff into.

what would you do?
jeffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Sell it and get jk.

or

Keep the tire size around a 33, keep the rear e locker, and throw an arb in the front. The traction control is ok, but it seems to be harder on a front end then a locker. And keep your foot out of it. Diffs arent very strong in these things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

13 RZR 800s
jimbo92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 650161
If you do go with a front locker be judicial with the gas. Bring a spare set of front drive shafts. I have a front locker and a spare set of axles. So far so good and I don't really baby the thing. And yes I like the front locker. If you have the money for the rear diff go with a Currie d60 or at least go with a 2010 or newer rear diff. Nitro gear makes a 2010 bolt in for your rig. The 2010 and newer have bigger bearing and don`t have the self destruction problems of the older ones.
telewacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 202363
Having gone through this my self I would say try to decide what direction you want to go in.
For 34s and even 35s you don't have to re gear and for 1500 bucks you could probably get an ARB installed. The stock E locker in the rear is awesome and I would just run that. The A Trac hack works okay on the FJ (running the atrac and locker together) but is hard on the parts.
If your planning to solid axle in the future save your money for that I always wanted to put a solid axle on my FJ but ended up trading it away for a grand cherokee.
zuzu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in