Building the best Toyota Frontend!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 57010
Building the best Toyota Frontend!!

In the quest for building the ultimate Toyota front end this is what I have came up with, I have a ruff stuff specialties front housing with a 9.5" 3rd stuffed in it. The 3rd will be a 100 series case with an ARB and a ring and pinion set with the 32 spline pinion. Moving onto the outters I spoke with ruff stuff and they are working on an aftermarket knuckle ball for the Fj 80 so as soon as they come out I will be getting them. Now onto the tricky parts, there is not much aftermarket support for the Fj 80 outters hubs so I contacted Hellfire Fab to see about getting a set of there knuckles that I can either bolt on a set of TG chromoly spindles to for a mini truck or have enough meat left in the center bore to where I can get it turned so they will fit. The bolt pattern is the same, I just bolted a stock mini truck spindle to a FJ 80 knuckle. Waiting on a reply from Hellfire to see if either option is possible. Next I contacted RCV axles and asked them about getting a custom length outter stub to match the mini truck length while retaining the Fj 80 sized knuckle, they said "not a problem". To the spindle I will then bolt Tg's stud less hub kit!! Hopefully the only part to still figure out would be a trunnion bearing eliminator to fit the FJ 80 knuckles! Thoughts, comments and any tech I for would be appreciated!
redneckryder84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 57010
Well a little update, Hellfire can not change the diameter where the spindle sets in so time for plan B. I am going to order a set of Trail gear chromoly spindles, take them to a machine shop to get a couple passes ran around them with a Tig, then put on a Lathe to make them fit the Fj80 bore, then get them heat treated. Does anyone have a stock Birfield from a Fj 80 they can take some measurements off of for me? I am looking for the length as if you say the bell on a flat surface to the end of the stub shaft and a distant of just the shaft itself sticking out of the bell to the end of it, Thanks
redneckryder84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 35163
Not sure if a trunnion bearing eliminator is a necessity on the 80 knuckles, the trunnions are spaced further apart so they handle load better. Run koyo's they have the correct taper.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26705
The Hell Fire fab knuckle have a 25mm pin on the upper arm and an optional 25mm lower cap. I have a birfield I could send you, just send it back when you're done.

PaulC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deadlew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in