poor college kid f-toy build in MT - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 206871
poor college kid f-toy build in MT

so im new to this whole forum thing so play nice. im a poor college kid that cant afford to ship a hendrix cage to MT so im building one... i'm trying to keep this build under $3000 dollars, which will be a feat. i have recently picked up 120' of .095 wall 1 3/4" ewr steel tube, purchased a bender from T&J's diesel performance at affordablebender.com. i picked up a set of 36/12.5/ 16.5 goodyear wrangler military OZ tires and wheels for $300, and an 82 single cab long box toy for free.

So, as of right now im planning on building the entire thing out of odds and ends of junk. I need to figure out how to adapt the GM 8 lug wheels to a toyota 6 lug. the easiest way i can think to do it is throwing some dana 60's under it. any other ideas would be appreciated!

im in seattle until the beginning of january so the pics will be few and far between until then.
jdsummerfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 63299
you need to re-title this thread. an F-Toy is a specific chassis. You are building a knock off chassis that resembles an Ftoy but is NOT an ftoy.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 206871
oh gee im sorry i didnt know that it had to be labeled something els if it is made to the exact dimensions and looks exactly the same. how dare i insult you so much. what part of the thread did you miss that said to be nice. so if i need to re-title my post make the guy from south africa re-title his he built his own chassis. I was asking for advice not some guy on a power trip bitching about my f-toy project, and yes im still going to call it an f-toy.
jdsummerfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 81232
Do you plan to roll over with that thin wall cage? It'll be a one use cage.
GreyZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 81232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsummerfield View Post
oh gee im sorry i didnt know that it had to be labeled something els if it is made to the exact dimensions and looks exactly the same. how dare i insult you so much. what part of the thread did you miss that said to be nice. so if i need to re-title my post make the guy from south africa re-title his he built his own chassis. I was asking for advice not some guy on a power trip bitching about my f-toy project, and yes im still going to call it an f-toy.
Oh hell yeah, this should end well.
GreyZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
so im new to this whole forum thing so play nice. im a poor college kid that cant afford to ship a hendrix cage to MT so im building one... i'm trying to keep this build under $3000 dollars, which will be a feat. i have recently picked up 120' of .095 wall 1 3/4" ewr steel tube, purchased a bender from T&J's diesel performance at affordablebender.com. i picked up a set of 36/12.5/ 16.5 goodyear wrangler military OZ tires and wheels for $300, and an 82 single cab long box toy for free.

So, as of right now im planning on building the entire thing out of odds and ends of junk. I need to figure out how to adapt the GM 8 lug wheels to a toyota 6 lug. the easiest way i can think to do it is throwing some dana 60's under it. any other ideas would be appreciated!

im in seattle until the beginning of january so the pics will be few and far between until then.
first, return that tube and get 120 wall.

in order to keep it under 3k. build a exo cage around that 82 and throw some longfields in it and call it good.

poor college kids don't build buggies for good reason.

Last edited by a2b; 12-22-2011 at 07:40 PM.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 77389
^^^^^^
It's obvious he needs to go to "college" ....He doesnt appear to be to smart

Last edited by 4064RUINR; 12-22-2011 at 08:06 PM.
4064RUINR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9771
You're definitely starting off on the wrong foot. You came for advice and bitch about the first thing that's posted. Just wheel the pickup till you're ready to build a solid buggy.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 128643
as posted above wheel the truck and build the f-toy after college--or buy the chassis. if you have hummer wheels just recenter them to fit the toyota axles.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tech Editor

Member # 1656
"and yes im still going to call it an f-toy"

Then I'll have to sue for TM infringement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

camo is my hero, even if he is gay

Air Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 77630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Ride View Post

hahaha. was waitin for that!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 88822
popcorn in hand and subscribed
Old 12-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 3044
Quote:
what part of the thread did you miss that said to be nice.
Dude, grow a pair. This is Pirate, we aren't nice for a reason. Rudeness encourages better tech and honesty. Like telling you to quit being a douche and thinking you can build a buggy for $3k.

Quote:
so if i need to re-title my post make the guy from south africa re-title his he built his own chassis.
The guy from Africa can't ship a chassis, not it's too expensive, but it won't make it out of customs. Plus he's humble and accepts criticism, which you have yet to display. When you pull your head out of your a, come back and try again.

Leni

'87 4-Runner Crawler - 4-link rear and fj-80 front axle
'03 Ford Excursion Diesel - Tow pig and DD
toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Ride View Post

jdsummerfield, do yourself a favor and just wheel the crap out of that 82 Toy. This is how the Formula Toy was born. There were sooo many people with beat to hell rigs that had alot of expensive parts on them. The idea was, keep all the good parts that you have bought over the years and bolted on your pickup. Pull the cab off and install a F-Toy chassis.

You have no idea how hard it is to bend tubing. I can tell you right now there is no way you will even be able to copy an F-Toy with no bending experience. Even if you had one sitting there to measure off of, you wouldn't be abou to do it.
Once you finished it, the first time you flopped it you would see the .095 mild steel tubing would bend too easy.

Pickups are fun, go beat on it.
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 63299
Quote:

shit... i WAS being nice. i could have been rude and called you a bunch of bad things. Essentially you are saying that you are going to build a truck out of whatever parts you have laying around and your going to call it a Ford F350 (same principle). The FTOY is a chassis, not just a toyota based buggy. They are issued numbers and the guys that run them take a lot of pride in them (as do the people who build the actual chassis) They don't want you passing off your hobbled together rig as one of their well built chassis. Hurry up and delete your thread before it gets any worse!

Last edited by Spacecwboy; 12-23-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Spacecwboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
so im new to this whole forum thing so play nice. im a poor college kid that cant afford to ship a hendrix cage to MT so im building one... i'm trying to keep this build under $3000 dollars, which will be a feat.
So, as of right now im planning on building the entire thing out of odds and ends of junk.
I've got one for $7k in receipts, with lots of trading, bartering, and building.
If I figured in the actual value of the parts I bartered with, my parts list would be well over $10k.

You can't build an FToy for $3k!
Wheel your '82.

An FToy is an FToy is an FToy. A real FToy with a cage built by Hendrix will have better resale value than a similarly built Toyota buggy.
If you try to copy it, it's going to be "just another Toyota buggy". Your resale value will be no more than you can part it out.

If you want a real FToy cage that will fit your 82 frame, I know a guy in Kalispell who is heading to KOH in a month and could haul one back for you. I'm sure you and he could work something out. You might want to talk to that Air Ride feller first and make sure he's got a cage available I could pick up!!

You might consider that the owner of this forum worked with Air Ride to design and build the first FToy. Keep that in mind when you spout off to people who are defending Mr. Hendrix' intellectual property rights. I don't guess the owner of the forum is going to come to your defense that your feelings got hurt.

Just my $0.02

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 17537
3K!! Let me know how that works out. I could have bought a turn key Jimmy's rig for what I have in mine, and thats with alot of sponsorship and friend deals. Please don't insult us by calling your pile of tube a F-Toy or any other production chassis for that matter. Good Luck.
Mr Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
i forget where it is, but i kept a running total on the first build. it came to about $11k. and it still wasnt complete.

what is funny, along the way, i thought i was doing it on the cheap too lol. but it added up.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
There's a Formula4 chassis (a real one, not a hack knock off) that Hendrix would let go for $900, it has every option Hendrix offers on it. I seriously doubt you could buy the tube for that cheap. I live 45 minutes from the Hammers so it would be easy for the dude MT4runner knows to bring it back from KOH.

If you cant grasp the value and cost savings with that option then I'd imagine you're one of those retarded OWS college kids.

BTW, that 10g rig a2b mentioned was hands down the shittiest F-Toy built and we took a National Championship with it and it finished 4 KOH races
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 108480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

If you want a real FToy cage that will fit your 82 frame, I know a guy in Kalispell who is heading to KOH in a month and could haul one back for you. I'm sure you and he could work something out. You might want to talk to that Air Ride feller first and make sure he's got a cage available I could pick up!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard Dog View Post
There's a Formula4 chassis (a real one, not a hack knock off) that Hendrix would let go for $900, it has every option Hendrix offers on it. I seriously doubt you could buy the tube for that cheap. I live 45 minutes from the Hammers so it would be easy for the dude MT4runner knows to bring it back from KOH.

If you cant grasp the value and cost savings with that option then I'd imagine you're one of those retarded OWS college kids.
If he doesnt take you both up on that offer I am more than willing to. I have been trying to figure out the best way to get a formula 4 chassis shipped to Colorado. Let me know if he doesn't take you up an this deal.

I am 22 btw and I am doing exactly what they are telling you to do in this thread. I wheeled my pick up until I was ready to build a buggy. Which happens to be exactly a year after I graduated from college.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 130014
OP, you live in missoula MT and you'll have a few hours of driving anyway to get to any good legal wheeling, so IMO build the pickup...at least in can be driven to trails, if you are a real broke college kid. other wise, build a beater buggy outta a samurai and towbar it with your DD i didn't SAS my beater till i was nearly out of school
Old 12-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoToy91 View Post
If he doesnt take you both up on that offer I am more than willing to. I have been trying to figure out the best way to get a formula 4 chassis shipped to Colorado. Let me know if he doesn't take you up an this deal.
Can't build just one!

I know of a set of 1T Ford axles (balljoint 60) that could make the same ride north. Meet us in Salt Lake about midnight on Saturday after the race?

I wish I could justify the time for another project. I'd be all over a $900 x-chassis.

-
Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 9771
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I wish I could justify the time for another project. I'd be all over a $900 x-chassis.
Hell yeah! I would too. Just to do the things I thought I was doing "cheaper" all over again.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyhs View Post
Hell yeah! I would too. Just to do the things I thought I was doing "cheaper" all over again.
Actually, there's very little I'd change on mine, and I didn't make any economical sacrifices I wish I could do over.

If I built an x-chassis, it would be powered by an SC'ed 3800 and on tons with 40's or 42's.

-
Old 12-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
aint gonna lie,

i want a X chassis so bad. and after seeing azyirs crazy ass trail rig, i wanna a ls motor and big axles and 46's or whatever he was running. looked like too much fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in