#008 rebuild - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 97971
#008 rebuild

So, I've wheeled the holy hell out of the #008 since I bought it over 3 years ago now. Man! It's been great! It's bent, bruised, busted, leaks from everywhere, smokes everywhere, puffs oil out the valve cover like a steam engine, one remaining shock (driver front ), steering squeals like a horny goat, exhaust looks like modern art and I'm down to 5 knuckle studs total What a ride! Best thing I've ever owned..

I think it's time...

'91 Ex-Cab frame ..Regular cab on closer inspection...
Turbo-Propane w/EFI Intake
ARB head studs
forged pistons (maybe)
modestly built head (cam, springs, port matched, call it good)
In-boarded rears.. thinking about toolboxguy's stuff drool every time I see them.
W56 (needs rebuild)
double cases (also need a good going over)
Deavers on all 4, funds permitting
FOA's all round
Race radio
Sound system

I'm collecting parts, cleaning up my new frame, and well into the deconstruction of the patient... in fact, my axles have ready finished 6th in the EMC under the #488

So, my first question to my peers.. I haven't found many specifics about using the long frame under the short chassis. Who's done it? Any wisdom to spread?

*Edit*
...funny story! get home tonight and for the first time in the 10 months I've had it...I actually took some measurements of the frame...It's regular cab Hahahaaaaa.. I'm dumb The previous owner had torched of the entire back side of the cab for some reason and It just stuck in my head that it was an ex-cab. I amaze myself Ha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by midnightminer; 03-14-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: becuase I'm dumb sometimes gah!
midnightminer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 128643
haha.... this is going to be good! oh and i love my f-toy also! surprises me everytime i take it out!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 80201
Sumbitch did great as it was!!!
Gonna be bad ass for sure when it's done... Again. You might get your 'new and improved' axle that we borrowed back before Cinco De Baja.. Just sayin'
Degenerate Wheelers'/ Degenerate Racing #488
briansc33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Bummer. I'd like to have seen a regular FToy chassis on an xtracab frame. I think it would make more room for a back seat.

Looking forward to your build. I think this is the first frame replacement FToy rebuild to be documented!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 97971
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Bummer. I'd like to have seen a regular FToy chassis on an xtracab frame. I think it would make more room for a back seat.

Looking forward to your build. I think this is the first frame replacement FToy rebuild to be documented!
If I didn't have to do it...I probably wouldn't but man! there are so many things that are god-awe-full wrong! I have to cut out my hood bars to get the motor out. The front shock mounts have to go to make room for the turbo. and most of all, the whole thing has to be about 3" taller so my head doesn't pop out the top every time I turn it over. And then, geometry of the right rear has absolutely nothing to with the left

The easy route is to just plain start over. Nothing against Kevin the original builder, It's been a complete blast to have just as it is...but now it's time to do it right

midnightminer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightminer View Post
The easy route is to just plain start over. Nothing against Kevin the original builder, It's been a complete blast to have just as it is...but now it's time to do it right
Oh yeah.

Original build: https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601321
When you first got it: https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769315

Those of us who built later FToys were "standing on the shoulders of giants" who built the first FToys. They had to figure a lot of things out on their own. We have had a giant "cook book" of others' ideas to follow and pick and choose from.

I don't blame you a bit for changing things.
I'm sure the only thing Kevin would want is for you to wear your belts at all times.

Peeps, someday if I'm gone, do whatever you want with my buggy. It's just a thing.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 86771
This is my buddies old rig would really like to see how it looks now.
tomjordanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in