Buggy Windshield? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 203500
Buggy Windshield?

I have a leaf spring buggy, basically a home-made F-Toy if you will.. I love snow wheeling and really want/need a windshield. I have several ideas, I just want to see some ideas actually applied i.e PICTURES of your F-Toy windshields for foul weather wheeling???

Everything from custom windshields with full on wipers on down to seran wrap lets see these pics?
Truggy33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33042
Depending on your width, look for Sami, Scout 80/800, CJ flat windshield frames and wiper setup. They fold on hinges so removal is just as easy. Since you basically have a tube vehicle, put it on the inside of the front A-frame bars to protect the ws frame from damage. This would also support a canvas top to keep more heat in your immediate surroundings....just snap it to the underside of the tube.

97 SE - geared, locked, and rubbered for fun
94 S - stock, 27's, build collection started
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 203500
The Samurai windshield was my first idea, seems like a good one. Cool to know the scout ones will work too..

Others?? Pictures??

Old 12-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29208
I'm just gonna cut a piece of lexan for the front mine. It's just mainly to keep the rain and wind out of my face.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tech Editor

Member # 1656
Flat safety glass is not that expensive. In the past we have made frames out of 1/4"x 2" aluminum flat bar and then taken it to the glass shop to have safety glass put in. Then you can just zip tie it to the a pillars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

camo is my hero, even if he is gay

Air Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 203500
51 jeep willys, that's exactly what I need/want, just to keep the wind and precipitation off of me! I was hoping to find a cheaper option, but if it's something I can use season after season may as well make a lexan or safety glass windshield... Thanks.. Still wish someone would post pics
Old 12-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 29208
As soon as get mine cut ill post a pic.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 203500
Sweet man, looking forward to it!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 159557

Flat lexan, 5 dzus fasteners & works great for me. No wipers, but for trail only works great. I will be getting it some defroster vents after the next dash update, got pretty foggy in the rain at ~50 temps. I would like to have wipers for the snow, but for the effort & scratches, not worth it for me.
JETHROBODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 203500
SWEET! And thanks for the picture... This is pretty much what I am looking to do. Would FOG-X fix the defrost problem for now? I know I am not planning on wipers or interior defrost so I am hoping fog-x and rain-x will work well enough for trail and between trail driving.... (obviously wipers would be sweet, especially in the snow)
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 159557
It would probably help, but I never tried. I refuse to let go of my heater, so not a big deal to get some defrost vents up there. I run it only in the rain or extreme cold (& moving fast). Less than a minute to install or remove, & fits nicely behind the seat of the tow rig.
JETHROBODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 203500
Do most buggy owners just rough it in the snow? Put your buggies away for the winter? I am surpised by the lack of responses, pics, etc...
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truggy33 View Post
Do most buggy owners just rough it in the snow? Put your buggies away for the winter? I am surpised by the lack of responses, pics, etc...
gloves, goggles, good coat, extra set of goggle tucked in coat.

Although I am planning to go for street legal, hopefully this winter, and will do a windshield at that time. Honestly Im concerned about the snow that comes over the hood and just lands in the seats currently, it will simply pile on the hood and windshield instead. Currently it is a short time of white out when that happens. If it sits on the windshield, it would be blindness until I clear it, or have electric wipers to clear it. I do have fantasies about windshield, heater and custom soft top. Even summertime we get rain in the high country most days, so a top would be nice to have along.

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 203500
A few weeks ago I was out wheeling, dressed proper for mud/rain but ended up in the snow and snow was in my lap, all over me! Ended up cold fast. My only reason for wanting a windshield is the "shield" aspect, air, water, snow no longer blasting me between trails!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 39519
A real windshield is great i tried plastic with no luck. So i welded 1/8 x 3/4 flat around the front opening and made a w/s frame 1/8x1.5 flate drilled holes through both so i can remove it. Here are some pics. I had the safety glass cut and installed at a locale shop for around 100 bucks.

The gasket is from heavy equipment. I also made side rails to protect a little more, they also make good recovery points. Hope this helps.

Last edited by CrawlinRunner; 01-06-2013 at 03:23 PM.
CrawlinRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 203500
Very nicely done
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
I like the hinged hood, too. Got any more cool details to share?

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 39519
Its 4 linked front and rear 16 c/o front, 18 rear, 4 seats and a lockable cargo storage. It wheels good. Im running 4:10 gears and 38.5 tires.
Will be putting in D60 and D70 next summer with 7:17 gears

Her is photo link.
ftoy2011's Library | Photobucket
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 203500
SICK! Anyone else???
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1663
Dont have any pics yet, but I cut a piece of lexan to the dimensions of the windshield frame, and used the cheap hardware store pipe hangers (used to attach gas lines to a wall, for a furnace, etc) and bolted them through the lexan. In Colorado, to be street legal, you need a windshield wiper. I bought a cheap manual wiper assy from JC Whitney for ~$5.
I only used the windshield to pass inspection and occassionally to drive it on road, otherwise it is goggles/glasses.
For snow / cold weather wheeling, I wheel one of my other rigs.

EDIT: Added photo

Last edited by maveric; 01-07-2013 at 07:12 AM.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 203500
Right on... Guess I am sticking with goggles, facemask, and the works clothing-wise
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 25750
this is a great thread. my rig is at the shop bein fitted with a soft top now. the plan is for a removable windshield to be made next. I found some good ideas here. I will post up my rig when things come together.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 203500
Let us see the windshield!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Buggy Windshield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinRunner View Post
A real windshield is great i tried plastic with no luck. So i welded 1/8 x 3/4 flat around the front opening and made a w/s frame 1/8x1.5 flate drilled holes through both so i can remove it. Here are some pics. I had the safety glass cut and installed at a locale shop for around 100 bucks.

The gasket is from heavy equipment. I also made side rails to protect a little more, they also make good recovery points. Hope this helps.
Have you wheeled this setup? Looks like a work in progress. Does windshield sit outside the frame or inside ? I'm not sure where you're at but around here we have lots of trees to deal with and it seems like I'm "rubbing" them with my a-pillars often enough that I'd need a windshield inside not out.

"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo

Last edited by mtbrjon; 03-13-2013 at 03:09 AM.
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 25750
both crawlinrunner and I are in Nevada. trees here are optional, and they cost extra. he's in Vegas, and I'm in Reno

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in