FTOY frame question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8827
FTOY frame question

I have a somewhat silly question. I know the "correct" way to build an FTOY is to move the motor back 6-8 inches and set it up flatbelly. Well Im lazy and was wondering if its possible to just remove the body/tub off my current rig and weld an ftoy chassis further forward on the frame, if needed extend the front of the frame. I have no intention of building a comp legal rig, Im just looking to build a party rated trail rig.

I got a chance to pickup an ftoy chassis from a buddy of mine and figured this would be the quickest way to lighten up my current pig.

Suggestions and flames are greatly appreciated
Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 26758
This is how the builder of my FToy set it up. Seems to work fine, but would've preferred to be able to mount a winch behind the radiator and I worry sometimes about the tie rod hitting the oil pan if I'm bombing a dirt road or something. Nice thing is you can use a lot of bolt on parts like motor mounts, xfer case cross member.

Had I built this one, I would've moved the engine back, but I'm not going to do it now thats its already done
F-Toy #43
hondastomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dychen View Post
I have a somewhat silly question. I know the "correct" way to build an FTOY is to move the motor back 6-8 inches and set it up flatbelly. Well Im lazy and was wondering if its possible to just remove the body/tub off my current rig and weld an ftoy chassis further forward on the frame, if needed extend the front of the frame. I have no intention of building a comp legal rig, Im just looking to build a party rated trail rig.

I got a chance to pickup an ftoy chassis from a buddy of mine and figured this would be the quickest way to lighten up my current pig.

I look at the tcase mount as having to be redone regardless. So its just 2 motor mounts. And changing it later is not going to be possible. Move the motor back 8" now.

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:

man don't let yourself get boxed in by what is "correct". there is no "correct" way to do anything. do what you want. who said flat belly was correct?

that said, there is advice you should probably take heed of.

lets get one thing straight, it is not a fast process by any means to take your body off and put on the chassis. in no way shape or form is that a fast process. it sounds quick but its not, you are still building a buggy. therefore, considering the 100s or 1000s of man hours that will be put into it, moving the motor back is one of the easy and quickest things to do out of all the task to be done.

and if its not done, you can't do it later and it will great consquences on your buggy build. even more than weight distribution, the main benefit is like room for your winch and clearence for steering linkage/ram when suspension is stuffed, etc...
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8827
Next silly question (and yes I've spent many of hours cracking out on the the internet searching)

Would you use a factory frame or make one yourself if you were to build a ftoy today? I was reading the rocklimo thread and it seems like it worked great.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Next silly question (and yes I've spent many of hours cracking out on the the internet searching)

Would you use a factory frame or make one yourself if you were to build a ftoy today? I was reading the rocklimo thread and it seems like it worked great.
The only reason I would build a custom frame would be for some out of the box suspension setups which would be for racing. For trail rides I would use the factory frame. It should be lighter than what you custom build and that's a plus. But if you don't have a frame, them just do what you have to. Just don't rush it. Take a year or more if you have to and get it done right.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Don't do it.... You'll want the runner for camping trips with your new baby. Congrats btw brother.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Don't do it.... You'll want the runner for camping trips with your new baby. Congrats btw brother.
Thank you very much bother. I hear you on keeping the runner, the problems Im running into are even being a giant vajaja with the skinny petal I keep breaking crap and while my poop pipe cage works wonderfully for keeping rocks from destroying my body, a cargo rack and a prime example of how not to build an exo skeleton, I dont trust it with precious cargo onboard. Im thinking a light weight buggy with a chassis built by a professional would be the easiest way to keep my drivetrain together and protect the family.

What I envision doing is building something like humbugs buggy, IE leaf sprung toyota buggy with a windshield and a top for winter runs.

Last edited by Dychen; 09-02-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Dychen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Shoulda kept the Sami.... Nothing quick about a build. I remember when Scott pulled his cab and thought he'd be done in 3 months. I can't talk though, I have not been able to finish any build for over 3 years. 1st gen runner with a good internal cage?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Shoulda kept the Sami.... Nothing quick about a build. I remember when Scott pulled his cab and thought he'd be done in 3 months. I can't talk though, I have not been able to finish any build for over 3 years. 1st gen runner with a good internal cage?
Getting rid of the sami made sense at the time, I thought I could be a responsible adult and keep a street wheeler together, I was wrong

I know your right about the build time, takes me forever to build/fix anything. I almost bought one of the 4x innovation internal cages, but the fear I had was keeping the body straight enough to keep the windshield and put the top back on. Nevermind i'd still be full on lead turd status.

Going from a sami to a sami buggy to my full bodied 4runner was an interesting change. Spent a few trips on the trail going "why am I so gay? I've spent the money" being the complete trail tampoon/fag-a-tron, before realizing/learning that I needed to take different lines given my wheel-base and weight.

All that being said, i know you built one of the first F-Toy's, what did and didnt work for you about it?

Last edited by Dychen; 09-02-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Timing... We wanted to buy a house (buggy was a better investment looking back) and it sat 20+ days out of the month. Mine was actually the first non-conformula, I built from scratch with only a section of toy frame and a reduction box being Toyota parts. The concept is great for someone with a smashed trail rig, looking to go to the next level. For the time and cost of tube, it cannot be beat as long as you don't mind the styling. The process is not fast, unless you're Hobie but by the time he re-did everything the first time, he had a ton of hours into it. Packing gear for a young family would be near impossible. The chassis would have required a fair amount of work to add a 3rd seat as well.

If breakage is your problem, I'd start there. Your rig is heavy and I'm guessing you have larger than 37" tires? That's a lot for toy axles. Shedding weight on a 2nd gen runner is hard, while keeping the elements out. May just need bigger axles?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8827
Ok, so it was more of a personal/financial choice then "this thing is crap".

As far as packing for the family, my thought was to extend the roof back to make more room for a rear seat, leaving just enough room for a fuel cell with an ice chest rack and maybe a ammo can or two for tools/parts. Everything else would go on the roof. Here is a picture of how we did it a couple years back with 5 people in my rig

Surprisingly it was still quite stable, stable enough that I could still do some pretty stupid things. I thought about going to 60's, but when I ran the cost and all the other hassle that goes along with it, i figured it would be better to build something lighter using what I already got.

Last edited by Dychen; 09-02-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 7233
For some reason, I thought you had a 2nd gen You need to step down to 37's. keep the 39's for the snow if you must. I can beat on my Sami with sticky 37" trep's. I won't run larger in the summer, but will in the snow.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8827
Biggest reason I went to 39's in teh first place was the sidewall flex, to make up for the rough riding 4 inch TG springs. Made a HUGE difference in comfort on the trail.

The other question I had is for the norcal trails, whats everyones thoughts on running 110+ wb? Coming from sami's it seems like a terrible idea, but I just picked up a rear disco so I've been wondering if that would make it more viable. Reason why I ask is I've been thinking of the formula 4 might be a good call for the extra backseat room.

Last edited by Dychen; 09-02-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7233
My Ftoy buggy was 110" and beater buggy was 112'" wheel with a guy that is 10'. Toy xcabs will be 113-124" iirc. No issues

Last edited by Wilson; 09-02-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Run what you brung.

Member # 40432
I went to 115 when I linked my 4Runner and love it but I also went to tons and 42's so that factors into the set up as well.
gottoys2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in