Probalby no way to prevent this but.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Probalby no way to prevent this but....

I know this isn't a true F-Toy but felt I would get better advice in this forum rather than in the general Toy forum from full body guys.

In case there is and i'm missing it....any way to make this stronger so this doesn't happen again?

I mean besides not running it into shit.

Tube is supposed to be straight in the middle there.

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Take the skin off and take a side pic. It doesn't look like you have much bracing.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Take the skin off and take a side pic. It doesn't look like you have much bracing.
I can't think of any way to brace it from getting bent inward.

I think when I cut it out, i'll put another sleeve of heavy wall inside it and do the other side as a preventive measure.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 55805
You can't see all of it in the picture but it's much like this....(not mine)

This is mine, driver's side, unbent side.

Last edited by MuddyPaws; 05-11-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
It just looks like the bend was directly between the supports. Shorter spans are stiffer.

& Blaine

Old 05-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
you can see in that ftoy pic that the good looking guy is in, the span is pretty large and yours is the same way. i dont have any measurements in front of me.

what most ftoys do, is put a cross tube, 1' back from where the a pillar comes down.

like frank said, just try to make the span as small as possible is really all you can do.

we all been down this road before. good call coming to this forum for advice on the subject

i will see if i can find a pic

Last edited by a2b; 05-11-2014 at 04:20 PM.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
haha. i found pics of me doing the same repair that you are gonna have to do. mike hendrix in the pic here sporting the sawzall

and here it is after the fix. terrible picture of the tubes added. but you can see i added a small b pillar. at that point, there is a 1.75" 120 wall tube running the accross to the other side.

it looks like you totally have room to span another x bar in your cab.

the next x tube is right behind the seats. i bet the space is 3'. you get the idea.

Last edited by a2b; 05-11-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b View Post
haha. i found pics of me doing the same repair that you are gonna have to do. mike hendrix in the pic here sporting the sawzall

and here it is after the fix. terrible picture of the tubes added. but you can see i added a small b pillar. at that point, there is a 1.75" 120 wall tube running the accross to the other side.

it looks like you totally have room to span another x bar in your cab.

the next x tube is right behind the seats. i bet the space is 3'. you get the idea.
I do have a X with a line through it (typical shoulder height with harnesses mounted to it) behind the seats.

I think i'm going to replace it and see if I can sleeve the inside with another tube and add that B pillar you put in yours.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
I do have a X with a line through it (typical shoulder height with harnesses mounted to it) behind the seats.

I think i'm going to replace it and see if I can sleeve the inside with another tube and add that B pillar you put in yours.
oh i didnt mean the X shape. i meant x for cross. on mine, there is actually a tube crossing at the b pillar. (right above the V in valley on the side} if you look at it from the outside you would think that it would hit your legs but it doesnt actually in application.

in this image here, at the first vertical pillar, you could run a tube from side to side on the inside of your cab and that would strengthen that span by like 10x cuz that dent is about where the tube would be and it wouldnt of dented hardly at all if that interior tube had been there whether it was sleeved or not.

Last edited by a2b; 05-11-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Quote:
oh i didnt mean the X shape. i meant x for cross. on mine, there is actually a tube crossing at the b pillar. (right above the V in valley on the side} if you look at it from the outside you would think that it would hit your legs but it doesnt actually in application.

in this image here, at the first vertical pillar, you could run a tube from side to side on the inside of your cab and that would strengthen that span by like 10x cuz that dent is about where the tube would be and it wouldnt of dented hardly at all if that interior tube had been there whether it was sleeved or not.
I really appreciate the input and the lack of flaming.....but my brain is just not comprehending what you are getting at. LOL

Must be that it's the last 3 weeks of school and my brain is in overdrive writing final exams for my students and end of the year paperwork.

Got a pic of this bar you have?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Oh wait...I think I get it.

I'll have to look and see if that will interfere with my shifter. That bar would give me a place to mount a oh shit bar also since I don't have one yet.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
Oh wait...I think I get it.

I'll have to look and see if that will interfere with my shifter. That bar would give me a place to mount a oh shit bar also since I don't have one yet.
yep, thats it. i had to bend my shifter back a bit. and yes its convient too. you can mount radios on it or handles because its in reach. i wish i had done it the first time around.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
yep, thats it. i had to bend my shifter back a bit. and yes its convient too. you can mount radios on it or handles because its in reach. i wish i had done it the first time around.
Probably would have got in the way of your sweet pedal assembly!

& Blaine

Old 05-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 55805
So plan is a B pillar with a brace to the dash somehow. Replacing the tube and putting a heavier wall sleeve inside it. And possibly running a bar from the outside of the front of the bend to the bar that my shock mounts to. If you get what I mean there.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Probably would have got in the way of your sweet pedal assembly!

frank with the jokes...
Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
frank with the jokes...
I don't have much else.

& Blaine

Old 05-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 207564
how about a tube from hood line to the belt line tube. should miss your knee and add some triangulation and might blend in to the tube work
Old 06-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 36007
What tubing is your rig built from? We had some light silver colored DOM once from Taiwan that would bend and dent really easy. I like that dark colored tubing better.

"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrjon View Post
I like that dark colored tubing better.
thats what i heard about you
Old 06-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 31552
Didn't fully read the whole thread, but I saw you mention sleeving the repair area. Maybe run a new door bar in 1.75 x .188" DOM and replace the 1" up-right bracing with 1.5 x .125 or .188. It just seems like the bracing is pretty light (from my computer...)
Old 08-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 164049
Id like to see more pics of this unit.
smurfy90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrjon View Post
What tubing is your rig built from? We had some light silver colored DOM once from Taiwan that would bend and dent really easy. I like that dark colored tubing better.
No idea...just DOM from a metal shop. I would have to pull out the reciept for any more info than that.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy90 View Post
Id like to see more pics of this unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in