Spec tire for F-toys?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Spec tire for F-toys??

I searched but didn't find anything on this. If someone finds a thread i'll delete this one.

This will likely not be popular question but has anyone considered a spec tire for the Ftoy class? It's obvious that the guys with sticky tires have an advantage in most conditions. The price for these tires is a bit high though. 2 different sizes of say the Irok would be cool and these are way less expensive and easier to obtain than Red Label Krawlers or the like. If putting everyone on a level playing field is the objective then I think this deserves consideration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40
racing ain't cheap...........

[COLOR=Red]--

:evil: # 530.532.4529:evil:[/COLOR]
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR].

SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tech Editor

Member # 1656
If you are competing it is pretty easy to get racer prices for tires and not that hard to get free ones from some companies.
I think in the future there we might be able to get a tire sponsor for the class. This would mean that everyone competing in the full series would get tires (free or big discount) and everyone would run the same tire.

camo is my hero, even if he is gay

Air Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Ride
If you are competing it is pretty easy to get racer prices for tires and not that hard to get free ones from some companies.
I think in the future there we might be able to get a tire sponsor for the class. This would mean that everyone competing in the full series would get tires (free or big discount) and everyone would run the same tire.
That sounds good.

I wasn't that concerned about price but more with equally equiped vehicles.

Last edited by mtbrjon; 12-02-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
ya tires can be a pretty big advantage. if we got a tires sponsor, then it would be a pain in the butt to get everyone to run it, because what if it was tires that only came in 17" wheels? and what if some folks didnt want to run them but the tire sponsor required them to....either way, not everyone would be happy, even with free tires. but thats the norm in racing so whatever. tire companies dont nesecarily want to sponosor a whole class, they want to see their tire beat the other tires out there. if we all run one tire, then no tire lost, so to speak.

that said, you can scrounge some 15's and cheep SX's for under a grand, but the guy with 4k can get some nice 17's and krawlers...so there is a big money difference and performance difference.

but luckily to kill the whole debate is the fact that this year, i won the whole championship, with 15's and cheap DOT goodyear MTR's from tirerack.com......hahahahahaha

(side note, next year i am bringin it with red label krawlers and 17" alum wheels)
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b
ya tires can be a pretty big advantage. if we got a tires sponsor, then it would be a pain in the butt to get everyone to run it, because what if it was tires that only came in 17" wheels? and what if some folks didnt want to run them but the tire sponsor required them to....either way, not everyone would be happy, even with free tires. but thats the norm in racing so whatever. tire companies dont nesecarily want to sponosor a whole class, they want to see their tire beat the other tires out there. if we all run one tire, then no tire lost, so to speak.

that said, you can scrounge some 15's and cheep SX's for under a grand, but the guy with 4k can get some nice 17's and krawlers...so there is a big money difference and performance difference.

but luckily to kill the whole debate is the fact that this year, i won the whole championship, with 15's and cheap DOT goodyear MTR's from tirerack.com......hahahahahaha

(side note, next year i am bringin it with red label krawlers and 17" alum wheels)
Good point.

I'm running what I got, 37 MTRs, 38 sx's or 40 Iroks until those get assed out then maybe I can save up for some stickys.

Last edited by mtbrjon; 12-02-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrjon
Good point.

I'm running what I got, 37 MTRs, 38 sx's or 40 Iroks until those get assed out then maybe I can save up for some stickys.

for west coast wheelin, i vote MTR's or SX's if you sipe up real good like heywoods.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b
for west coast wheelin, i vote MTR's or SX's if you sipe up real good like heywoods.
Out here the Iroks win for trail riding. Not sure about comps as i've only seen one and that was Spartanburg and it was manmade so the MTRs would probably work well there. Since I have them all i'll probably swap around depending on conditions.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25217
Send a message via AIM to RockwelledToyota
TSL's are a big plus around here..
Old 12-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3370
I think redlabels should be against the rules.... now thats an advantage $ or knowing someone can get you.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 76617
not trying to make waves. But after a year and a half of comps with Irocs I had a chance to try some stickey tires (interco brand) and belive me I will have some for 07 providing we dont go to a spec tire. Now if T.G. will get their wheels in we,ll be all set.

Last edited by benttoy; 12-04-2006 at 06:32 PM.
benttoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 16333
Send a message via AIM to RedNeckRea Send a message via MSN to RedNeckRea
fwiw (and this is from an "outsider")....

a spec tire would not be a good idea in my honest opinion. while the f-toy class is about evening the odds as much as possible, tires should be driver choice. at least with the f-toys, I've seen all kinds of tires competing and winning. pro-comps, mtrs, swampers, bfgs, etc.

it's a gamble choosin which tire to run. in some terrains the sticky crawlers work best, while some terrains a bias iroc will work a little better. leave it up to the driver to choose which one they wanna run and play the odds.

at least from what i've seen of competitions (CalRocs, We-Rock, coupla Pro-rock, and one UROC) while tire choice plays an important role it does NOT make up for bad driving or bad vehicle prep.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4862
Knowing that tire selection is a big deal I have to say that D-Toy and I had really good tires and wheels (Interco Sticky's with Pro Comp 17's and Staun Internal Beadlocks) and we still got smoked by Hobie with the worst fricking tires (37"x12.50"x15" MTR's) in the history of crawling. What does that say about tires to you...

fatkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Matt Messer

Member # 39978
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkid
Knowing that tire selection is a big deal I have to say that D-Toy and I had really good tires and wheels (Interco Sticky's with Pro Comp 17's and Staun Internal Beadlocks) and we still got smoked by Hobie with the worst fricking tires (37"x12.50"x15" MTR's) in the history of crawling. What does that say about tires to you...
MTR's.......Dirty Love!

ACE-CAGE-#29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkid
Shhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiish............don't say that to loud, some on here (99%, ie: the shit talking webwheeling P.C.E.s) think the tire is 99% of why a rig wins a comp, or makes a hill etc

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 12-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass44
Shhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiish............don't say that to loud, some on here (99%, ie: the shit talking webwheeling P.C.E.s) think the tire is 99% of why a rig wins a comp, or makes a hill etc

I wouldn't say 99% but if it didn't give any advantage why is everyone in competive rock crawling jumping on the chance to run em? I like my SX's but even grooved and siped they aren't the stickiest tires...

So for those of us out of country or out of the main rockcrawling areas...anyone willing to give us some contact info or the information needed so we can get competetor pricing on some sticky's?

Last edited by Pook; 12-04-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Pook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Ok so what does the BOD think?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Ok so what does the BOD think?
BOD says any tire on the market...
Old 12-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b
BOD says any tire on the market...
What tires you gonna use in 07 ?

Never mind I read the small print. Seems such a waste to get rid of those mtr's that worked so good. Maybe the champ get Red Labels free?

I have seen a few sets of used Red Labels and have heard these tires work just as well worn down as new so maybe i'll go that route. Probably just wait and see if I get my ass handed to me because of my tires then i'll spend the money. Probaly not what's gonna gonna get me beat at first anyway.

Last edited by mtbrjon; 12-05-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 19246
Send a message via AIM to Tim Florian
Quote:
What tires you gonna use in 07 ?

Never mind I read the small print. Seems such a waste to get rid of those mtr's that worked so good. Maybe the champ get Red Labels free?

I have seen a few sets of used Red Labels and have heard these tires work just as well worn down as new so maybe i'll go that route. Probably just wait and see if I get my ass handed to me because of my tires then i'll spend the money. Probaly not what's gonna gonna get me beat at first anyway.
I hear the champ is doing all kinds of upgrades to his rig to offset his spotter leaving.

As for the sticky crawlers, yes they work better when there worn in. My experiance with them showed me that they need to be below 80% to really start working there best.
Skinny Pedal Motorsports #2175. Please support those that support us.

Trail-Gear
Sway Away
PSC
Trans Action (Sun Valley CA)
Kick Ass Offroad / Performance Cryogenics
Spidertrax
BFG
Tim Florian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Florian
I hear the champ is doing all kinds of upgrades to his rig to offset his spotter leaving.

As for the sticky crawlers, yes they work better when there worn in. My experiance with them showed me that they need to be below 80% to really start working there best.

that is real interesting!

cause most the stickies sold in the 4sale section here are at 70-80%, looks like the sellers getting rid of them right when they are starting to work there best maybe they don't know any better

do you need to get them smokin hot to work best????

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 12-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 19246
Some of the teams in the pro mod and unlimited classess shave the edges off the tires before they ever run them. I won't need to because one weekend at the hammers takes care of all the edges . I'll be running the hammers for practice. So the tires will be right in the 80% range by the first comp.

Trail-Gear
Sway Away
PSC
Spidertrax
BFG
Old 12-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 76617
Gee Tim do you rotate the rears to the front half way thru the day
your the front dig king
Old 12-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 19246
Quote:
Originally Posted by benttoy
Gee Tim do you rotate the rears to the front half way thru the day
your the front dig king
Nah! I just got excited watching all the pro's at worlds

Trail-Gear
Sway Away
PSC
Spidertrax
BFG
Old 12-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 76617
I thought I saw a twinkle in your eyes everytime you did one At first I thought I was the lighting now I know better . BTW did you get your new comp rig yet ??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in