Thinking about building an F-toy for comp. Have questions... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
M1

Member # 53835
Thinking about building an F-toy for comp. Have questions...

I have a good 22rte, is this allowed. I really dont want to get rid of this motor. I also have a set of FJ80 axles, are these allowed? Thanks for any info, the rules aren't clear enough.
M1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1 View Post
I have a good 22rte, is this allowed. I really dont want to get rid of this motor. I also have a set of FJ80 axles, are these allowed? Thanks for any info, the rules aren't clear enough.
No to the 80 axles.

The rules are so clear it's laughable.
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
the rules aren't clear enough.

here, i copied this straight from the rules.

Toyota 20r, 21ru ,22r, 22re engines are allowed

Front Axle
Front axle must be from 1979 - 1985 Toyota Pickup or 4Runner

Rear Axle
Rear axle must be from 1979 - 1995 Toyota Pickup or 4Runner

....doesnt say turbo is allowed. and it doesnt say anything about FJ's....so no, according to the rules neither the motor you have or axles are legal.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 51614
Quote:
I went through this getting started and the best advice I got was to start from a bare frame. Then add a 22re and tranny, then cases, then a straight axle front and ifs rear, wire it, plumb it, safety it up then compete. Seriously, the rules are backward to most motorsports, the rules state what you can do, not what you can't, so like the intro to them says:

"If the rules say you CAN do it...then you can do it. If the rules don't address a particular modification, you can assume it's not going to be permitted."

I'm doing what I wrote, with a print out of the rules hanging from the tool box. Don't let the smarta$$ remarks run you off this really is the best class to get into if you want to compete and have fun but don't want a fortune in your ride or hobby in general. Most of the guys on here are shall we say witty with their remarks but are helpful when you ask build questions.

Last edited by superpile; 01-16-2007 at 04:30 PM.
superpile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 30134
Your best bet is to not try thinking outside the box, or trying to play in the gray areas.
azyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
M1

Member # 53835
Thanks for the info. I guess I just need to be told NO.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I guess I just need to be told NO.
Don't sweat it man it felt funny to me at first as well but if you hang around here long enough or go to a comp it'll be more clear. Just get a chassis and start building but don't think you're gonna build a rig that'll beat everybody else. It's mostly driver and spotter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo

Last edited by mtbrjon; 01-17-2007 at 07:09 AM.
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 76617
In my case its mostly spotter cause I drive with my eyes closed
benttoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrjon View Post
don't think you're gonna build a rig that'll beat everybody else. It's mostly driver and spotter.

i think we need tshirts with that on there. no matter how many times i have told people that, i find out later that they are trying to do something sneaky that they think will make their buggy win comps.

BUGGYS DONT WIN COMPS, DRIVERS AND SPOTTERS DO!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
M1

Member # 53835
Quote:
Don't sweat it man it felt funny to me at first as well but if you hang around here long enough or go to a comp it'll be more clear. Just get a chassis and start building but don't think you're gonna build a rig that'll beat everybody else. It's mostly driver and spotter.
Thats what interests me in competing in this class. Its a competition of skills, not a competition of money. This will be my third yota build now. I was going to do an 84 pickup but now I want to compete, so f-toy is the way to go. The axles I can do without and the motor I can do without, but I still would want more power than a stock 22r or re. I take a few trips a year to the snow, and you guys all know that that a little extra power is hole lot more fun in the snow. I dont see a turbo motor being much of an advantage in rock crawling. Is there any f-toys with performance upgrades?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 422
Quote:
Thats what interests me in competing in this class. Its a competition of skills, not a competition of money. This will be my third yota build now. I was going to do an 84 pickup but now I want to compete, so f-toy is the way to go. The axles I can do without and the motor I can do without, but I still would want more power than a stock 22r or re. I take a few trips a year to the snow, and you guys all know that that a little extra power is hole lot more fun in the snow. I dont see a turbo motor being much of an advantage in rock crawling. Is there any f-toys with performance upgrades?
Cam and exhaust
Formula Toy #006; Thanks to Deaver Spring, High Angle Driveline, Longfields, Rock Buggy Supply, PRP Seats, Marlin Crawler, Coast Motor Supply and RockStomper.

RE:Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 35515
Quote:
here's a huge post about how different motors are built....

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542881

good luck with the build!
hugh jeffner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Is there any f-toys with performance upgrades?

LC and DOA .... of course you can raise the compression, cam, exhaust....i just had a motor built, but really to stock specs...cam and exhaust are on it and thats it. it has alot more torque than my other carb motor did for sure.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
M1

Member # 53835
Those are the more expensive routes that i was trying to avoid. I was going to throw a $400 turbo, a set of arp head studs, and propane on my motor, and call it good. basically the same setup the guys at got propane have, around 150 hp. Thats just enough for me. I really wish this was allowed. Seems like the rules on performce upgrades should be all or nothing. It should limit all performce upgrades or none at all. Or maybe just a limit on how much horsepower and torque you can have. This is frustrating!

On a different note I have some other questions. Do you guys run wheel spacers on the front to match the rear width? Is there wheel base limitations? Is there limits on how high or low you can mount your chassis to frame?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
M1

Member # 53835
This is the sort of thing that made me say the rules aren't clear enough. If a particular modifiction isn't mentioned assume its not legal. cam and exhaust is not mentioned yet there are f-toys with these mods. So who's making the rules and whos bending them???
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Is there wheel base limitations? Is there limits on how high or low you can mount your chassis to frame?
no and nope
Old 01-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
So who's making the rules and whos bending them???

i make the rules and i bend them

j/k

the Board of Directors revises the rules each year. and nobody bends them
Old 01-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Quote:
This is the sort of thing that made me say the rules aren't clear enough. If a particular modifiction isn't mentioned assume its not legal. cam and exhaust is not mentioned yet there are f-toys with these mods. So who's making the rules and whos bending them???
All engines have cams and exhausts but they don't all have turbos. I think the rules are clear on this. Like I said just hang around for a while, look and listen, but don't say much and it'll come to you. Remember the rules were made to simplify the class. Think simple. Have you wheeled a buggy before? It weighs a lot less than a truck so the power of a .040 over, cam'd, and exhausted? 22re is plenty. I've been playin a bit with mine and even with the auto trans it has more power (engine new and not even broken in yet) than my hopped up re engine in my 4runner.

"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 06:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Matt Messer

Member # 39978
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b View Post
i make the rules and i bend them

j/k

the Board of Directors revises the rules each year. and nobody bends them

YEAH RIGHT MR.!

ACE-CAGE-#29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
M1

Member # 53835
Quote:
All engines have cams and exhausts but they don't all have turbos. I think the rules are clear on this.
A modification is a modifiction. These aren't addressed so they arent legal, if you want to get technical. But im not sweating it. I just dont want to do these mods. I want a turbo damb it!
Old 01-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
M1

Member # 53835
Quote:
Remember the rules were made to simplify the class. Think simple. Have you wheeled a buggy before? It weighs a lot less than a truck so the power of a .040 over, cam'd, and exhausted? 22re is plenty.
I do think simple, but I also think inexpensive. No I havent wheeled a buggy, Its time for something different.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
M1

Member # 53835
Oh ya, wheel spacers?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Oh ya, wheel spacers?

most people run wheel spaces. though the spacer strategy of most builders doesnt have to do with the keeping the width of the front and rear the same. the only reason i have spacers in the front, is because, with 37's, my tires run into the leaf springs too much if i dont have spacers. depending on your wheel/tire combination, get a spacer that will allow you to turn all the way to your desired turning point.

if you considering comps, most people try to keep the rig narrow as could be.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
Quote:
But im not sweating it. I just dont want to do these mods. I want a turbo damb it!
So basicly you think the rules are lame because you can't use the parts you already have laying around
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 19246
Send a message via AIM to Tim Florian
Quote:
I do think simple, but I also think inexpensive.
So sell the turbo motor, and buy a 22re or 22r. You'll be money ahead and we won't have to listen to your whining any more.
Skinny Pedal Motorsports #2175. Please support those that support us.

Trail-Gear
Sway Away
PSC
Trans Action (Sun Valley CA)
Kick Ass Offroad / Performance Cryogenics
Spidertrax
BFG
Tim Florian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in