a few stupid ?s about f-toys - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78545
a few stupid ?s about f-toys

Ok I have a few questions first of all I think the f-toys are sweet I just discovered this the other day but Im sure there are no events near Ky. but

-Im just wondering why do you move the engine back 8"s is it too keep weight fairly even?

-In boarding the springs is moving the spring mount on the inside of the frame correct? does this throw shackle angle off or do you move that too?

-Also Im thinking of going tube frame and I cant get a good pic of a 4 seater toyota tube chassis ive been to hendrix and searched google anyone have some good shots i need inspiration thanks

-Flame on...........as usual...................
KILLCRAWL80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
W.E.ROCK Eastern USA Series Events

April 13th - 14th …………….Missouri ………………Eastern US Nationals # 1

May 11th – 12th ……………Dayton, TN ………….Eastern US Nationals # 2

June 8th – 10th …………….Jelico, TN..…Eastern US Nationals # 3

July 13th – 15th ……………Rausch Creek, PA ……………….Eastern US Nationals # 4

Sept. 14th – 16th …………..Boyd, Texas ………………Grand National Finals

January 13th - 15th 2008 ………………………Sydney, Australia ………….W.E.ROCK World Finals
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLCRAWL80 View Post

-Im just wondering why do you move the engine back 8"s is it too keep weight fairly even?

-In boarding the springs is moving the spring mount on the inside of the frame correct? does this throw shackle angle off or do you move that too?

-Also Im thinking of going tube frame and I cant get a good pic of a 4 seater toyota tube chassis ive been to hendrix and searched google anyone have some good shots i need inspiration thanks

-Flame on...........as usual...................

- yes

- yes and you move the shackle hanger with it

- you arent going to find a picture of a 4 seater ftoy with round tube frame

everyone who gets a ftoy welds it onto a boxed frame of some sorts. otherwise, they get a X chassis

Old 05-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 78545
so your saying its not possible to tube frame (not necessarily an ftoy style) a stock toyota frame and get 4 seats. I thought hendrix has a chassis with a rear seat that wasnt an X Chassis and was mounted to an xtracab or longbed frame, did i read it wrong?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 87363
I think in the rules it states that you must use a pre 95 4runner or toyota truck frame.
BAL4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
so your saying its not possible to tube frame (not necessarily an ftoy style) a stock toyota frame and get 4 seats. I thought hendrix has a chassis with a rear seat that wasnt an X Chassis and was mounted to an xtracab or longbed frame, did i read it wrong?
round tube or sqaure tube? i am assuming you are talking about round tube. most people say stock toy "frame" when talking about the frame.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 39414
Where are you at in Ky i'm debating on building an F-toy too
Old 05-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 36007
I have 2 words for all those who are "thinking" or "contemplating" or "pondering" or ................DO IT!! sucka. You will not regret it. It will be the easiest way to get a buggy built and will outperform any other truck you have ever had. You can spend major $$$ and time building the end all super go to hell v8 buggy and have it done sometime 2 years from now and have your credit cards maxed out or just build a Ftoy save some dough and whip up on most of your v8 buggy friends then come out to the Werock East and kick my ass too. My .02 worth but WTF do I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 78545
muddy yota im kind of in between counties but im closer to bullitt/spencer what about you. And yes I mean take a "stock toyota frame" and "tube it out" like the f-toy chassis that hendrix sales with round tubing im assuming 1 3/4" or 2" 0.120 wall. basically a big roll cage with wheels. Im just looking to do some trail riding and I want to build a round tube cage to go on my stock toy frame similar to what you guys do. And if I remember correctly if you run in the f-toy class your not allowed to build your own chassis?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 39414
I'm in somerset, pulaski county.

mtbrjon - I'm collecting all my parts right now for it so when i order my chassis i can start building and have it done fairly quickly
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 292
You can do whatever you want to "Tube Out" your toyota frame. BUT, once you get prices on the tubing and take in consideration the process of coming up with a good design, you will find that the $1000 for an F-Toy chassis a cheaper route AND you are guarenteed that It will not look like shit when you are done
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertoy View Post
You can do whatever you want to "Tube Out" your toyota frame. BUT, once you get prices on the tubing and take in consideration the process of coming up with a good design, you will find that the $1000 for an F-Toy chassis a cheaper route AND you are guarenteed that It will not look like shit when you are done
I wouldnt say it that way, Ive seen lots of nicely built tubed rigs. However, starting with a Hendrix chassis does give you a great platform, and running into quirks (which you will) will be much easier to sort out. Cost vs. time wise. Youll have plenty of time to put in more tube (we've added ~40-50' into ours) and do much more interesting things without loosing patience, interest, or just getting overwhelmed.

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Minimum 300' DOM tubing to build a basic chassis @ $3.00 per ft = $900.00+ tax. So for another few hundred $ you get someone else to bend all the tubes and notch them and get it all together level and true and it looks sweet. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 78545
You have a good point Im not taking away from that but i think we are getting away from my first point, im looking for a trail rig built similar to an ftoy that i can get 4 seats in, all i want to know is can you do that with a ftoy chassis? I have an 82 reg cab longbed frame, i wouldnt mind getting a hendrix chassis or whoever else makes them if i can get 4 seats in it somewhat comfortably. yes price and time are a huge factor especially for me im selling some of my crap to build a 4 seater toyota based buggy of some kind. Im wanting to stick with leafs and mainly all stock stuff for now just like you guys but i want 4 seats. I saw one of the hendrix chassis had an optional rear seat bar but i thought it was for a shortbed frame so im thinking it would be easy to get 4 seats in mine? and if they make an ftoy chassis to accomodate 4 seats than yeah i would love to make some of the events but for now i just want a trail rig. I hope I made this clear what i think and what i type arent always the same thing sorry
Old 05-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tech Editor

Member # 1656
That would be the Formula Four chassis.

From the web site:
HREW Formula Chassis $999.00
DOM Formula Chassis $1199.00 (same as HREW except all perimeter tubes are replaced with DOM)
DOM Formula Four Chassis $1399 (chassis is stretched 12" to fit extra cab or long bed frame. Chassis has room for 4 full size seats)

camo is my hero, even if he is gay

Air Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Sent ya a pm.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 78545
AIR RIDE yeah i noticed that too, but I didnt see pics of it I want to see it so if you have pics or links to pics thats what im really after. Maybe I just missed it
Old 05-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1088
Quote:
AIR RIDE yeah i noticed that too, but I didnt see pics of it I want to see it so if you have pics or links to pics thats what im really after. Maybe I just missed it
There is a 12" longer (I think its 12") chassis, thats what I would use in your case. Its going to end up with a wheelbase ~112-115 ish. You can get 4 seats in the shorter ftoy chassis, but its going to be tight. We're planning 4 seats, and making a roof structure to protect rear passengers. We wont have much room left after a fuel cell, battery, etc. Look for "formula 4" buggy's.

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 24269
Location: Way closer to the Hammers than you!!! Was Montrose, CO
Regular F-Toy chassis...DOM W/ Rear removable seats/harnesses

Seat removes for comps:

With adult passengers:

Seat tilts forward as a tumble seat:

If I can do it, anyone can do it...so I'd say DO IT!!! You will be glad you did
Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 78545
OK thank you finally a picture, now to my next question, if thats a regular ftoy chassis then its obviously not the formula four so would that work for me since i have the longer frame? I just have to cut off the excess of my stock frame or how does that work
Old 05-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 24269
Location: Way closer to the Hammers than you!!! Was Montrose, CO
I'm not sure, but I'd guess the back end would be the end to modify.

I personally like the shorter WB.
I have an 87 xcab that I sas'd w/ most everything my F-Toy has. And I do feel the difference. Shorter is better...IMO
Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 12023
If you want a four seater, have a LWB frame, and don't plan to compete I would go with the Formula Four. I think that one of the options on the standard F-toy is a rear seat bar, but the ones I've seen are too tight in the back seat for adults. I was planning to build a Formula Four before I won the Raffle Rig. The Benders and all the great F-Toy venders kicked in and built a bad ass rig. After driving F-toy #50 I won't ever look at my truck the same.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Irish Style is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in