Front Range Ftoy progressing, improvements - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 40236
Updates? Pics?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner666 View Post
Updates? Pics?
Should have a bit for you soon. Redid the rear shock mounts, moved a xmember, etc, getting it ready to fit a rear seat and a basket in the back.

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 78096
bump for some pics.
Jeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #29 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
What the rear end used to look like. The flat straps were there to hold an extra 8 gallon cell for a short race we did. The normal cell is only 8.5 or 9 gallons.

The all torn apart, old crossmember cut out, new one going in. Moved this tube back 2-3" is all. It mounts the front of the cell, and the rear bumpstops, are Timbrens, mounted through the sleeves you can see. Almost every tube on this car has 2 jobs.
Attached Images

Diamond Axle

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Last edited by Brian Ellinger; 02-03-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Front of cell all tied back together. All the crossmember work was just to get the back of the rear seat to sit back another couple inches. The tubes supporting the rear shocks are tied into the frame rails and the crossmember.

The shock tubes barely clear the back seat, and are angled back to clear the top of the back seat. Now the back end of this thing is really open!

Installing the seat is going to require reworking the exhaust, heat shields, and moving the tracbar down 3" or so as well.

Future plans involve adding 2-3 gallons to the cell, moving the fill neck up and outwards a bit, and a basket mounted over the cell.
Attached Images

Diamond Axle

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Old 02-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
I loved how open the back of your FToy was when I first saw it at KOH '09.
Visibility sucks with a floor and back seat, but it's great to have the kids along for the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ellinger View Post
Front of cell all tied back together. All the crossmember work was just to get the back of the rear seat to sit back another couple inches.
I'm contemplating the same thing. Back seat legroom in the standard length chassis is very short with the shocks right over the back axle.

I may just go for dropping the bottom of the seat inside the framerails to at least go for more headroom. I still have the factory tube crossmember and the back of my back seat currently sits on it.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Ive found I only look out the back occasionally anyway. I think you can usually tell where you are hung up with how the buggy moves. Ie, pivots tot he right, its hung on the pass side axle tube. Pivots both ways =diff. The floor for the backseat will be skidplate that needs to go in back there anyway. Ive had a couple rocks decide to get up in behind the belly pan, inside the frame. Id rather be sitting on the skidplate than trying to pick the car up 3" to get a rock out of there!

The back seat is getting stuffed down between the rails, hence the exhaust redo, and dropping the tracbar down also. Im about 6'1, and leg room in the backseat isnt bad actually. Roof height wouldnt be enough, but someone around 5'8" should be pretty comfy back there. Its actually coming out more roomy that I first thought it would be.

But no work on the car right now, its at KOH for a friend, as a loaner. Not in the race, just playing. We'll see how it comes back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I loved how open the back of your FToy was when I first saw it at KOH '09.
Visibility sucks with a floor and back seat, but it's great to have the kids along for the ride.

I'm contemplating the same thing. Back seat legroom in the standard length chassis is very short with the shocks right over the back axle.

I may just go for dropping the bottom of the seat inside the framerails to at least go for more headroom. I still have the factory tube crossmember and the back of my back seat currently sits on it.

Diamond Axle

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Old 02-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Loaned the car to a friend for KOH week. He had been working on his buggy for months, and the day before leaving found the transmission didnt have reverse. Nothing like going from rear steer,44's, and V8 to a borrowed Ftoy!

Funny part, got this message from him:
"Broke the front main leaf.... duct tape and a hose clamp has it running nice. I hate this car btw, its stupid easy to wheel, and climbs like a mtn goat...."

Apparently broke the front 1/2 of the main, which has a military wrapped 2nd leaf, so its still chugging around JV!

Diamond Axle

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Last edited by Brian Ellinger; 02-09-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 48072
Quote:
Loaned the car to a friend for KOH week.

I hate this car btw, its stupid easy to wheel, and climbs like a mtn goat...."
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 66153
Quote:
I hate this car btw, its stupid easy to wheel, and climbs like a mtn goat...."
I get comments like that from some of my wheeling buddies that have links and V8's. My cheap POS just climbs
F-TOY #36
Ricks72ntx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #36 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
The back seat is getting stuffed down between the rails, hence the exhaust redo, and dropping the tracbar down also. Im about 6'1, and leg room in the backseat isnt bad actually. Roof height wouldnt be enough, but someone around 5'8" should be pretty comfy back there. Its actually coming out more roomy that I first thought it would be.
I saw the car down there. I like how you angled the rear shocks back--that will also contribute a lot to back seat legroom. I'm going to copy that.

Quote:
But no work on the car right now, its at KOH for a friend, as a loaner. Not in the race, just playing. We'll see how it comes back!
I figured you either didn't remember me from '09 or were being a dick when you didn't wave back.

You should have told him there's an "FToy wave".

It saw it on the trailer loaded to go home on Saturday, so I know at least it was on its way back and not stuck in a canyon somewhere!
Quote:
" I hate this car btw, its stupid easy to wheel, and climbs like a mtn goat...." "
I followed trader in his linked FToy on 39's and a bunch of bigger rigs on 40's and 42's up WB, down Claw, up Big Johnson, and down Boulderdash on Wednesday. Amen to that!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Loaned the car to a friend for KOH week. He had been working on his buggy for months, and the day before leaving found the transmission didnt have reverse. Nothing like going from rear steer,44's, and V8 to a borrowed Ftoy!

"Broke the front main leaf.... duct tape and a hose clamp has it running nice. I hate this car btw, its stupid easy to wheel, and climbs like a mtn goat...."

Apparently broke the front 1/2 of the main, which has a military wrapped 2nd leaf, so its still chugging around JV!

hahaha i saw your ftoy and went to the pit and asked, where's brian!!!?
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 69305
I was parked in the next camp over from Brian's rig. Other than helping with course marking and helping the team I was supporting (4474), I never got to run a trail. That seems how KOH works out for me. I love it tho!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 78522
Quote:

We ran into your friend in the ftoy as we came out the top of sledge. He said he had a broken main leaf and was looking for some help getting it fixed. You should have seen the look on his face when I said, "we got sum duct tape and a hose clamp".

At first, he wasn't convinced, but he must have seen the Alabama tag and team robby bobby stickers on my 4runner. Then he knew we could fix anything with just duct tape, hose clamps, and bailing wire. A few minutes later, he was back on the trail.
bluetoyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088

Awesome! Thanks for helping him out! He was probably so confused, wondering how to deal with a busted leaf, probably hasnt wheeled on leafs in years and years!

Diamond Axle

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 78522
No problem Brian. I was glad to help him out. It's just part of this sport to help anyone stranded on the trail.

I instantly recognized it was your Ftoy from following your build. Looks just as cool in person. Nice job.

I did tell him you should have known that by putting Jeep parts (yj springs?) on a toyota that they would be the first thing to fail.
bluetoyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 78096
Do you have some more pics of the finished shock mounts and rear seat area?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #43 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Backseat isnt in there yet, Ill see if I can get some pics of the general area though. Ive mocked the back seat in there, and aside from head clearance being really lean to the height of the roof (if you were to extend the aluminum sheet back) a 6' person fits back there, without knees in the back of the front seats either. The bottom of the back seat ends up right over the 3rd member. Rear axle travel is the limit for how far down the rear seat is going to go down.

Diamond Axle

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Awesome!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16829
Quote:
Backseat isnt in there yet, Ill see if I can get some pics of the general area though. Ive mocked the back seat in there, and aside from head clearance being really lean to the height of the roof (if you were to extend the aluminum sheet back) a 6' person fits back there, without knees in the back of the front seats either. The bottom of the back seat ends up right over the 3rd member. Rear axle travel is the limit for how far down the rear seat is going to go down.
Get to work you have a trip to the hammers planned in about 1.5 months.
offroad_joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 78096
Bump
Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 36007
updates?

"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #48 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrjon View Post
updates?
Yeah, lets just say another project and life got in the way of this progressing!

But Ftoy is slatted to come in the shop next weekend for a number of things. So far list of things is broken down in priority.
1. back seat
-seat belts
-reroute exhaust
-rebuild tracbar and mounts
-skid/rear floor
-tunnel over exh/driveshaft/tracbar
-possibly replace downbars, at minimum add roof length

2. new radiator
-all hell breaks loose

The backseat is first priority, because otherwise it will get put off, again! The radiator is worthy of its own story. Whats in there now is a single core, aluminum drag race radiator. The necks were swapped, and ran OK. However its just not big enough. Also with how tight everything is, I could not fit a puller fall, so its got a puller setup as a pusher, which just means its running backwards, and thus does not push enough air thru the already undersized radiator. To top it off, the winch switch stuck at the Hammers last year, and folded the bottom of the rad about 45degrees! JB weld has been holding, amazingly well since. I cant just replace the radiator as its not even made anymore! Soooo, since it fails at keeping a 22r cool anyway, the replacement of the rad with be involving a complete redo of the front of the car. So far 2 ideas have surfaced on how.
1. winch moved to the very front, stand rad up, and curl intake around to exh side. Has its up and down sides.
2. curl intake, but to just in front of the valve cover, fairly vert on the rad, and put the winch behind the passenger seat with a couple guide loops for the rope.

We shall see what happens when I get to tearing into that end, but Ill get some pics of the back seat stuffing in as they happen for you guys.

And if I dont get completely burned out redoing the front, the dash/firewall will be getting a make over!

Diamond Axle

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Last edited by Brian Ellinger; 03-05-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 36007
Quote:
Yeah, lets just say another project and life got in the way of this progressing!

But Ftoy is slatted to come in the shop next weekend for a number of things. So far list of things is broken down in priority.
1. back seat
-seat belts
-reroute exhaust
-rebuild tracbar and mounts
-skid/rear floor
-tunnel over exh/driveshaft/tracbar
-possibly replace downbars, at minimum add roof length

2. new radiator
-all hell breaks loose

The backseat is first priority, because otherwise it will get put off, again! The radiator is worthy of its own story. Whats in there now is a single core, aluminum drag race radiator. The necks were swapped, and ran OK. However its just not big enough. Also with how tight everything is, I could not fit a puller fall, so its got a puller setup as a pusher, which just means its running backwards, and thus does not push enough air thru the already undersized radiator. To top it off, the winch switch stuck at the Hammers last year, and folded the bottom of the rad about 45degrees! JB weld has been holding, amazingly well since. I cant just replace the radiator as its not even made anymore! Soooo, since it fails at keeping a 22r cool anyway, the replacement of the rad with be involving a complete redo of the front of the car. So far 2 ideas have surfaced on how.
1. winch moved to the very front, stand rad up, and curl intake around to exh side. Has its up and down sides.
2. curl intake, but to just in front of the valve cover, fairly vert on the rad, and put the winch behind the passenger seat with a couple guide loops for the rope.

We shall see what happens when I get to tearing into that end, but Ill get some pics of the back seat stuffing in as they happen for you guys.

And if I dont get completely burned out redoing the front, the dash/firewall will be getting a make over!
Thanks Brian

I'm in a similar situation here but I hate to tear down my "anytime" wheeler. I have a tendency to get carried away during a renovation project and I don't want this thing down for 6-8 months!

Pics of the rear seat area when you get a chance.

Trying to get some Ftoys to do a ride in Disney OK. I see thats only 11 hour drive for you...

"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo

Last edited by mtbrjon; 03-05-2013 at 09:03 AM.
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #50 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrjon View Post
I'm in a similar situation here but I hate to tear down my "anytime" wheeler. I have a tendency to get carried away during a renovation project and I don't want this thing down for 6-8 months!:homer
No kidding. I just parted out my 4Runner, so I no longer have a "spare" rig to drive when I'm busy tinkering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in