Inborded Springs or leave Frenched??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 26098
Send a message via Yahoo to jeaton
Inborded Springs or leave Frenched???

I have an 82 with RUF and F150 in the rear. The rears are frenched in flush with the frame so I never get hung up on spring hangers.

My question is it worth the effort to inboard the springs to help with flex or am i spinning my wheels? I wanted to as you guys because you do more of the in boarding of the springs than the guys in the regular toy forum.

thanks

Thanks to my sponsors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jeaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 66153
Never drove my buggy without the rear being inboarded, but compared to all my other trucks the buggy has the best flex and with it being so light in the rear it doesnt leave much for options... at least cheap ones
F-TOY #36
Ricks72ntx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 26098
I know that being wider than the front, it helps with body roll and my pu is very stable now. im also kinda low, 22.5 to the frame with 42 irok stickies at 10psi. I guess im wondering if its worth it. My rear with spare and tank of gas was 1140 and total pu weight is only 3440 so its rather light.

Anyone else???

Thanks to my sponsors

Old 10-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Do you have fairly soft springs in back?

If you move the motor back 8", it shifts even more weight reardward.
Back of the buggy will be pretty close to the weight of the back of your pickup.
If you like the no body roll, stay with frenched stock-width leafs.
If you decide to change it, it's not much more work to do it later--compared to some things (motor placement) that must be done at build time.

I used to have rears all the way around--5-leaf packs in back and 6-leaf packs up front. Body roll was pretty bad. Now with aftermarket lift springs, body roll isn't bad, even inboarded in rear.

Ordinarily, I'd probably recommend it, but for you, probably not.

-
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 26098
the 4.3 is shoved back and down as low as i can go. the bottom of the pan is even with the top of the front axle. the f150 seem to work well. i run the short side forward so i have almost 0 axle wrap but was thinking about switching it aroud and running the long side forward.

I guess it really comes down to how much body roll will i get and is it worth it for a lil more drop.

Thanks to my sponsors

Old 10-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Back end of a buggy shouldn't be much lighter than a pickup bed--so not much weight savings.

You won't get any more drop--inboarding only helps articulation, not straight-up stuffing.
If you already like your flex, you're good, right?

Long side forward definitely helps your departure angle--when you chop your frame at the same length as the chassis.

-
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 26098
I ment flex not vertical drop, i dont jump. i alrady bobbed the bed 20". thanks for the input, think im going to roll with what i have.

Thanks to my sponsors

Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Yeah, don't lose any sleep over it! again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
If you decide to change it, it's not much more work to do it later
Even if you don't decide to jump it, you will find that the lighter, lower rig/solid feeling chassis may let you drive it faster than you were ever comfortable to with your full-bodied rig....and will therefore hit some bumps at speed that you previously would have creeped over and inadvertently air it!! I'm not a "jumper", either, but ask me how I know!

-
Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 26098
thanks again MT...btw my rig is still full bodied and i say that loosely, as its hammered and i think about doing the ftoy thing but still have a few years left in the first gen.

maybe I will run into at KOH. there is a group of us heading down. I cant wait!

Thanks to my sponsors

Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Are you going to be camping with the nw-wheelers/Longfield group?
I'll probably be closer to "town".

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in