New here and need an opinion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 172011
New here and need an opinion

Hey everyone. Im new to this forum, and have a question that I hope to get an answer to.
After reading about Ftoys in a recent magazine article, I started do some reading on here about them, and I think this is the way Im gonna go when I get back from my vacation in Iraq.

What my question is. I have a friend with a 1982 regular cab, long bed for sale, for a good price. Engine either needs rebuilt or replaced (20r from what i was told). It has a good 4-speed manual in it but no transfer.
From the pics I have does this look like a decent platform to start with to build a 4 seat Ftoy?
Just tryin to find out from people with alot more experience at this than I have. Thanks for an honest opinion of starting this route. Without to mush flaming hopefully

Last edited by armyengineer; 10-22-2010 at 03:32 PM.
armyengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
No matter what, you're going to be doing a lot of swapping to get the parts you want on your FToy.

I recommend either stretching the frame at the cab, or starting with an xtracab frame so the rear framerails in back kick up as far back as possible = more depth for your back seat.

If you need a rebuilt motor, and it has no t-case, about all you're going to use from this truck is the tranny and axles. good to start with if it's free, but don't spend any $$ on it.

Start browsing the PBB classifieds--you're going to need 30spl Longfields, a dual case adapter, hydro assist, lockers, transfer cases, seats, etc.

...or look for a built trail rig, pull the body off, put a chassis on, and wheel it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 109376
If you are close to ga, i have a good 85 extra cab frame. but you can use a standard cab frame and f toy with jeep seat in the rear. we do it all the time. however if you are looking to hual 4 adults around a formula 4 is the best way to go, if leg room is your main concern.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 172011
Nope, When I am in the states I am in Washington state, stuck in Iraq right now. I was kinda thinkin Jeep seats in the back, but thats why I posted here, is to find out what works before I get deep into something and have to change it midbuild.
It would be kids in the back most times, maybe the occasional adult, but that would be rare, my kids go wheelin with me everytime I go.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 123429
wngrog has a formula 4 for sale
seriousscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousscout View Post
wngrog has a formula 4 for sale
Yeah, and I will have it waiting in WA for you when you get home for my asking price
1984 FJ-60
2013 RZR-XP4

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 172011
That looks good!!!!

But I really want to build one with my sons.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyengineer View Post
That looks good!!!!

But I really want to build one with my sons.
Buy one and wheel with your sons.........
1984 FJ-60
2013 RZR-XP4

Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Wngrogs is a good ftoy, but #006 is forsale for a steal right now. Stupid cheap.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Wngrogs is a good ftoy, but #006 is forsale for a steal right now. Stupid cheap.
Depends on the condition of the rig you want to buy as to how much you want to spend.

It is amazing to me that I can't sell a turn-key 10,600, non rolled, non abused buggy.

I thought this was a slam dunk.

(sorry for the side track)

I think the OP needs to find a better donor truck and get Hendrix to build him a brand spanking new 4 chassis and enjoy the process with his boys.
1984 FJ-60
2013 RZR-XP4

Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
any toyota is a good platform to start from more or less. but i wouldnt pay for than 300 for that truck.

the good thing is, if you build with that 4 speed, you can swap it later for the L52 5 speed without having to refab mounts and driveshaft's lenghts. this lenght of tranny is what you want for the ftoy.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyengineer View Post
Nope, When I am in the states I am in Washington state, stuck in Iraq right now. I was kinda thinkin Jeep seats in the back, but thats why I posted here, is to find out what works before I get deep into something and have to change it midbuild.
It would be kids in the back most times, maybe the occasional adult, but that would be rare, my kids go wheelin with me everytime I go.
You must_must_must build with an xtracab frame or a F-four chassis.
My standard FToy chassis on a standard cab frame will maybe have headroom for my girls until they're ~10 because the back seat sits so high above the rear framerail kickup.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 172011
Thanks for the info. I think Ill keep lookin till I find an xtra cab.

I already have something to wheel, so I dont have to wait till I get an Ftoy built to be able to go wheelin.

My 8yo and 11yo go wheelin with me, so I do need as much room as possible in the back seat.

Any more info that anyone wants to throw out there is appreciated, though I am still reading through all the info in other threads and learning alot.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 109376
If you arent going to compete ever, get the 4 from mike with an x cab frame. I dont care for the xtra inches on the course. If not, get the standard cab. I havent had the chance to build and wheel f4 yet, but i have always like the wheel base of my standard, as opposed to any thing longer that i have had in the past. Some people have said in the past that having a standard set up to compete helps if you ever decide to sale, but from what i have seen there are just as many people asking for the f4 now days for trail riding,I wish i had a few of those instock here on the east coast.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 172011
No competition here. Just trail riding and crawling. I havent lived in Washington to long, but there are great places to go wheelin in the area in eastern and western Washington, the Rubicon is only a day of driving to get to so I want to build something that will stand up to the trails in the area I live in and other places I may travel to. My Jeep is still street legal and I drive it on a regular basis so I dont wanna go to hardcore with it. The 4 looks to me like the best way to go for me, wife, and kids.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 109376
You are the only one that can make that choice. I am considering making mine streetable myself. Its fairly easy here to get registration, expecialy when you still have the vin numbers.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 172011
I thought about that too. Being that Im military I have alot of options to registering vehicles. I can register where I live, where Im from, Or where my drivers license is from. All different states, and one of them is real easy to register just about anything. Not sure about where I am originally from, how it is there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in