Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toyota - Formula Toy Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   WTF is with my clutch? (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999037)

ghettowheeler 08-09-2011 01:48 PM

WTF is with my clutch?

Well had an interesting weekend on Fordyce. First I decided to go a little deeper through a corner of Fordyce lake and ended up hydro locking my motor. No big deal pulled the plugs and shot water 30' out of my motor. Put the plugs back in and she started right up. I drove about 2-3 miles back to camp and looked over everything to make sure it was ok. Waited a couple hours to go back out on the trail and went to push in the clutch and put into gear but I could not get it into any gear. I checked the slave cylinder to see if it was moving and appeared to be working fine. I was able to put the trans into gear with the motor off and start it in gear to get back to the trailer. It is like the clutch is stuck engaged. I replaced the slave cylinder last night with no results. Any ideas?

MT4Runner 08-09-2011 04:09 PM

I flopped last fall and somehow that killed my slave. :laughing:

When you assembled the clutch, did you lube the collar around the input shaft/inside the throwout bearing with anti-seize or grease? I'm guessing that's about the only place that could hang up the clutch and "stick" it in engaged. I did that with my 4Runner one time during a tranny swap.

You've bled the clutch with the new slave? Sure it's working and not a bad reman slave?

Try stomping on it really quickly and see if it will pop loose.

ghettowheeler 08-09-2011 07:02 PM

I purchased the previous 4runner completed so I have no idea how the clutch was setup. I bled the new slave. It appeared to be going in out all of the way. And I also tried pumping the clutch trying to break it free with no success. I should hopefully have the tranny out tonight to figure out what is going on. Kinda strange I have never heard of this problem.

cj7sswampers 08-09-2011 07:42 PM

:homer:Ya got clutch fluid in there? I know all about that shit/:laughing:

MendoXJ 08-09-2011 07:43 PM

Put the truck into double low range and drive one of the front tires into a rock so it binds up and turn the truck off. Hold the brake so you dont roll off the rock and shift into single low 4th gear. Release brake and tap the key on so it turns the motor over just a bit. Tap the key on and off a few times and see if it breaks the clutch free. The same thing happened to me at fordyce this weekend and this trick completely saved my trip.

cj7sswampers 08-09-2011 07:43 PM

Seriously, my clutch master is leaking on my Comanche, every week or so I gotta dump more in there. But when it is empty, it acts just how you described.

meatmonkey 08-13-2011 05:12 PM

I managed to get so much mud between the pressure plate and its housing that my clutch wouldn't disengage. You could see the slave moving the bellcrank, but it was just bending the fingers on the pressure plate since there wasn't any room for the pressure plate to release.

Can you visually see the slave moving about 3/4"?

I've also seen clutch discs rust solid to the flywheel from getting wet and then sitting for a period of time.

bunchr1 08-14-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 13241327)
I've also seen clutch discs rust solid to the flywheel from getting wet and then sitting for a period of time.

This.

My old FJ40 did the same thing after a weekend of wheeling at Dayton in a creek. The water was up over the trans tunnel, and then a birf broke in the creek. It went on the trailer and the clutch froze to the flywheel. Took alot to free it, but it broke loose with a little skinny pedal.

techman 08-15-2011 07:49 AM

Stuck.

I had an old D-50. Pulled my boat out of the lake, drove home and parked the truck. About a week later, got in the truck to start it up and the clutch would not dissengauge. Bumped the starter a few times with the clutch depressed and my foot on the brake. It freed up.

ghettowheeler 08-15-2011 08:24 PM

I pulled the trans out this weekend. The clutch disc was stuck to the pressure plate kind of fused together. I had to smack them apart in the vise with a a hammer. Installed a marlin clutch kit and problem solved.

BigMike 08-16-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettowheeler (Post 13249633)
The clutch disc was stuck to the pressure plate kind of fused together.

:eek: Holy smokes! Pretty crazy how that happened all at the same time. Good thing your engine is okay and that you got everything back together :smokin:

BigMike