67 fj40 SANDcruiser project - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 179009
How difficult was it to get it modeled up??? I have bobcad and would love to do this for an upcoming project.
Fubar62172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 182509
A bobcad? lol never heard of bobcad. Well it took me about 2 months drawing it up and getting everything designed. Maybe a little longer. It depends on how much cad experience you have though. I went to college for 2.5 years and got a certificate of mechanical engineering drafting and design. I'm very fast on the program as well. I started with the frame, put the computer in the garage and just kept measuring and drawing. Tape measure, calipers, plumb bob, angle finder and a level. same with the body and drive train. Put it together in the program and check every pin point you can to absolutely be sure what you have drawn is whats out there physically or your design is junk or close to junk haha. My suspension and cage is made almost exactly to whats drawn so I was extra care full of making sure the original pieces were drawn exact. Even the body is within 1/8 tolerance which is huge but then again look at how many other variables there are. This truck also has been rolled many times so nothing is really straight anymore haha. Any questions, tips or anything I can help with feel free to ask!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 182509
Well I've had some family in so haven't gotten too much done. I did get a chance to partially mount my new radiator and build a fan shroud for the electric fan. Lookin good so far. Before I move on with the cooling I need to mount and cycle my front axle BUT want to build my headers first so I'm not working over my axle. So next step is build the headers. After that I'll be able to cut off the frame stand and set this baby on it's own weight and cycle the front axle for clearance.

and my buddy playin around in the cruiser. He's a lil excited for it to be done haha

Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 182509
So you guys all know I'd love to start a shop. I'd mainly be doing baja type stuff but not secluded to any type of metal work. I already have tons of guys wanting cages, long travel and a couple hot rods for suspension and minor work. Came up with a name and frankly it fits my personality haha!! What do you guys think? Already in the works of trademarking and looking at a building not far from home to get started. I can't do all the work at home, I need my own shop to get trucks in. We'll see towards the end of the year but its a 30'x50' garage with 4 roll ups, office and living area for damn cheap too! I don't know if I'll get it but it'll be a nice start.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 182509
Well I had fun this weekend. Built my headers and exhaust! Well passenger side at least! Driver side is mirror to them I would like to have them on a flow bench tho. Kept around the same length but more importantly I averaged out the same amount of degrees through each tube keeping an average amount (hoping but wont know without a flow bench) of velocity of the exhaust as it exits each cylinder. As small of an area I have to work with this was the only way to keep them as long tube headers. From what I've been researching and talking to guys at different header shops, averaging the velocity of exhaust is the way to go and staying within reason of 32"-34" length tubes. Even if I do have some extra bends like they are, they are all equal and will run better than short tube headers or block huggers. Any opinions on that?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
What size primaries?
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 7233
How long are the trailing arms? I assume you have a file for the cut pieces? Would you be willing to sell the pieces and how much?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 103518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
How long are the trailing arms? I assume you have a file for the cut pieces? Would you be willing to sell the pieces and how much?
what are you planning now?? hijack over
Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildave View Post
what are you planning now?? hijack over
Been gathering big bits and pieces all summer, only have a few things left.

/hijack

Last edited by Wilson; 09-15-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 182509
Nice Wilson! I believe the links were 42-43 inches eye to eye on the heims. single mounted shock but can make them double if you want. Do you have access to a laser or plasma bed? Might be a bitch cutting by hand. The shock if I remember was mounted 45% up the link closer to the axle side. Sure I can sell them, If you want I'll build them and ship them to you. Its all chromoly plate and tubing, I think costs me close to $300 in material.

Primary tubing for the headers are 1 5/8 right now. My old headers were a generic fender well header that was 1 5/8 - 2.5" collector, wasn't mandrel bent, just welded up so there was slag and crap inside. A basic production header you would buy at a reasonable cost. When I use to run straight header it really opened the engine up. Huge noticeable difference in torque and HP. I stayed the 1 5/8" but went to 3" all the way out. Everything ground smooth with a merge internal collector. Should be a much better header, zero restrictions.

I noticed you have 42" tire written up, I'm sticking to 35 and my tires are sticking 4-5 inches past the body with the shocks mounted behind the driver seat. Rear axle is extended back I think was 15 or 18 inches.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 12567
Send a message via AIM to ChevotaSS
love the headers and progress.

wilson start your own thread. but since you arleady highjacked it.
with the stock tub my wheelbase is at 108-109 and conventional steering. from your drawing im guessing the added rear tire carrier will act as the back of the car so you can get the wheelbase longer without it looking goofy.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Pm sent on arms.

Last edited by Wilson; 09-15-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 43875
Nice.

"Even Idiots have followers"
rockbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 182509
Pictures are always fun to look at, and I haven't been posting so here's a little to catch up. Steering completely done with exception of hydraulic hoses (need front axle on), gusseted all my cage intersections with the frame, welded up the finished motor mounts, remounted and fully welded in the radiator, Predator 960 carb rebuild kit is in and will rebuild it tonight. I'm thinking this week finish out the axles. Get the truck on its shocks. Ill start the engine when my pops comes back from Germany next week. I'm gettin close enough I'm running out of shit to do. Still tons to do but it's always been there's so much just pick a spot to work on lol. Now I'm getting down to the nitty gritty!! No Halloween, lookin forward to a test run before Glamis tho for thanksgiving! Thanksgiving will definitely be a rough draft haha. Probably no paint, little body work. Functionality is what I'm shooting for right now. Rear seat will only be mounted if there's time. Probably no front fiberglass, Raddle can paint if anything. Cage will go raw. Bumpers only if there's time. As of right now I can finally sit in the driver seat and hold a steering wheel, look at all my gauges, shift and have switches!! feels good to hold a steering wheel again tho.

exhaust done

steering and brakes in place. didnt get a shot of the dash with steering wheel tho

LOOK AT THIS FREAKIN RIG!!!!! damn a boy could dream. Some people have enough money they dont know what to do with. One day....one day!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 7233
I would add a cross brace between your coilover hoops
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #166 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
that is a lot of motion ratio on that rear shock. what was the thought process putting it in the middle of the link?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 182509
Oh there definitely will be. If i can make it work ill do 6 tube center section. If not there will be 4 tubes off a center section as an engine cage the unbolts.

And for the link, longer travel. Typical baja type suspension. That's nothing crazy at all. I'm getting 26" of travel out of the rear. I believe its 66% to the axle side and even if it was centered its not that big of a deal. Picture it as an A arm set up. Not much different just larger scale. Why? What do you see wrong with it?

Last edited by 67sandcruiser; 10-16-2012 at 12:35 PM.
67sandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 182509
FINALLY!! It's been a long project, a lot of hard work and time out into this truck. Whats awesome is the suspension ended up exactly where my 3d design landed as well. I'm on tires now and that frame stand is finally officially cut off. I'm hoping to take it for a test run soon and to Glamis for thanks giving. I'll just post a ton of pictures for you guys following me still!!

The differential picture is showing the mini spool installed with the updated 30 spline rear axles.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 182509

Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 182509

Last edited by 67sandcruiser; 10-22-2012 at 03:42 PM.
67sandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 182509

Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 110439
How badly are those front coils contacting the frame when flexed? Looks really close even at static, have to admit I have never seen a CO set-up with the lower mounts inboard like that. Any worries with roll?
Wheelingnoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 26149
Sorry if I missed it, what are you using for wobble stop on the trailing arms? Does the negative bend get rid of the twist?
Scooterloo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 12567
Send a message via AIM to ChevotaSS
there is a pair of cj-7s that are very nice running around michigan that have the front coilovers on angles like that. they seem to wheel great.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterloo View Post
Sorry if I missed it, what are you using for wobble stop on the trailing arms? Does the negative bend get rid of the twist?
Yes, the bend allows the shock eye to be below the link center line. You can also get delrin bushings from kartek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in