ARB Solenoid Replacement - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2003, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9950
Angry ARB Solenoid Replacement

the one on the left is $17.95....the ARB on the right is $49.95
they both do the same thing....which one would you use?

Heres the part number...35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA. Get them from Fiero Fluid Power, Inc. of Arvada, CO. Call 1-800-638-0920....

Website They are made by MAC
Attached Images

Last edited by SpongeMan; 05-03-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Big DW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2003, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8568
No brainer! 17.95... Even if you wanted a spair you would get off cheeper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KOH 2009 Team 435
KOH 2010, 2011,2012,2013,2014, 2015 Team 4431
EMC 4619 2014,2015,2016
TLCA# 5305
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2003, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 181
You can get them at Grainger too but that is a much better price
LCOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2003, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6863
Or you could just get air switches and be done with the electric soleniod part of the ARB's all together...
Old 05-03-2003, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Discount!

Member # 156
Send a message via ICQ to dog walker
I still use my orginal MAC valve that I got with my first ARB 9-10 years ago. Looks exactly like the one on the left. I'd go with the MAC valve for $18
83 Toyota 4x4 LB
04 UJZ100
1990 FJ62
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2003, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3942
Nice! Thanks for posting, Spongeman, I happen to have the ARB solenoids but I'm going to go ahead and get me a couple of spare ones just in case, you know how these things go, they're not going to fail in the parking lot, they're going to fail in the middle of nowhere with half of the bad ass trail still to go!

Muchas gracias!
60seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2003, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9950
I figured that would be some good information...I plan to use them for my t-case linkage....I bought some little air Cylinders from McMaster to replace my linkage and I'm going to fab some brackets.....I will have 2 more ARB style switches on the dash and 1 will be for 2Wheel/4Wheel...the other for HI/LO....it's gonna be sweet....

Jeff....did you get the MAC valves local in Sacramento?

The cylinders I got are the 3/4" ones 44lbs pull....39lbs push....here's a pic...
Attached Images

Last edited by SpongeMan; 05-04-2003 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3259
Send a message via AIM to FIXXXXAH
COOL IDEA, BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SWITCH FROM A MANUAL LINKAGE TO AN AIR SHIFTED SETUP? I COULD UNDERSTAND THE CLEAN ASPECT IF IT WAS A SHOW VEHICLE OR SOMETHING, BUT NOT REALLY FOR A OFF ROAD VEHICLE... SURE, YOU CAN CARRY A SPARE SOLENIOD, AND IF THE CYLINDERS FAIL YOU CAN CRAWL UNDER AND MANUAL SHIFT IT, BUT YOU WOULDNT HAVE TO DO EITHER WITH A GOOD MANUAL LINKAGE...

MATT
FIXXXXAH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2003, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9950
Angry

I guess it's just the cool factor...have never seen any rig with it...so I'll try it out and see if I like it....thanks for the .02...
Old 05-19-2003, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 13
Send a message via ICQ to Loco Send a message via AIM to Loco Send a message via Yahoo to Loco
For all of us in Nor Cal, I just called and got the run around but you call Buchannon Air at 1-800-426-8313. Called Fiero and they said since I was in Cali it was a territorial thing and they couldn't ship it to me. Then I called another company and they told me they don't have the MAC line anymore and they gave me the # to Buchannon Air.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Metal-tech'in

Member # 10420
Thanks for the tip! I was looking around a few months ago for an option over the stock ARB units. I ended up sending in both of my solenoids to ARB, one with electrolyses corrosion in it and the other just for good measure. At the same time I sent the pressure switch as well since the ARB compressor did not shut off and blew the tank o-ring. FOUR days later! Fed-Ex delivered all NEW parts from ARB complete w/new fittings, no charge. They know how to take care of their customers!

Sponge: Let us know how the Air cylinders work out for you! I have thought about the same, since one of our guys converted an E-locker to air with one.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made in the USA! ALL Active duty US Military get 10% off Metal-tech brand thank you for your service!
helocat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 4139
Wagon dude, McMaster is just McFrickinMaster
climbermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2003, 03:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 19780
ARB Air Switches

Quote:
Originally posted by climbermike
Wagon dude, McMaster is just McFrickinMaster
The $18 unit is what Roberts used before ARB bought him out many years ago, and ARB carried over for afew years.
The Shed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2003, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 16085
Re: ARB Air Switches

Quote:
Originally posted by The Shed Guy

The $18 unit is what Roberts used before ARB bought him out many years ago, and ARB carried over for afew years.
Dang someone left the door open....... and look who crawled in.....welcome

many many moons ago I had a Roberts locker in a 4runner.
Landpimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2003, 10:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4139
Re: Re: ARB Air Switches

Quote:
Originally posted by Landpimp

Dang someone left the door open....... and look who crawled in.....welcome
Yeah, no fawkin shit. Both frickin Holmaas and FMFDBFF Dazza.

Yo Dazza - Welcome.
climbermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2003, 02:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 19780
Re: Re: Re: ARB Air Switches

Quote:
Originally posted by climbermike

Yeah, no fawkin shit. Both frickin Holmaas and FMFDBFF Dazza.

Yo Dazza - Welcome.
Hey guys, shouldnt of posted that link Mike....

BTW, I blew my last Roberts afew years ago doing burnouts in the 454 40 at the xmas party .........

Dont make parts for them now either so it was a bin job.....
The Shed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 32248
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/arb...oblems.543733/

Quote:
This is my air setup (not on an 80) for front/rear ARB's. I just used standard air fittings for the hose I chose to run and used macvalve units as the air valves.

Didn't use a fancy manifold, since I didn't need it. The macvalves have mesh vents screwed into their fronts to prevent 'stuff' getting into the vent ports.

macvalves with mesh vents installed and air fittings in place

The air compressor is in the cabin under the driver's seat and the pressure switch is built into it (a small Thomas compressor). The outlet of the Thomas goes out under the vehicle to a tee that is plumbed into a small holding tank. The other side of the tee runs up to the engine bay and through the inline filter as shown in the picture.

The inline filter is a standard air compressor mesh filter that I figured would be a good idea/precaution to prevent any 'stuff' collecting in the hold tank from getting into the small orifices of the airvalves.

I've NEVER seen any oil in the clear hose that feeds the splitter to the airvalves. I've had ARB's in my patrol for many years, more than 20 for the rear locker and at least 10 years with a front locker. Never had oil issues in the lines, though I read often of issues on this forum.

cheers,
george.

Last edited by byen00; 01-12-2020 at 07:26 PM.
byen00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 32248
https://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/mac/mac-1.htm
Quote:
Myself and a friend were starting a project and I told him I would help with the control system. Since the project will be using a small air cylinder (1" bore with a 5" stroke) and I already have a 10# CO2 cylinder, we decided to use it as the primary air supply. The 10 pound CO2 bottle will last a long time running a small cylinder.

I had seen some information posted on one of the on-line forums but couldn't remember which one (the mind is a terrible thing to lose). The thread I was looking for contained the information for an ARB type replacement air solenoid at a significant savings. I asked from some help and sure enough, the thread was found on JeepsUnlimited.

I used the contact information in the thread and after getting rerouted to the appropriate "regional" distributor, I was making some headway. The distributor I needed ended up being right here in Phoenix, AZ. I ordered the solenoids from Hei-Tek Automation, LLC. You can reach them at (602) 269-7931. Their address is 21602 N. 2nd Ave., Suite 4, Phoenix, AZ 85027.

photo

The valve I ordered was made by MAC Valves, Inc., 30569 Beck Road, Wixom, Michigan 48393-7011. The part number for the 12 volt solenoid/air valve combination is 35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA. I also ordered a small muffler, part number BMS-18, to cover the vent port so that foreign material doesn't get inside the valve body. You can see the muffler, with the brass colored material on it, in the above photo.

photo

The solenoid and valve assembly cost $17.50 and the muffler was 80 cents. $10 for shipping and tax got two of them (two valves and two mufflers) to my door for $46. That is nearly the price of one ARB solenoid.

The solenoid comes with no connector on the end of the wires so you will have to either salvage those from an ARB solenoid or just make your own from some insulated connectors you can acquire at your local auto parts store.

On the valve body, Port #1 is the inlet, Port #2 is the outlet, and Port #3 is the exhaust (vent). All three ports are threaded as 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) female. The ARB units are threaded as 1/8" BSPT (British standard pipe thread). Although I've not tried it myself, I've read in a number of on-line forums that they are so close that one can put the BSPT fittings in the NPT body. I've seen push-in 1/8" NPT fittings at the local ACE Hardware store. I have more information about the fittings in this write-up which details my customized air manifold that I use on my ARB air lockers.

If you decided to go this route and save yourself some dollars, this would be the valve setup to use for your air system.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 32248
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbrett View Post
Or you could just get air switches and be done with the electric soleniod part of the ARB's all together...
Best price I found for 2 was from Partdeal.com ($42, $15/piece..$12 shipping)

Red Dot-Red Dot Black Toggle Air Switch with Round Handle - 72R0210-72R0210

But, it doesn't come with the quick-connect nipples (typically 1/4"). The ARB hose is 5mm (very close to 3/16")

Old 01-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Huh, clicked on this being curious and realized my Yukon Zip locker has that exact Mac solenoid.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in