Got my new 40! - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 22408
2nd Gen Dodge 2500s with the Cummins and an Automatic are also Dana 70s.
Through 2002.

Last edited by Rat70FJ; 02-13-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Rat70FJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
May have found a 1st gen dodge 70 and I also requested a quote on a hero with offset rear output. I don't think I'll be able to swing it, but if I can get front digs and all that beef it will be the only real option that meets all my desires.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #53 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Ebrahimi View Post
May have found a 1st gen dodge 70 and I also requested a quote on a hero with offset rear output. I don't think I'll be able to swing it, but if I can get front digs and all that beef it will be the only real option that meets all my desires.
Seller of the 70 was non-responsive and although TWF does offer a HERO with an offset rear output, they can't set it up to do front digs.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Upon further investigation, it looks like I will need to swap out the main shaft of my NV4500 in order to go back to a standard 32-spline output shaft and factory tail-housing. In a way that opens up some options with regards to finding a deal on a T-case, because I can run either the 32-spline output shaft or 23-spline output shaft when I swap it out. It also makes me reconsider just running a split case. Obviously I won't get front digs, but I also won't have to swap to a centered rear axle. The adapter casting is the same between my current case and the split case. Just the spud shaft and bearings are different. So theoretically I could be into a split case for the cost of the case plus a few hundred bucks for the different parts from AA.

Just rambling out loud in case anyone has some input.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:12 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 121349
Front dig in offset-offset Hero case.

post #17

Edit- further reading seems like it may not be doable in their current configuration...

Last edited by Skrewball; 02-24-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Skrewball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 13395
One option for a decent offset case that's pretty strong is a Land-Rover LT230. Don't laugh, look it up, there are some adapters available to fit on 32 spline GM and it's offset like a Cruiser case. It's a full-time case but easy to convert to part time, and they are 100 bucks all day long at pick and pull. 28 spline outputs, gears are good sized too.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #57 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBuilt View Post
One option for a decent offset case that's pretty strong is a Land-Rover LT230. Don't laugh, look it up, there are some adapters available to fit on 32 spline GM and it's offset like a Cruiser case. It's a full-time case but easy to convert to part time, and they are 100 bucks all day long at pick and pull. 28 spline outputs, gears are good sized too.
There is a really good thread on upgrades for this case going on... here: https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-rover/1626818-i-blew-up-my-lt-230-koh-took-me-out.html

Last edited by the freeak; 02-24-2016 at 09:27 AM.
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #58 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
I'm well aware of LT230s. I've lusted after them for a long time. I think they would be perfect in an 80 series on 35s with otherwise stock gearing.

Unfortunately for my given situation, I don't think the LT230 offers enough advantages to overcome the hurdles of non-existent adapters. I know they have been mated to NV4500s in the past, but no one currently makes an adapter.

Last edited by Arya Ebrahimi; 02-24-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 13395
These guys are pretty new:

ยป NOW!! NV3550 to LT230 Land Rover Adapter

It would work with a 23 spline output from a Dodge NV4500.

Also Advance Adapters resells a kit made in Aus that works with an LT230 and a 32 spline output GM. It works well with an NV4500. The GM setup is longer than the one above though.

I made my own which actually goes behind an NP203 reduction box (doubler) but I don't think you have enough wheelbase...

There are more options than a year or two ago...
Old 02-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Hmm, that's good to know. I hate how much room conversion spud shafts waste. I really liked the way Buckon37s did his with a simple adapter plate and wire edm'ing the input on the LT230.

At this point I think I can step up to a split case for $6-800 out of pocket which is very attractive relative to the other options on the table. I'm trying to save my pennies to finish my V8 80...
Old 02-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 13395
Quote:
Hmm, that's good to know. I hate how much room conversion spud shafts waste. I really liked the way Buckon37s did his with a simple adapter plate and wire edm'ing the input on the LT230.

At this point I think I can step up to a split case for $6-800 out of pocket which is very attractive relative to the other options on the table. I'm trying to save my pennies to finish my V8 80...
Buck had three gears made, one came to me, I am using it for my doubler setup. I think the EDM gear setup is stronger, but I don't think it would be much shorter than the first one adapter pictured, maybe an inch or so. I think you could do the LT230 swap for roughly the same money as a split case, but it would definitely be more fussing around.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:24 AM   #62 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBuilt View Post
Buck had three gears made, one came to me, I am using it for my doubler setup. I think the EDM gear setup is stronger, but I don't think it would be much shorter than the first one adapter pictured, maybe an inch or so. I think you could do the LT230 swap for roughly the same money as a split case, but it would definitely be more fussing around.
Thinking out loud again...is it possible to do a part-time conversion and still have AWD(non-locked center diff). I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but wanted to confirm.

My front axle has CTMs, which is really the only reason I'm worried about AWD being an issue. I don't drive the rig on the street *that* much, maybe a 10-30 miles on a good sunny weekend day every few weeks during the summer. I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world as long as I keep the CTMs greased.

I know it's not the best idea for longevity of the case long term, but I do like the ability to retain the T-case e-brake and power through the center diff for a front burn.

I wonder if Buck could be persuaded into making another adapter/input gear now that he's retired from Ultra4 racing.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 13395
Quote:
Thinking out loud again...is it possible to do a part-time conversion and still have AWD(non-locked center diff). I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but wanted to confirm.

I wonder if Buck could be persuaded into making another adapter/input gear now that he's retired from Ultra4 racing.
Unfortunately no, if you convert to part-time, you lose the center diff. Buck is probably the guy who has done the most crawling with one in his custom 90. I believe he was doing front digs with his. Might be worth trying to get a hold of him, he might want to do another gear, or might have parts left over from his race car. He was using an NV4500 up until recently with the custom main shaft and EDMed gear, the only issues he seemed to have were with the center diff burning up at speed (as you probably saw in the thread linked above).
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #64 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
I'm still trying to decide what to do with regards to a transfer case. In the meantime I have decided to sell the JK Customs rear bumper/tire carrier since I don't use it and would prefer a simpler tube style bumper.

I posted an ad on 'mud for it here:
For Sale: - JK Customs FJ40 Tire & Jerry Can carrier [MD] | IH8MUD Forum
Old 03-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 29
Well if you are plannig on throwing a new rear axle in there, just run the standard HERO case or a reg ATLAS,... Pick your t-case and then poick the rear axle to match it.

Dima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FJ40 crawler, 2006 F250 for tow duties
Flatty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #66 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
I hear you, but at this point a split case looks like the path of least resistance while still gaining me a significant strength upgrade. I have too many other irons in the fire right now. I have 3 80s that need my attention as well as LS swap to finish. Doing a new rear axle and Atlas/Hero means I would miss this wheeling season altogether.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 20378
Quote:
I hear you, but at this point a split case looks like the path of least resistance while still gaining me a significant strength upgrade. I have too many other irons in the fire right now. I have 3 80s that need my attention as well as LS swap to finish. Doing a new rear axle and Atlas/Hero means I would miss this wheeling season altogether.
$1700 for a tcase rebuilt by Georg and an adapter for the 4L65E, and the axle needed to be moved aft anyway. As cool as it is, we were still almost in Atlas territory, and 14 bolts are cheap...just sayin'
Kuranosuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #68 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuranosuke View Post
$1700 for a tcase rebuilt by Georg and an adapter for the 4L65E, and the axle needed to be moved aft anyway. As cool as it is, we were still almost in Atlas territory, and 14 bolts are cheap...just sayin'
I'm not following you? I was figuring more like $3-400 for a used split case, $25-250 in rebuild parts, and $300 for the new spud shaft/bearings from AA to use my existing adapter(adapter casting is the same between 3spd case and split case). I will need to fab a crossmember, but that's it as far as fab goes. Everything else will be bolt-in. So for under a grand and relatively little fab work, that seems like a no-brainer to me right now.

The other part that sucks about going with anything other than a Cruiser case is that I would have to tear my NV4500 down and replace the main shaft since the AA adapter has you cut the 32-spline section of the mainshaft off for their adapter. Anything else(Hero, Atlas, 205, etc) needs the 32-spline section.

Last edited by Arya Ebrahimi; 03-10-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:57 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 20378
Sorry, missed the part of you already having the adapter. That is the "expensive" part. You're also saving by doing the rebuild yourself. I guess you should ignore me...haha.
Kuranosuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #70 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
So this is still sitting broken in the driveway

I really need to find a split case and get it in there ASAP.

Baby boy is due October 23rd. I have a feeling nothing will get done for a while after he gets here.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #71 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Alright, looks like I finally found a 38mm idler split case. It should be inbound this week. Time to order the remaining parts needed to swap it out for my current 3spd case from AA this week.

Anyone care to educate me on what if anything(bearings, shafts, etc) I should order/replace in the case itself? It came from a running/driving 220k mile FJ 60.

I'm going to have to figure out some sort of e-brake setup at the wheels since I will be losing the t-case e-brake, but I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in