FJ60 Family Wagon - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 790033
sweet
Cledizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #77 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26705
Loving your FJ60, wish I still had mine.

PaulC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deadlew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 2775
Decided to bite the bullet and install the secondary air injection. Is there anyone local to Sacramento, that has Hptuners or Efi Live that is willing to help me out? I need the air injection system enabled in my ecm.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 2775
Said screw it and bought HpTuners. Figured it made more sense in the long run to be able to trouble shoot and tune in my driveway as opposed to relying on others.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 133009
That sucks about the smog stuff, I wish I could help but we don't really have that here.

Sweet build though, I saw it a few months ago and haven't checked back in until now. This is pretty much the exact route I want to go with my Fj62 for a DD/wheeler type of thing. How do you like the suspension? Everyone on Mud is OME or die, and I just don't buy that. I'm wondering how well those springs would SUA as they are junkyard available and I could avoid the cut/turn on the front axle for a while.

Keep the updates coming.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoads View Post
That sucks about the smog stuff, I wish I could help but we don't really have that here.

Sweet build though, I saw it a few months ago and haven't checked back in until now. This is pretty much the exact route I want to go with my Fj62 for a DD/wheeler type of thing. How do you like the suspension? Everyone on Mud is OME or die, and I just don't buy that. I'm wondering how well those springs would SUA as they are junkyard available and I could avoid the cut/turn on the front axle for a while.

Keep the updates coming.
The springs ride pretty well, havent had it off the pavement yet as I have been dealing with the smog crap. I do know they flex way better than the OME springs that were on there. I have never seen a suspension flex so badly. For example, when I went to jack up the front end with a floor jack on the passenger side, the driver side would lift off the ground before the jack would max out.

Last edited by JJeep74; 10-25-2017 at 02:53 PM.
JJeep74 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 73037
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeep74 View Post
The spring ride pretty well, havent had it off the pavement yet as I have been dealing with the smog crap. I do know they flex way better than the OME springs that were on there. I have never seen a suspension flex so badly. For example, when I went to jack up the front end with a floor jack on the passenger side, the driver side would lift off the ground before the jack would max out.
I thought that I was the only one underwhelmed by OME on a 60/62... But at least they are better than the Alcans I ran before OME. Eventually I ended up swapping around some leaves to get the ride I wanted.
cruiser_moby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 2775
Made some progress today regarding the requests of the Referee and figured I would share here for future builds. One of his requests was a copy of the Calibration Verification Number for the ECM. Through searching I managed to find a link to the following website which will provide current CVNs based on Vin#

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Only issue now is I need to get a copy of my stock tune which I dont have, so my only option may be to go to the dealer to have them reflash my computer.

Whats the chance that there are any GM dealer techs on here that are willing to help?
Old 10-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 228921
Can't help with the programming but glad to hear that you're slowly making progress.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 2775
Figured I would provide an update on where things sit.

I talked with Brendan at LT1swap.com who originally flashed my computer for me and is going to flash the computer back to stock so the CVNs match and I can have a copy of my stock tune just in case.

I have been spending time on ALLDATA and think I have figured a way to run a stripped down BCM. This will allow the BCM to send the correct signal to the PCM allowing the computer to run so I dont have to tune the VATs out of the computer. As this would result in the CVN changing for that module.

Also picked up a complete y-pipe from another 1500 with the cats. Not 100% sure it is going to fit but we will give it hell. As soon as I have some update pics I will post up.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 2775
Made some progress this weekend on the body control module. Also made some backwards progress....

Ended up getting the BCM mounted down in the driver side kick panel and everything wired up. Actually fits pretty well and can not be seen when the trim piece is in place.

After getting the BCM and Secondary Air Pump all wired up, I hooked the battery back up. When I did, i was getting a repeated clicking noise from the Idle Air Control motor but would stop when the key was turned on. Weird... Anyways, I go to try and start the motor and low and behold the VATS works properly and shutdowns the motor instantly. At this point I know I need to have the BCM relearn the VATS signal which involves the key being in the On position for 10 mins, off for 10 seconds, then try to start it. This must be performed a total of 3 times. Well after 5 tries, it is still killing the engine and the IAC is still making noise.

During this whole process I figure I might as well try and verify that the Air pump is working as it should. Using the Scanner module of HPTuners I should be able to turn the pump on and off manually. Well as my luck goes, it does not work. After verifying that the relay is getting power, I dive into the tune of the PCM. I verify that all of the CVNs are correct, which they are. But notice that in the the main layer of the code, the air injection system is not enabled. Odd, as this is a 2001 5.3 and it should have air injection as it came with it when I bought it. For S's and G's I changed the binary 0 to a 1 to activate it, which resulted in a proper operation for the air pump. However the CVN changes, shit. So at this point I have a factory flashed computer that does not have air injection controls and according to the CVNs is correct, but the motor had air injection on it when I bought it. At this point I may buy another 2001 PCM to see if it has the air injection controls and correct CVNs. If it does I will just run the new PCM.

As far as the IAC and BCM issues, I found out I swapped the locations of the 12V ignition pins and ground pins. When the BCM was plugged in it was causing back feeding issues to the IAC. I have not had a chance to re-pin the connector as the ran showed up early on Sunday. Hopefully tonight I can swap everything around.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 228921
Any updates?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 2775
I hate to say it but no real physical progress lately. However, I have been making theoretical progress that is giving me an actual direction in order to get this thing smog legal in the communist state of California.

I decided to reach back out to the CA BAR and setup a call with a referee to discuss some of the issues I have been having, including the issue with the secondary air injection not being programmed into my ecu even though all the CVNs match according to the GM TIS website.

From this conversation I was told that since it is a motor swap in CA, everything has to be CA compliant. Therefore a "Federal" ecu programming is not allowed. When I asked what my options where, I was told that I would have to have the computer reprogrammed by GM to a VIN # that is a CA compliant. I was under the initial understanding that I had to stick with the Vin/year motor that I original tried to get to pass. The referee who is the district manager for CA BAR told me that I am not stuck with a particular vin or year until it passes. At this point the dim light bulb went a little brighter and directly asked if I could switch to a 2002 Vin, which he actually suggested I do, as it eliminates the need for Air Injection and EGR. Sounds like a win/win for me.

I also verified that the exhaust needs to be uncut but I am allowed to cut the factory exhaust after the second o2 sensors. I am also not allowed to program electric fans or remove the VATs through tuning as the CVNs will change.

It was also reiterated multiple times that I have to provide a PO/Invoice from a dealership showing that they verified that programming/CVNs and that it is indeed a factory tune. I have gone to the Folsom Chevrolet dealership and they told me this is something they will not do. I plan on trying Roseville Chevrolet when it is back up and running. Hopefully if I drive it in there they will have an easier time of saying yes. If anyone here is a GM tech or is friends with a GM tech in the Nor Cal area that is willing to help that would be awesome.

As for the physical work, I did strip the EGR and air injection off the motor this morning as well as switch the manifolds back to stock truck manifolds. Luckily I have a buddy who is swapping a 6.0 in a pre-smog scout and he gave me his stock non-egr manifolds and mechanical fan. As for the exhaust it is going to be really tight but I might be able to get it to work with some creative thinking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in