Stock class 4600 everyman challenge build of an fj80 "Lazarus" - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Stock class 4600 everyman challenge build of an fj80 "Lazarus"

As the title states i'm building an every man challenge fj80 for the 2020 king of the hammers. With the help of sponsors and a solid team i want to make a solid entry for this season. I plan on documenting my build here and on ih8mud as well so any and all advice is welcomed.

The landcruiser: 1992 toyota land cruiser fj80

suspension: old man emu heavy duty springs currently paired with old man emu and bilstien shocks

Axles: rcv front axles combined with 5.29 gears and detroit locker for the front
rear axle is the stock semi float 5.29's arb air locker

Engine: stripped stock 4.0

transmission: stock with larger cooler

Transfercase: stock converted with spool

There is quite a bit more planned but basically i want the fj80 as light as i can get it and as simple as i can make it. They are heavy pigs so shedding pounds will be my biggest hurdle.
I suck at pics but will post progress as i go.

So for the back story on this. Two years ago the idea to run a fj80 for the
EMC sparked my interest. I am fortunate enough to be involved with some really good people and the idea took flight in 2017 around july. With the help from a local off road shop that deals with toyota 4x4's a parts 92 fj80 was donated to the cause.
F20B6E1E-79E0-49E4-BF91-F4559352A185 by themightymouse84, on Flickr

I spent countless hours after work bringing this old rig back to life. It had set previously for over four years waiting to be parted out. With only 170,xxx on it the likelyhood that it would run well and not have many issues was good. A fuel pump, battery, efi relay or two, distributor, and some other odds and ends and it roared back to life. I had the wheels and tires from my 84 pickup already sitting aside for the build and they mounted up fine with minimal rubbing after the lift. Since the front is locked up with a detroit i converted the hubs to manual so i can drive it to the trails and back. Last years first shake down run for it when i got it running and street legal was an seven hour drive from st louis to hot springs arkansas for the southern cruiser crawl. For being outside dead in the water for years and bringing back to life within a couple months the cruiser did impress me. Fourteen hours drive time on the highways there and back with some not so easy wheeling in arkansas i was convinced this rig would be worthy of the shit i'm going to be putting it through. I learned very quickly the cruiser handles nothing like the pickups and 4runners i'm used to. The only casualties on the cruiser after the weekend at the crawl was front brake line and the arb line broke. since is been up and running my codriver and i have spent time in the woods learning the rig. The fender flares quickly got ripped off and there's some extra body damage from the year of "shaking it down"

I'll updtate this thread as i go with who sponsors the team and what we are doing with it for the next five months. more pics and posts to come.

Last edited by mightymouse84; 11-04-2018 at 09:52 AM.
mightymouse84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Over the past year it has been wheeled all over missouri. flatnasty, moonlight racing, southern missouri off road ranch among others. I quickly found that i need a winch, now. So currently i have the front plate getting bent for the 10,000lb warn i'll run. I will have the tube work tie directly into it and add a brace for the shocks while i'm at it. The internal cage will keep similiar geometry to the body and i plan on keeping it a four seater as an eventual outcome. For now the rear seats will be gone for racing purposes. Interior has been gutted with the exception of the dash and seats. next steps other than wheeling it as much as possible include mounting the fuel cell, removing the rest of the glass (already pulled the rear hatch). cage, seats, harnesses, and some minor electrical work like cut off switches etc. I will also re-route the exhaust as it will be a pain in the butt to keep it in the location it is in. With removing the fuel tank from it's current position i don't see that being an issue.

special thanks to Metal Tech for the rear links. they should hold up to the abuse.
218980CB-DCA5-4BF7-B9BF-3C74CF8DFD93 by themightymouse84, on Flickr
when we install these i'll be sure to review and post some pics.
My differentials are built tough by M.T. Schiele auto here in St. Louis.
the front detroit and rear arb combination have worked fairly well thus far.
M.T. Schiele Transmissions | Affton, MO
The suspension, and vehicle, well and most other shit i cant figure out have been graciously put in my hands via Victors Off road engineering. He knows his Toyotas.
The welder was an easy choice. the new esab 215 rebel was the wise choice for me. now how do i get them to get on board.
C053CFB9-A274-405A-805B-2E6B24DC8D70 by themightymouse84, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 175069
With the bumper off it will make easy work to get the winch plate installed and my winch test fitted.
13FFACE8-51E9-4D99-B90A-EE3800F39D73 by themightymouse84, on Flickr
I managed to rip the driver side motor mount off. easy fix but it now have to get chained or cabled in. Taking the bumper off was the next step as it wasnt doing me any favors.
FCB63D55-3988-42C2-A2F2-85FD7A22E137 by themightymouse84, on Flickr
The old MTR's from my 84 pickup will serve nicely untill i mount the krawlers i'll use for the race.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Cleaning up the engine bay is easy. get rid of everything i dont need. heater gone, ac, gone, smog pumps etc, gone. stock air box and tube gone.
F8599631-3562-4CB5-84C1-76A9C715387E by themightymouse84, on Flickr
i'll have a pre-filter for the desert.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Might want an outerwear for that filter.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Might want an outerwear for that filter.
Agreed. On the list. Looks to be the same size for rzr's shouldnt be hard to track down.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 175069
For those of you that want to follow via instagram check out https://www.instagram.com/mightytoy4x4/
and via facebook check out https://www.facebook.com/VictoryRockRacing/
Old 08-11-2018, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19510
In. Good luck!

530-268-9494

tlca# 12281
semi_budget 1ton build

linking the rear

rockthedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 523289
Can you give a single good reason for using a 91-92 over a 93-97?? Heavier and less powerful motor, slower shifting transmission, worse brakes, semi-float rear that there aren't aftermarket shafts for? Sell that thing and buy an FZJ should be step 1.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 175069
I couldn't agree with you more on the 93-97 being the better rig. this rig was a free rig for me. So the only good reason is cost and cost alone. On a side personal note I feel better about gutting and thrashing a earlier rig that isn't as nice as the later fzj80. If I could could have started with a later model with no cost I would have. The rear shafts don't worry me btw. 35" tires on that axle isn't even coming close to its limit. I have no fears with that. The brakes on the other hand leave a bit to be desired.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 523289
Is this your first Cruiser? I've seen tons of broken semi-float Cruiser shafts on 35" and even smaller tires in just normal wheeling situations, let alone KOH.

Since you say you're going to keep the suspension stock I'd recommend you get your hands on a full-float FZJ80 rear end. It will bolt in and give you rear discs. Then put Nitro shafts in it and drill the hubs out for 7/16".

Seriously though, you can get running and driving FZJ80's for $3K or less. And if that amount of cash is a serious setback then maybe you're in the wrong race series. It's called the Every Man challenge but it's still expensive as fawk...
Old 08-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Old Rock Doc

Member # 915
I wish you the very best in this endeavor, and sincerely hope you will enjoy the process and working on the many challenges which lie ahead. I am curious about your experience driving the trails and desert at Johnson Valley. The EMC is a serious event and good intentions, I fear, will not get you very far. Secondly, can you tell us in more detail why you think this early FJ80 on 35 inch tires will be a serious competitor in the EMC. IMO sponsors typically focus on teams that are likely to be competitive.

Again, good luck and enjoy the process.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Expensive Rear axle-

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axle...ingham-al.html

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Subscribed.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 198274
I'm curious why you got rid of the stock airbox and intake tube? I can guarantee it flows and filters better than what you've put on there.

In regards to cutting weight out of the rig; the glass altogether weighs something like 400 lbs. Weld the roof hole shut, remove the moonroof and assembly. Replace all but the front windshield with lexan. Removw the entire interior and replace the front seats with something light.

Reinforce the frame-side front and rear panhard mounts. They will rip off if you're racing the truck.

Last edited by mr jits; 09-02-2018 at 03:32 PM.
mr jits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 42081
I agree with the stock airbox, that one will be clogged before the first lap.

Remember to have fun with it! It is a lot of money to spend so at least have some fun!

2014 4WD EASTERN 4500 CLASS CHAMPION

EMC 2013,14, 15, 16, 17

Matzell Motorsports #4573
Thanks to: Weldone Fabrication, Maxxis, Fox, PRP, PSC, Raceline, Reid Racing, Ruffstuff, Willow Lawn Service Center, JB Custom Fab, Yukon Gear, Dynomax, 150tunes.com,Lugnut4x4
matzell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I wish you the very best in this endeavor, and sincerely hope you will enjoy the process and working on the many challenges which lie ahead. I am curious about your experience driving the trails and desert at Johnson Valley. The EMC is a serious event and good intentions, I fear, will not get you very far. Secondly, can you tell us in more detail why you think this early FJ80 on 35 inch tires will be a serious competitor in the EMC. IMO sponsors typically focus on teams that are likely to be competitive.

Again, good luck and enjoy the process.
Thanks so much for the kind words and well wishes. I have a lot of experience wheeling all over the country. I have yet to wheel the hammers trails. I am well aware this puts me at somewhat of a disadvantage. Trails here in missouri, arkansas, kentucky, colorado, utah, tennessee, and others will at least give me enough experience to give it hell when the green flag flies. I have a great base of wheelers that have been there and raced. i am doing everything i can to draw upon their experience as well.

This idea was hatched over a camp fire a few years ago. I don't feel the land cruiser crowd has been properly represented in the everyman challenge. I have wheeled with these rigs for quite a while now. Not always with me behind the wheel but i've had the pleasure of seeing what the heavy pigs can do when pushed hard. The stock 4.0 is, as we all know, slow. It does have one advantage in my opinion though is it's tough. I mean very tough. The transmissions are tough from what i've experienced as well. With 5.29 gears and less weight they seem even peppy. Stripped down to the basics its happy on the road and gets out of it's own way with relative ease. AS for how it's going to be competetive? I plan on finding out.

Why sponsors would even consider me? Honestly i come to the table with them in the best way i know how. I am honest and plan to put my best foot forward. When it comes to race day i will give it everything i have and then some.

Seems like a bit of a mission statement but it's what i will be accomplishing.

stay tuned it's at least going to be entertaining
Old 09-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisermattfj62 View Post
Is this your first Cruiser? I've seen tons of broken semi-float Cruiser shafts on 35" and even smaller tires in just normal wheeling situations, let alone KOH.

Since you say you're going to keep the suspension stock I'd recommend you get your hands on a full-float FZJ80 rear end. It will bolt in and give you rear discs. Then put Nitro shafts in it and drill the hubs out for 7/16".

Seriously though, you can get running and driving FZJ80's for $3K or less. And if that amount of cash is a serious setback then maybe you're in the wrong race series. It's called the Every Man challenge but it's still expensive as fawk...
For me this is the cruiser i'm bringing. if a full float comes up i'll snatch it up and install it. It is the superior axle for sure.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jits View Post
I'm curious why you got rid of the stock airbox and intake tube? I can guarantee it flows and filters better than what you've put on there.

In regards to cutting weight out of the rig; the glass altogether weighs something like 400 lbs. Weld the roof hole shut, remove the moonroof and assembly. Replace all but the front windshield with lexan. Removw the entire interior and replace the front seats with something light.

Reinforce the frame-side front and rear panhard mounts. They will rip off if you're racing the truck.
Stock air box is gone for a few good reasons. it's heavy, the stock air tubes are in the way not to mention fragile, air flow should be the same, And a prefilter will be on it as well. For what it's worth i will strip out anything possible in the engine compartment. I will also build a brace for the afm as well. it should be stable.

your statement in regards to cutting weight is pretty much exactly what i'll be doing. Seats will be either corbeau or mastercraft. glass will be gone. all interior will be stripped. Thanks for the advice on the panhard i'd considered it and i think you're correct. Add that to the list of stuff.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Holy crap! only an arm and a leg. thanks for posting it.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzell View Post
I agree with the stock airbox, that one will be clogged before the first lap.

Remember to have fun with it! It is a lot of money to spend so at least have some fun!
Thanks for the advice on that. So a prefilter won't buy me some time on it? If not i might reconsider it's placement. possibly draw air from the inside of the rig. I'd like to be able to swap that filter at the first lap for a fresh one.

It's been a lot of work and time but fun is the name of the game for me with this endeavor. At least that kinda depends on what night you ask me about it. I've questioned my sanity a few times so far.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 175069
1483BFA7-CD4E-43DF-ADBB-9643D2FA4FD6 by themightymouse84, on Flickr

I cant thank Jason at CruisinOffroad.com for the skidplates. They look tough as nails and provide belly coverage for all of what i need. For bolt on skids these are at the top of my list for the cruiser. I'll be posting them in more detail when i install them.
Cruisin Off Road - Skid Plates
Old 09-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 175069
I chose the vr10-s for a few reaqsons. It's light! weight difference is comparable to my m8000 on my other rig. I like the synthetic line for safety reasons for my codriver. Compact design keeps it simple. A 10,000lb winch seemed perfect for pulling this heavy pig out when i inevitably get it stuck.
728A1C95-AD94-45C2-BA85-93164428C8B9 by themightymouse84, on Flickr
I'll get some better pics of my winch plate when we tear down for rear suspension and skidplate install. I plan on building the cage to tie into it.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Putting in work on both cruisers this weekend. Had to pull the rear diff on the red one for repair. I need a bigger shop. That rear bumper on the white cruiser is not long for this world. It will be gone this month.
72F9D691-6A21-437F-BDF1-36B53108ED6C by themightymouse84, on Flickr

Last edited by mightymouse84; 09-03-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 726234
Subbed. If you need any parts or spares let me know. Are you planning to race at 2019 KOH? That filter imo is fine, I had essentially the same thing and never even cleaned it.
snivilous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in