FZJ80 New kickdown cable, where do I crimp this little bead on the cable??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 39492
FZJ80 New kickdown cable, where do I crimp this little bead on the cable???

1996 LX450, the exhaust gasket on the rear manifold failed and bbq'd the kickdown cable. It's melted and I assume stretched. I bought a new one, and while I was at it threw a shift kit in, since the pan was already off to connect the cable end.

I have found a bunch of threads saying that the little crimp bead should protrude about 1mm from the rubber sleeve, but this new kickdown cable doesn't have the crimp bead installed, it came in a separate bag, taped to the cable. Is there a factory recommended distance it should be from the end? Before I just copy the same distance from the cable end on the jacked up factory cable, I want to see if anyone has guidance on where to clamp it, If the cable is to be adjusted based on its location, I assume its location is fairly important.

I know I have had friends burn up several GM transmissions due to poor kickdown cable adjustment, and I don't want to follow suit. Should I just omit it and adjust the cable to the point where it's just shy of applying tension? I don't dare risk my entire tranny on a guess here.
reddman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 39492
Yeah yeah yeah, it links to another forum, but it seems that all the relevant photos are located elsewhere. Here is the adjustment at the throttle end of the kickdown cable that I keep finding. The little crimp bead that should be protruding is what I am trying to find the proper location for. I could crimp it anywhere and adjust it to spec, but obviously where it gets crimped is key.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/kic...274551&slide=0

Last edited by reddman; 11-07-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 39492
For now I have set the crimp ring aside, and adjusted the cable to the point right before it starts applying tension on the cam in the transmission. I took it for a spin around the block, and have to say that it shifts even softer than before the shift kit. I set the shift kit up for "truck" shifts, not "hot rod", and added the full manual Low gear option so it won't jump to 2nd when I want it stuck in 1st. This is definitely NOT shifting as hard as prior shift kits I have had in TH400 and 700R4 trannys (on the same "truck" shift setting), so I assume the kickdown cable is not yet correct.

I am going to tighten it up some and try again, but this approach really spooks me. The part was genuine Toyota, so the fact that I am seeing FSM pages showing the bead, but not where to crimp it is befuddling.

Do any trans experts know if there is a risk to over adjusting the kickdown cable tension? I am tempted to just keep going until it "feels" like the shifts are right if I can't find any better info. As I understand its function, it simply increases line pressure as throttle position increases, or is there more to it than that? Is there risk to running it too tight (so long as it has travel) to keep pressures up? It seems that situations like sitting at a stop light in D with excessive line pressure would be hard on the clutches and perhaps generate excess heat in the TC.

Last edited by reddman; 11-08-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 213125
It increases fluid temps but itís negligible. Some guys will pull the cable until itís tight.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in