Welcome Newbies! Check in here. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2002, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Discount!

Member # 156
Send a message via ICQ to dog walker
Lightbulb Welcome Newbies! Check in here.

If you're a newbie to this forum, please check in here and tell us a little bit about yourself. If you would, give specs on you're cruiser/s and where you're from. Thanks,

Jeff
83 Toyota 4x4 LB
04 UJZ100
1990 FJ62

Last edited by dog walker; 03-26-2007 at 02:48 PM.
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2002, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6816
if i check in here, will they let me back out ?!
welcome all newbies!!!!!
Old 04-20-2002, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9315
Hi, I'm Brian and live in Charlotte, NC. I've just been reading so far on the board but hope to start posting some soon. I've got an '88 FJ62 with OME, ARB, 4.56's, 33" BFG's and lots of other stuff. I also have a 77 FJ40 I just started restoring. One more cruiser and its another 88 FJ62 that has been rolled. I'm either going to build it for off road or use the engine/drivetrain in a FJ55 I've been looking at. I'm also member of Upstate Cruisers. Guess that's it for now.
carolinatlc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2002, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11341
hi i live in Fresno CA

my land cruiser is a 69 fj40 its sitting in my back yard while im waiting to get my drivers license( im 15 ) while it is back there i have converted it to manual engadment using four speed parts (on a three speed) and I am almost done with my saganaw power stearing conversion.

My brother lives across the street and he has owened his fj40 since he was 17 (now 32) he helps me with the Cruiser. i have learned from some of his mistakes in the power stearing dept

thanks for the welcome mat now how do i open the door
goldenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2002, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 11048
Newbie Tom here checking in.
I'm a retired cattle rancher here in the state of Montana. After selling our 1980 FJ40 "fish mobile"
several years ago, I decided to find another. Came across a 1982 BJ42 in Edmonton, Alberta. Haven't figured out how to post pic's yet but here's a link if you want to have a look. http://www.bloodhand.com/4x4/
The turbo makes all the difference in the world.
I recently came across a 1965 FJ45 short box desperately in need of attention and is well on it's way to a complete frame off. To make a long story short, in order to buy this truck, I had to buy a 1978 FJ40 as a package deal. My wife was thrilled. The 78' is pretty nice and for sale. More pic's if interested. http://homepage.mac.com/tmccall/PhotoAlbum5.html
This group has been a big help to say the least. Thanks to all!!!
How long does it take to shake the "Newbie" thang?
Tom
Dh Mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2002, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8847
Newbie checking in

My name is Ron and I own a 77 FJ 40. It has the stock 2F without any smog equip. and with a Flowmaster. 4" TPI lift with soon to be new BFG muds (33's) It is my daily driver, and I have owned her for approx. 2 years. It is my first cruiser, and I am hooked!!! I live in Carson City NV, and work as a paramedic/firefighter for the North Lake Tahoe Fire Dept. I try to keep doing modifications to the cruiser, but as any cruiser owner knows, $$$ is an issue!!!

Tahoe Cruiser
Tahoe Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2002, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10407
Send a message via AIM to yardbird Send a message via Yahoo to yardbird
My name is Steve, I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia and I own a 1984 FJ60 that I purchased from the original owner in Orlando Florida. It has 236,000 miles on it and was bone stock and rusted out when I bought it. I have done the body work myself,and some other upgrades which include DUI (Davidson Unified Ignition) distributor a great improvement on the original setup, tri y headers along with a new Weber 38mm carb(installing next week) BTB 4" front and rear springscoupled with OME 2 1/2" greasable shackles and spring pins, OME nitrocharger shocks, Heavy duty front and rear sway bar, Stainless Steel brake lines, 35x 12.5 Goodyear MTR's on 15x10 Mickey Thompson Challenger wheels(just put on last week) these tires are awesome! New Mean Green starter and high output alternator,I currently have the head off getting ported and polished(I will let you know the results of that when I get it installed) Putting in a new RV grind cam from MAF still on backorder for 3 weeks now, going for the 3"exhaust when my wallet cools down a little. While I am waiting on the cam I am pulling the tranny and transfer case and replacing the seals. I can't wait to get this beast back on the road with all of these new upgrades!!!

Last edited by yardbird; 05-10-2002 at 10:06 PM.
yardbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2002, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10499
Newbie Checkin

I am a newbie, from Natchez, Ms., a couple of months old to this forum. I have a 69 FJ 40 and a 83 FJ 60. The forty has been with me for 30 years, is still painfully stock and original. I do all of the service and maintenance myself. Other than hunting and wheeling(here it is trail riding) it spends a lot of time under a shed. The FJ 60 I purchased a couple of months ago, and I am still gathering parts, waiting for the pull down and inspection. Since the cracked head allowed coolant to get in the oil I plan a total teardown and hope to get by with a freshening up of the bottom end. In the meantime I have been reading engine manual for the 60. I plan to park my GMC 350 automatic 4X4 when the 60 is running.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2002, 05:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5983
The name's George and I'm from central Nevada. I own a 1964 FJ45, a 1972 FJ40 and a 1977 FJ40, these are the ones that are tagged and licensed and running. I also have for parts rigs a 1960 FJ25, 1962 FJ40, 1966 FJ40 and a 1970 FJ40. I have been into cruisers for the last 10 years and do all my own work on my rigs.
rocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2002, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7856
Hey, Andrei here

I live in San Francisco CA right by Flatty. I grew up with him actually. If you're ever in the area and you see a house with 5 cruisers, that's mine. We have 4 FJ40's(75-78) and an 89 FJ62. The 75 is my brothers with a 91 TBI 350,Turbo350,MiniTruck T-case, Minitruck Axles with 4wheel discs,spring over.... The 76 is mine with an 85 Carb 350,SM465,PS,6pt,Recaro's,and 2.5 inch with 33x9.5's(pizza cutters). Just picked up the 76 a month ago. The 77 is bone stock and a project car. Its a mess right now but will be perfect by the end of summer when I finish the body work on it. I will also be painting it original smurf blue in my garage. The 78(my old one) is also stock with 48,000 original miles. We are the second owners. Its has been fully restored also and looks like it came outta Cool Cruisers but only at a fraction of the cost. Its now my dads and it is fulfilling his childhood dream. <br><br>
The 76 is gonna have a 4 inch thrown on over the summer and I'm gonna get a set of 35's. Thinking about a body lift but not sure because it will be sprung over eventually and I dont want a body lift when that happens. I will also be cutting out the rot and welding in fresh metal. I will probably paint it in my garage too. Also, Flatty will be helping me out with extending the cage and stuff. Anyways, if your in the area and you see my house, stop by, I'll probably be wrenching on my cruiser or something. Late!
CruisD64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2002, 08:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 10429
OK, my turn. I'm Rich, but only in name. Lives in Holly Springs, NC, which is near Raleigh. Been turning wrenches since I could hold one, my DD is a 'Yota, but this is my first cruiser.

I found my FJ while looking for a trail rig, and struck gold with it. Basically, the previous owner had Terry Moorefield of Winston Salem (he's awesome) perform the suspension and driveline work on it, and she's full of little tricks everywhere ya look.

Immediate plans are to yank the P/O's pathetic wiring attempts and install a GM column with a painless wiring harness, as well as fix the PO's screw up's as I find them I also need to replace the burned up Ramsey winch with a 8274.

Future plans are for a SO/SR, manual clutch conversion, and a few other tricks. Tires will go from 35x14.5 boggers to 37x12.5 MT/R's.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11442
Hi

I've lurked on this board for a long time and figured that it was time to thank you all for your creative (and inspiring) fabrication ideas for bettering these awesome vehicles.

I've wrenched and banged everything I've owned from my first Yamahaha 60 to my current stable of TLCs (I bought my '89 FJ62 in 92).

That truck was rolled and became my first wheeler and my latest addition (a '78 FJ40) will soon become water-tight and reliable enough to join it on the trails (mudding but no serious crawling locally).

Thank you again!
Dann

Cheers
dpaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2002, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 10429
Quote:
Originally posted by orangefj45
if i check in here, will they let me back out
This board reminds me of Hotel California...

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!"
Old 04-24-2002, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 11288
Newbie Check In

Been fooling around on Cruisers since high school in 1981. My stuff is near stock, as I can't make time to wheel, and Connecticut is not what you would call full of trails.

Edited two years later since the links and all were no good:

Been accumulating FJ25's. Parted a couple, kept some. Eventually I'll get around to restoring the clean one, or not. http://www.yankeetoys.org/25.htm

Last edited by Cruiser Nerd; 12-07-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Cruiser Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2002, 11:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 733
I have been around here for a while just absorb alot and talk only when I know what I am talking about.

I live in Parker Colorado.

A year and a half ago I started a complete tear down and rebuild of my '73 FJ40. When I bought it I didn't know a thing about cruisers besides that I wanted one. When I got it it had a lift, 350 conversion (completed ok) Toy 3 speed tranny and 3 speed tcase, 4 wheel disk brakes, and about 1/2" thick coat of bondo over most of the body.

Currently: I have a rolling chasis consisting of a completely dipped and blasted frame with a fresh coat of POR 15 on it, blasted and painted axles, 4" springs in the rear with 2.5" extended shackles - 5.25 lift, 2.5" springs up front with a shackle reversal, and extended shakles - 4.5" lift. A sm465 tranny, 3 speed tcase, and a 1997 5.7ltr vortec motor on the garage floor ready to be installed. The body is now 100% steel. All new body panels welded in. The tub is now blasted and ready for paint. York compressor ready to go in, freshly rebuilt knuckles, aux tank ready to install. I am running 35x12.50 BFG mud terrains.

Greg Warner
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2002, 10:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 9639
Send a message via ICQ to Advent Horizon Send a message via AIM to Advent Horizon Send a message via MSN to Advent Horizon Send a message via Yahoo to Advent Horizon
The name's Kyle, and I'm lucky enough to live only half an hour away from Mark Whatley's shop

Anyways, I'm 19, go to the University of Alaska Anchorage, and my '76 FJ40, which I bought in August, is the first vehicle I've ever owned.

It's got extended shackles (ok, well, HAD, took 'em off for the winter, having Mark put them on (correctly...PO to the PO did a lousy job) Sunday morning(I don't have time this weekend myself, and studded tire deadline is next Wed)), with Bridgestone 33" A/T's. When they die, I'm hoping to put on a set of 33" BFG A/T's...I would go for mudders, but I put nearly 100 miles a day on with my commute. I've got a 6 point cages, wooden dash (stock doesn't fit with the front posts), mid-80's GM bucket seats, a crappy stereo (aka, speakers lying on the floor in the footwells), a carpeted floor (don't do this w/out hercalining the floor first, gotta rip it up to clean up the surface rust this summer), and a really nice set of marine spill-resistant cup holder that match the dash

Oh, and a persistant oil leak I just cannot find.

On the plus side, the body/frame has very little rust, esp. for an AK 'Cruiser. The frame actually still has the factory paint on it. However, this is partly due to it being driven very little by the PO and by his PO in the past 10 or so years...which means there's some seals not too great, but that's not too hard to take care of (I hope...right? RIGHT? I'm not gonna end up in a month long seal replacing project, am I? aaahhhhh!!!!! ). Anyways, a lot of the seal problems have fixed themselves in the miles I've put on it since August, even including the pauses for the Poly gas tank, Carb rebuild (which never was actually done...), new fuel pump (twice), new distributor (twice again+2 sets of points/condensers), and a couple other little things that've slipped my mind. Oh, and I've trouble shot my fuel system enough times I can completely redo the entire set of lines in under 5 minutes, counting the time it takes to get out of the thing
TLCA member #12717
Advent Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2002, 01:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 10703
I live in Washington and have a '74 fj40. It has the standard stuff on it like spring over, shackle reversal, chevy 350, sm465, np205, dana 60 rear, bobby long birfields up front, 38" swampers etc.
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2002, 04:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 11518
Checking in

Hi, my name is Kier. I live in Tahoe. Have had 5 FJ40's over the past 13 yrs. Currently a '77 stocker that will grow up soon.

Cheers!
Old 05-01-2002, 12:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8805
Send a message via Yahoo to ryankalel
My name is Ryan, live in Utah Valley. I have 2 FJ55's, a 73 and a 76. The 73 is a parts pig, and I am trying to restore the 76. Going to UVSC to get a degree in Psychology. Married, 2 boys.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 11616
Hey. My name is Scott. I am from Birmingham, AL. I got a '74 fj40 with a spring-over and 35's. Other than that it is basically stock, since I just opened a business and can't afford to eat much less work on my Cruiser. So for now I just get to dream.
BAMACRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2002, 03:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 11697
newbie here

Hi all! Yes, I'm a newbie here. I've been driving cruisers for over 20 years. In fact I've been driving my 72 fj40 for 20+ years. It's a stocker.
Sorta. Small lift and front and rear lockers.
ARB and Lockright respectively. I also own a 83 fj60. I'm an old LCML regular and a lurker here.
I'm the current President of Upstate Cruisers.
Pumpkintown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2002, 06:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 10600
hello, dave here,
im a student from fairbanks alaska and own a '68 fj-40. no motor in it as im writting this, 350 on the floor aching to go in. floor rust about to go out the door with the original tub. aluminum much nicer up here in the "rust belt". im on stock running gear, but am upgrading the braking system at this time as well. thanks for havin me here in this bb, hope i can be of some asistance, you guys have helped me alot.
AKFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2002, 03:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
DAB

Member # 11780
Hi
My name is Dennis and and I live just outside LA Cal. and
must admit I have never ridden in a lc let alone driven one
but I hope this is soon to change. I bought a 65 fj40 all
stock soft top model with a blown up eng. and top missing,
but has a cherry drop down tail gate and still has the doors.
I found a used f eng hooked up to a later 4 speed that I am going to try and bolt in. I am sure that I will have a few questions
to ask. Great board to learn!
Dennis
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2002, 11:00 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 11815
I live in Maple Ridge just east of Vancouver. I am the original owner of a stock '78 FJ40. It has been in storage for the past several years waiting for me to restore it..............soon!!!
richard_laing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2002, 08:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 3809
Send a message via MSN to design311 Send a message via Yahoo to design311
Cool Checking in...

Newbie checking in here... I just bought my first Cruiser. It's a 1973 FJ40, it's mustard yellow and has 118k original miles on it. Pretty clean little ride but it does have the normal cancer in the rear corners. I've owned Toyota trucks for about 4 years now. I wheel my 1985 EFI pickup regularly and I hope to get the Cruiser trailworthy soon. By the way, I'm from Northwest Arkansas. Learned alot from this board already...keep it coming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in