Pirate 4x4 banner

semi-budget "1 TON" buildup thread

102K views 418 replies 53 participants last post by  rockthedog 
#1 · (Edited)
ok it's time to start this puppy.....it's been in the works for about a month.....my last trip to rubicon, i broke my last knuckle stud....5 this summer:shaking: ....
soooo instead of continuing the k stud upgrade i decided to go 1ton....i've been wheelin cruiser axles (the same cruiser axles)for over 26 years so i think i deserve this trip to the dark side:cool2:
the plan:
rear axle-14 bolt dual rear wheel,4:56, detroit locker...63" as is

front- gm kingpin d60, ARB, cut down 4.5"which puts the spring perches at 27"(cruiser width) aprox 64.5"wms ...30 spline outers for now unless i can squeeze into some 35's...hence the budget

steering-WFO double hi-steer:smokin: same design as the labs stuff i have.....WFO arms shim the knuckles and loose the springs in the kingpin

brakes- 3/4 ton gm disc front and rear(15" wheels minor grinding), with line lock e-brake....corvette master

t-case-dana 300,hd output, twin stick,clocked flat....planning 4:1 if the budget allows

sbc 350 and sm465 already in my rig

springs-fj60 rears flipped*rockhugger your the man* 40series flipped infront....i have a set i used to run on the rear with tourque leafs i'll try them .....see if they work . if not i'll just go back to my current ones......i'm at 98" now with 40's front and 55's rear....i sould be at 101"

tires and wheels- 38x14.5x15 sx's 4" back space black rock crawlers

i've been aquiring parts for about a month and didn't want to post till i had everything......so i've got pretty much all of it . the 60 is of for it's "procedure" so i guess its'time to get busy:D

i'll start with a before pic

Attachments

See less See more
#302 ·
wheres my toyota trails

hay tlca Delegate sir glen !! what & where is the last issue of my trails ??/
did I miss it !!!:confused: :confused: :confused:
oh ya < nice welding , good job !!:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
PS how many more laps do we have left ??

#303 ·
hay tlca Delegate sir glen !! what & where is the last issue of my trails ??/
did I miss it !!!:confused: :confused: :confused:
oh ya < nice welding , good job !!:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
PS how many more laps do we have left ??

thanks mike.......
i didn't get my trails either . i called jenifer, her # is on the inside of the trails. leave her a message and she'll get back to you.

laps???

#306 ·
got the driveline in to so i could set the pinion angle....i'm having trouble with the camera , sorry for the blur and the avgle is not as severe as it looks:shaking:

Attachments

#418 ·
rockthedog,

Do you recall what your driveline angles were with this setup?
Did you have any issues with vibrations at certain speeds/rpms?

I am building a similar project, FJ40, highway and off-road use, 60 flipped rear springs, GM 383 stroker, nv4500, atlas 2, D60 high pinion rear. As I currently have my driveline placed:

Measured driveshaft length is 24" (output flange to 1350 yoke)
Atlas 2 output is 4.1* down to the rear
Pinion pointed 23* up to TC output flange (Assuming a DC joint)
Net Driveshaft angle of 18.9*

Appreciate your input, Thanks

#307 · (Edited)
finished the exhaust ...this time i put a clamp in so can take it apart....before it wouldn't come out with the cross member in

Attachments

#308 · (Edited)
i finis welding the perches and made som shock mounts.....also i put a new solenoid in my powermaster.....and rerouted some fuel lines and elect.....all the small time consuming stuff
back at it today , more pics later

Attachments

#309 ·
hurry up! the shop swap meet is a month away. im gonna need something there to park my jeep on top of.:D

#313 ·
the center hump and stuff isn't in yet, but i wanted to drive it to make sure the clutch and tranny and t-case were working so i had to put it's shoes on:cool2:

Attachments

#316 · (Edited)
it rides and handles perfect.......all i have to do is get the front driveline , install the seats etc. and build a trac bar.......i marked the rear fenders for a little more trimming ....all this will have to waite for next weekend. i put the rollers on and put it back in the garage.....also i need to put it at 1/8th"toe, and a skidplate

Attachments

#320 ·
front fenders ?/

:confused: :confused: :confused:
looks like the front fenders got a little smaller ??
looking GOOD !!! :D :D :D :D :
lets go get it awnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ! :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

#328 · (Edited)
thanks cali

i got the twin stick done ...when you clock the 300 it hits the 465.......i had to modify the shifter where it attch to the lever. i cut it and rewelded it ....this is before.

Attachments

#333 ·
:laughing: thanks for that:smokin: .......that episode is what started the wheels a turnin to do this project.
cadillac seems to have my number anyway.at least after midnight. i should start going out backwards through the trail. it would be less trouble:shaking:

yep ben i stuck that shift instruction sticker there for now cuz it's all new to me and i'm old and can't remember stuff:laughing: it's a lame little sticker , it won't hold fro long.
i wish i had a stock (looking) glove box plauque that has the d300 and sm465 instructions on it.......anyone out there that tallented?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.