Pirate 4x4 banner

semi-budget "1 TON" buildup thread

102K views 418 replies 53 participants last post by  rockthedog 
#1 · (Edited)
ok it's time to start this puppy.....it's been in the works for about a month.....my last trip to rubicon, i broke my last knuckle stud....5 this summer:shaking: ....
soooo instead of continuing the k stud upgrade i decided to go 1ton....i've been wheelin cruiser axles (the same cruiser axles)for over 26 years so i think i deserve this trip to the dark side:cool2:
the plan:
rear axle-14 bolt dual rear wheel,4:56, detroit locker...63" as is

front- gm kingpin d60, ARB, cut down 4.5"which puts the spring perches at 27"(cruiser width) aprox 64.5"wms ...30 spline outers for now unless i can squeeze into some 35's...hence the budget

steering-WFO double hi-steer:smokin: same design as the labs stuff i have.....WFO arms shim the knuckles and loose the springs in the kingpin

brakes- 3/4 ton gm disc front and rear(15" wheels minor grinding), with line lock e-brake....corvette master

t-case-dana 300,hd output, twin stick,clocked flat....planning 4:1 if the budget allows

sbc 350 and sm465 already in my rig

springs-fj60 rears flipped*rockhugger your the man* 40series flipped infront....i have a set i used to run on the rear with tourque leafs i'll try them .....see if they work . if not i'll just go back to my current ones......i'm at 98" now with 40's front and 55's rear....i sould be at 101"

tires and wheels- 38x14.5x15 sx's 4" back space black rock crawlers

i've been aquiring parts for about a month and didn't want to post till i had everything......so i've got pretty much all of it . the 60 is of for it's "procedure" so i guess its'time to get busy:D

i'll start with a before pic

Attachments

See less See more
#129 ·
trevor at WFO knows what kind of vehicle it's going on, i'm sure he would have said something like "hey , these don't work with leaf springs":D ..........yer killing me john:D

honestly the same thing came to mind for me too:laughing:

#132 ·
Look'n SWEET!! I am so jelouse of that 60 you building!!

Got a line on a free dump truck up in Diamond springs... need a littl help checking it out if you are around during new years.

will shoot you a pm later this week! Keep up the good work! PICS PICS PICS!!!!

#134 · (Edited)
yeh , 30 spline for now, just to get it rolling......the "budget" part of the build made me decide between 35 spline or 4:1 in the d300.....i figured to build the 4:1 d300 now would be better and get it over with.... i didn't really want to have to pull the t-case later. the lomax 4:1 is $600 ...i'm also budgeted for 32 spline outputs f/r and twin sticks, so the t-case will be done:smokin: the 35 spline would be just under $400 for stubs and warn lockouts......the stub change would be a reasonably Quick job at a later date.

the custom cut longside inner is a chromo .....soooo if i somehow can afford to go all 4340 some day that one is already done:D

i'm always on the lookout for that killer deal on some spicer 35's and warn hubs.

hey damon shoot me a pm....if i'm around i'll check it out with ya.

#136 ·
wazup dale

i'm going up to grass valley tomarrow night to spend the next couple days changing the front springs and putting the 60 in and a couple other things........i'l be posting up thurs night:cool2:

14 bolt is 30 spline ........seems i heard it was a little bigger than the 60 30 spline.......check bilavistas 14 bolt bible....good stuff:D

#142 ·
i realized the u bolts i bought would be too small for the pass side single ,so i called trevor at WFO and he hooked me up with an entire front u-bolt set that includes the studs and the large 4" ubolt for the pass side......as well u-bolts for the drvers side

Attachments

#143 ·
studs......these were kinda hard to find anywhere else.

mike(one55guy) i still want to get some from you for spares if you have them:D

Attachments

#145 ·
here is a different set of 40 springs i'm gonna try,,,,they have an alcan tourque leaf......well see if they work

Attachments

#148 ·
that is a temp tierod......i'm getting a new one cut tomarrow if 4x4labs is open...
i'm going to cut my old tierod down to make the new draglink ....as well as re-use my old rod ends.......save some$

it's pretty wide with these wheels:D

Attachments

#149 ·
tomarrow i'm going to get some shims, the caster is at about 12......also i plan to do the minor grinding to get the 15" wheels on.......maybe mount the front shocks

i thought this little lawn mower was pretty cool at WFO.....it has a little stinger on it

Attachments

#154 ·
its not close to being done at all. still need to pull trany and t-case, put d300 in (still need to build the d300), build crossmember,skid plate, run all new brake lines,get driveshafts and 42"tsl's.:D

#155 ·
some more progress today.....

put 8* of shim in ......spent the morning trying to track down 8* shims. i wanted to put one on top and one under the pass side spring to even the load on the studs.

all i could find was two 8* and one 6*......
so in this pic there is an 8* under and a 6*on top to level the spring top plate they have the centerpins through them

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.