Pirate 4x4 banner

semi-budget "1 TON" buildup thread

102K views 418 replies 53 participants last post by  rockthedog 
#1 · (Edited)
ok it's time to start this puppy.....it's been in the works for about a month.....my last trip to rubicon, i broke my last knuckle stud....5 this summer:shaking: ....
soooo instead of continuing the k stud upgrade i decided to go 1ton....i've been wheelin cruiser axles (the same cruiser axles)for over 26 years so i think i deserve this trip to the dark side:cool2:
the plan:
rear axle-14 bolt dual rear wheel,4:56, detroit locker...63" as is

front- gm kingpin d60, ARB, cut down 4.5"which puts the spring perches at 27"(cruiser width) aprox 64.5"wms ...30 spline outers for now unless i can squeeze into some 35's...hence the budget

steering-WFO double hi-steer:smokin: same design as the labs stuff i have.....WFO arms shim the knuckles and loose the springs in the kingpin

brakes- 3/4 ton gm disc front and rear(15" wheels minor grinding), with line lock e-brake....corvette master

t-case-dana 300,hd output, twin stick,clocked flat....planning 4:1 if the budget allows

sbc 350 and sm465 already in my rig

springs-fj60 rears flipped*rockhugger your the man* 40series flipped infront....i have a set i used to run on the rear with tourque leafs i'll try them .....see if they work . if not i'll just go back to my current ones......i'm at 98" now with 40's front and 55's rear....i sould be at 101"

tires and wheels- 38x14.5x15 sx's 4" back space black rock crawlers

i've been aquiring parts for about a month and didn't want to post till i had everything......so i've got pretty much all of it . the 60 is of for it's "procedure" so i guess its'time to get busy:D

i'll start with a before pic

Attachments

See less See more
#166 ·
Lookin good Glen. You guys have been busy. Cant wait till you get this on the trail, hope I can go where you go :D :D :D. the club has a hammer and moonrock trip plan this year would be nice if you can join us.

thanks ken
i'm sure that beast of your won't have any trouble keeping up.:D
i got to get clint to save up for a two rig trailer to get me to the hammers:shaking:

#168 ·
lookinggggg wideeeeeeeeee

glen you sure have it going awnnnnnnnnn!,
just think what your cruiser will look like in 5 yrs ?
( coils .42" tires , full hydro steering ???? )
good job glen !!! I"M watching you !! & yes I have studs !

#170 ·
i stopped by WFO to pick up my line lock and trevor talked me into buying one of these too:smokin:

Attachments

#171 · (Edited)
for me right.:D

while your there have him through on some crane knuckles and c's, cromo 35 spline all the way out,8 lug hubs,arb,4.56 gears,and his hi steer arms.:D :D :D

thanks

#173 ·
yah clint i bought two pro rock 60's....a little at a time ....all i have for now is the bolts for the diff cover:D

TX those are 3/4 ton brakes, and 10 x 15 wheels.....glad you got a 14 bolt. your nicely on your way

i spent a good part of the day rounding up my brake plumbing....ss braided hard lines , banjo fittngs etc.....the corvette mc i have has metric threads so i was rounding up adapt....any way i got lots done but not much for photo

lower shock mounts

Attachments

#176 · (Edited)
mc installed

EDIT: this mc was a piece of crap and the wrong one .....it was defective out of the box.
page 10 of this thread has the install and replumbing of the new one

Attachments

#177 ·
i got some lines plumbed, ss braided are in. and installed the drag link....today i'll do the tierod install shocks and hopefully finish the brakes...

brakes are a pain:laughing:

#179 ·
i'm using gm 3/4 ton cal(8 lug), mid 80's vette mc....the rock stomper kit would prolly be easier and chea[er.....the vette mc is made for 4w disc ....i'll let you know how it works:D
4.5"angle grinder with the coursest wheel you can find and some ear plugs....7' grinder would be better:shaking:

i've got to say plumbing an entire system from scratch is a BIG pain ...i'm sure next time will be easier:D after all was said and done the front are blead and work good the rear is leaking at the master. the mc is metric :shaking: i found adapt for the small size two front brake ports however the rear single port is a 12mm #1 thread and an adpt was impossible to find here so a tube shop made me a custom line for it ......they put in a reg dbl flare brake line and needs to be what i would call a tapered pipe fitting.....now i'm on the lookout for this adpt...12mm#1 male 3/16 fmale

anyway it leaks at the arrow

Attachments

#183 ·
i welde a couple 1/4"bolts to the center section to attch clamps for the line ...it's pretty secure

crimmy pic

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.