Pirate 4x4 banner

semi-budget "1 TON" buildup thread

102K views 418 replies 53 participants last post by  rockthedog 
#1 · (Edited)
ok it's time to start this puppy.....it's been in the works for about a month.....my last trip to rubicon, i broke my last knuckle stud....5 this summer:shaking: ....
soooo instead of continuing the k stud upgrade i decided to go 1ton....i've been wheelin cruiser axles (the same cruiser axles)for over 26 years so i think i deserve this trip to the dark side:cool2:
the plan:
rear axle-14 bolt dual rear wheel,4:56, detroit locker...63" as is

front- gm kingpin d60, ARB, cut down 4.5"which puts the spring perches at 27"(cruiser width) aprox 64.5"wms ...30 spline outers for now unless i can squeeze into some 35's...hence the budget

steering-WFO double hi-steer:smokin: same design as the labs stuff i have.....WFO arms shim the knuckles and loose the springs in the kingpin

brakes- 3/4 ton gm disc front and rear(15" wheels minor grinding), with line lock e-brake....corvette master

t-case-dana 300,hd output, twin stick,clocked flat....planning 4:1 if the budget allows

sbc 350 and sm465 already in my rig

springs-fj60 rears flipped*rockhugger your the man* 40series flipped infront....i have a set i used to run on the rear with tourque leafs i'll try them .....see if they work . if not i'll just go back to my current ones......i'm at 98" now with 40's front and 55's rear....i sould be at 101"

tires and wheels- 38x14.5x15 sx's 4" back space black rock crawlers

i've been aquiring parts for about a month and didn't want to post till i had everything......so i've got pretty much all of it . the 60 is of for it's "procedure" so i guess its'time to get busy:D

i'll start with a before pic

Attachments

See less See more
#211 ·
and of course i couldn't resist putting some tires on just to see what it looks like:smokin:

it is huge .....2inches taller, 7inches wider and, 4 inches longer

i only put three tires on it and jacked up the axle on the rear pass side to level.

i put the rollers back on for doing the tranny.....my jack isn't that tall:D

Attachments

#213 ·
delegate right awnnnnnnnnnnn glen

that cruiser is :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: lets get er done !!!:grinpimp: :grinpimp: :grinpimp: :grinpimp:

#218 ·
:laughing: :laughing:

yep ' i have arrived.....my contribution to the call was , when they were taking roll and said "toyota rocks?"..............i said "here!":grinpimp:

the only people i recognized was mark and ross wooooody

i should have busted in and asked where the heck my trails is:shaking:

#221 ·
looks good. you think you are going to be able to keep up with us now?:D :D :D

#224 ·
yah clint i think i might be able to get of the bunny slopes now:laughing:

the hi-lift has a couple more pumps left in it....besides i have a 60"er too:D

i didn't do much today ....no pics....i'll post up the d300 assem this week

#237 · (Edited)
as a matter of fact i did :laughing:

i'm using a different camera and it is downloading them weird....anyway....
i spent the whole day rounding up the stuff to change my MC to the previously mentioned one .....this one is a 77 to 82 vette , has a 1 1/8" bore, and fits the adapter i made :smokin:
part#......mc39052pg.....raybestos

Attachments

#238 ·
i bought a double flare tool so i could make my lines custom length....pretty slick little set up

crappy pic

Attachments

#239 · (Edited)
i also picked up the proportioning valve and mounted it at a convinient spot.....i built a little bracket to attatch it to the MC

Attachments

#240 ·
the only thing else i did wass cut out my stock crossmember and a section of my exhaust since it was in the way of my new xmember

bummer is i think this is all i'm gonna get to do this week:shaking:

Attachments

#241 ·
Looking good Glenn. How did you route the brake lines? Does the front port on the master cylinder go to the rear brakes? That is how I had to set mine up. Otherwise, the MC would bottom out when I tried to bleed them.

#244 · (Edited)
yah charles i plumbed it per your recomendations , it has a great pedal , not like the one before.
proof that you could get i pos out of the box brand new.:shaking:

george i WILL have it done way before rubithon. (i hope):D i want to work the bugs out of it.yes the aa crossmember is outa there.:D

the new one is going to be pretty basic.

dustin the HMB trip got postponed, thanks for the info , i will be there soon:cool2:

#245 ·
got the tranny and tcase out

bellhousing was a little loose:shaking:

to bearing was toast

i might go ahead and put a new clutch ln

Attachments

#246 · (Edited)
ok a little progress today.

bought a new clutch assembly.....with my discount a new valeo was a 3rd of what a new centerforce was going to be, so i got it.
it isn't as beefy as the centerforce buat it is brand new. so in went the p plate disc and TO bearing and pilot bushing
the centerforce was about 8 years old but it looks to be in great shape, about five years ago when i put the 465 in i put a new centerforce disc in.
i bet i could have run it but i thought against it
also got the flywheel resurfaced

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.