Pirate 4x4 banner

semi-budget "1 TON" buildup thread

102K views 418 replies 53 participants last post by  rockthedog 
#1 · (Edited)
ok it's time to start this puppy.....it's been in the works for about a month.....my last trip to rubicon, i broke my last knuckle stud....5 this summer:shaking: ....
soooo instead of continuing the k stud upgrade i decided to go 1ton....i've been wheelin cruiser axles (the same cruiser axles)for over 26 years so i think i deserve this trip to the dark side:cool2:
the plan:
rear axle-14 bolt dual rear wheel,4:56, detroit locker...63" as is

front- gm kingpin d60, ARB, cut down 4.5"which puts the spring perches at 27"(cruiser width) aprox 64.5"wms ...30 spline outers for now unless i can squeeze into some 35's...hence the budget

steering-WFO double hi-steer:smokin: same design as the labs stuff i have.....WFO arms shim the knuckles and loose the springs in the kingpin

brakes- 3/4 ton gm disc front and rear(15" wheels minor grinding), with line lock e-brake....corvette master

t-case-dana 300,hd output, twin stick,clocked flat....planning 4:1 if the budget allows

sbc 350 and sm465 already in my rig

springs-fj60 rears flipped*rockhugger your the man* 40series flipped infront....i have a set i used to run on the rear with tourque leafs i'll try them .....see if they work . if not i'll just go back to my current ones......i'm at 98" now with 40's front and 55's rear....i sould be at 101"

tires and wheels- 38x14.5x15 sx's 4" back space black rock crawlers

i've been aquiring parts for about a month and didn't want to post till i had everything......so i've got pretty much all of it . the 60 is of for it's "procedure" so i guess its'time to get busy:D

i'll start with a before pic

Attachments

See less See more
#277 ·
it was a floorjack assist hangin from the cage balancing act:shaking: not enough room in the garage for an engine hoist......the cruiser tcase is much lighter and easier to center.....next time i'll put the tranny in, then bench press the tcase up onto it

#286 · (Edited)
otherside.......the skidplate is going to flush up the crossmember at the frame, in front of it and rear of it, so it shouldn't be hangin up.
i used 1/2" bolts and the frame rail is dbl thick on the bottom....should be strong enough

Attachments

#287 ·
i made the crossmember so when it was bolted up it tucked the 300 up the rest of the way .....now it hangs below the frame about an 1/8th inch, and clears the floor by about a 1/4":smokin:

i hooked up the clutch and adjusted it, and put locktight on the bellhousing bolts

next will be setting the rear pinion angle, which is almost perfect as it sits tacked ......and drivelines:D

Attachments

#296 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.