Pirate 4x4 banner

semi-budget "1 TON" buildup thread

102K views 418 replies 53 participants last post by  rockthedog 
#1 · (Edited)
ok it's time to start this puppy.....it's been in the works for about a month.....my last trip to rubicon, i broke my last knuckle stud....5 this summer:shaking: ....
soooo instead of continuing the k stud upgrade i decided to go 1ton....i've been wheelin cruiser axles (the same cruiser axles)for over 26 years so i think i deserve this trip to the dark side:cool2:
the plan:
rear axle-14 bolt dual rear wheel,4:56, detroit locker...63" as is

front- gm kingpin d60, ARB, cut down 4.5"which puts the spring perches at 27"(cruiser width) aprox 64.5"wms ...30 spline outers for now unless i can squeeze into some 35's...hence the budget

steering-WFO double hi-steer:smokin: same design as the labs stuff i have.....WFO arms shim the knuckles and loose the springs in the kingpin

brakes- 3/4 ton gm disc front and rear(15" wheels minor grinding), with line lock e-brake....corvette master

t-case-dana 300,hd output, twin stick,clocked flat....planning 4:1 if the budget allows

sbc 350 and sm465 already in my rig

springs-fj60 rears flipped*rockhugger your the man* 40series flipped infront....i have a set i used to run on the rear with tourque leafs i'll try them .....see if they work . if not i'll just go back to my current ones......i'm at 98" now with 40's front and 55's rear....i sould be at 101"

tires and wheels- 38x14.5x15 sx's 4" back space black rock crawlers

i've been aquiring parts for about a month and didn't want to post till i had everything......so i've got pretty much all of it . the 60 is of for it's "procedure" so i guess its'time to get busy:D

i'll start with a before pic

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
14 bolt $139 pnp
detroit $330 shipped, from pirate classified
dana 300 $150 , from pirate wanted section:D

Attachments

#5 ·
all brackets, ubolts, spring perches . spring plates, diff covers, tracbar hardware, shock brackets ,brake cal brackets 14b, etc (everything in the pic).....result of a tire deal from last year.....grand total $60 :smokin:

Attachments

#7 ·
gm kingpin d60 4:56...located by begging on this forum:D
i'm embaressed to say what a killer deal it was ; plus he included another 14 bolt:grinpimp:

see if you can guess who scored this gem ..........

Attachments

#9 ·
General Sherman said:
That cruiser would look good in green.

wazup neil.......i'm kinda partial to red:D

here's.......the goods

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
and of course my "hometown shop" is FAO ie family adventure outfitters.......neil and tara are my source for nearly everything else.......they are quality people that run a quallity business:grinpimp:

here is the 60 right before it was dropped at WFO in grass valley for it's 4.5 inches of reduction:D

Attachments

#12 ·
i have ordered the arb , and have purchased all the brakes and a few other esentials......there is plenty more to get but i'm ready to put the 14 bolt in as soon as i get a chance.......the worst part of this whole thing is my cruiser is 2 hours away and i can only work on it on weekends, but i'm extremely motivated and somewhat obsessed so i'll be pounding away at this as much as i can.

the cost of completing the d60 will determine how i build the t-case for now, as the plans change and progress i'll post up.

i think that's it for now:D

#13 ·
greenfox said:
see if you can guess who scored this gem ..........

I would have to guess "Toploarder":flipoff2:

Glen it is looking good:beer:[/QUOTE]

Toploarder is close:laughing: ........how bout toploader:D

hey i found this pic of you ryan.........i hate to taint my own thread but here ya go..

Attachments

#15 ·
fj40forlife said:
sweet man. Same rear end I just got. I like how it stands with tires not all the way out. Nice work

well thanks........but if you are refering to the first pic that is the way it sits now with cruiser axles ....:)

#21 ·
hey glen good for you.1 tons all the way,just got back from pnp.found a matching set of axles that im purchasing for my 72.i was going to go with a dana 300 but already have np205.i will be running 8 lug 44 and 14bolt for a while until i find a 60 front for the right price. just have to learn to be easy with the gas. but get more progress pics up.:D green definetly,just dont put FAO stickers on it.

#23 ·
Gunmetalcruz said:
looking good. The boys at wfo kick ass.

yes they do!......and their shop is 20min from where my cruiser is:D

don't worry tony it'll be nicely broke in (not broken:laughing: ) by rubithon.

thanks for all the encouragement......it's driving me crazy not being able to go out after work and get busy. but it's teaching me patience i guess......

by the way i have an extra 14 bolt drw......i'm swaping the 4:56 gears out of it for my build.....it will have 4:10 open.

if anyone wants it i'll let it go for $150.....i payed 139 for one from pnp and my time for pulling it.....:D

#24 ·
toploader said:
rockthedog said:
soooo instead of continuing the k stud upgrade i decided to go 1ton....

Well its about time!:evil:

yes it is:D

you are the man mark......i owe you big:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.