"The other woman build" - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
I made the frame plates myself and I didn't see any numbers on the frame, I guess if I covered them up then my cruiser ignorance is really shining through! I hope there's a VIN somewhere else! Thanks for the compliments on the fabwork.
Evergreen12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 67882
Yes.

Its where all the red circles are

Keep up all the great work

Eric
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
No new pics at the moment but I got my AA twin stick kit in (thank you Georg!) and after closer inspection, the adapter to mate my th350 to the xfer case is an older one from Downey that is very short. The AA bracket is made to bolt to thier adapter so I've got to fab my own mount for the twin sticks. Probably going to pull the xfer case to clean it up, fab up a case saver, and fab up the mount for the sticks. I'll post pics of what I come up with. Other than that, I'm still waiting for my steering components to show up from PSC so I can get the box mount done, paint the front bumper and frame, and mount the new springs.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Finally got some more done. My steering stuff came in and I got the box mount finished. The box BARELY fits in there. It took some effort to get it located and have room for the shackle and it's bolt, and have room for the connections for the hydro assist (real close to the crossmember). Gotta box in the framerail on the other side tomorrow.

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 6588
Nice fabbing!!

you could cut a hole and then weld up the edges so grime doesnt get in.

Or I would just stamp the old number back on over the top of that plate
[/COLOR]
BJ On Roids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #31 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Well after lots of reading and changing my mind several times, I finally ordered my wheels and tires. I'm getting 17x9.5 allied beadlocks w/2.75 bs, and 37"x14 bias Iroks. Oh and I know that the 36" Iroks are a tiny bit taller, but the apparently the 37's have a more square tread and I dont want them to look like baloons! I'll get some pics when they show up and I get all five of them mounted up, I'm thinking thats going to take some time.

Last edited by Evergreen12; 05-03-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 108716
A whole week and you have not posted up picks of the awesome fab work on the axle housings? You are a slacker!
azjake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjake View Post
A whole week and you have not posted up picks of the awesome fab work on the axle housings? You are a slacker!
My front axle and rear diff are now works of art thanks to a good friend of mine that was kind enough to break out the TIG and weld up my knuckles, spacer, and my rear diff. My camera is on the fritz, I'll have to break out the GF's nice one tomorrow and post up some pics. I did get the front leaf packs fixed this week and repainted. I had my head in my ass and drilled the wrong leaves and ended up with the military wrap at the front with the shackle instead of at the frame end. I also bought a sandblast cabinet and cleaned up the nuts and washers to reinstall the third members. I stopped at the Toyota dealership and picked up new gaskets for the thirds, and new cone washers for the hubs. NOT CHEAP!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Well, here are a few progress photos.

Here's the rear axle truss tacked in place, and the mount for the antiwrap bar mount I made tonight. I'm going to box in the mount, hopefully I wont regret using 1/8" plate. Should be able to get'em both welded out and finished tomorrow.

This is the finish welded spacer/sleeve on the short side of the front axle.

Got two tires mounted. When I get the other three done I don't want to see my torque wrench again for a long time! The 37's already look small, probably the 17" wheels that make them look smaller.

FJ55 rear springs. I have since removed another leaf from all four packs, it was just too tall. Hopefully the antiwrap bar will help the leaves live a little longer.

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 42146
Send a message via AIM to snowdemon Send a message via MSN to snowdemon Send a message via Yahoo to snowdemon
Looking good so far. Nice fab work btw.
snowdemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 91363
Props. You're attention to detail is really admirable. When do plan on having it runnin again?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss666 View Post
Props. You're attention to detail is really admirable. When do plan on having it runnin again?
I'm really hoping to have it running and driveable by September. (well technically, I doubt the seats will be installed yet as they'll bolt to the cage and it won't be done). But that's the goal for the drivetrain anyway.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Nothing spectacular, but a couple more pics of my progress. I got the rear axle installed so I threw the spacers and wheels & tires on so I could finally see what it will look like. I like the width, not too narrow, not too wide, just right (for my taste anyway).

Even with two leaves removed from each pack, it's still taller than I'd like, but I think if I remove any more leaves, the packs just won't last. I guess it'll be just right later on when I go to 39's.

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 67882
looks killer! 39 would fit that tub nice
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #40 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Well the project is moving along slowly. We are building a new garage behind the house and that project has put the cruiser on the back burner. Now I've got to get the cruiser "moveable" so I can move it to the new garage. Anyway, the front housing is finished and back under the rig. My passenger steering arm had a little too much rise in it for the draglink which would have limited my available uptravel. I must commend Luke at 4x4 Labs as he was very helpfull and had no problem with adjusting it for me. Customer service it seems is a lost art these days and Luke's is top notch. As soon as I get the arm back the final assembly will begin.

Here is a shot of the diff guard I made. It was a PITA but worth it.

Another shot of the diff guard.

I also picked up a Warn 9.5ti and sweet mounting plate from Datin Fab that will save me some time. Once I get the front end all assembled I'll have to mount the winch. I've got some clearance issues with the steering box so that's going to be fun.

65' FJ40 Actually installing piled up parts blah,blah,blah......

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 106274
nice bumper setup....
Black06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 103518
very clean!!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
So I've finally made some progress. I got the front axle fully assembled and got her sitting on the ground again. It actually looks like a cruiser again. Wheelbase is just a hair over 100". Next up is to fab a mount for the winch and install the steering box for the last time. I'm having to get creative with the mount for the winch as the steering box is in the way (that is if I'd ever like to remove it again).

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 13666
WOW nice work I like it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5.3, 4L60E, SOA, 35's, 456's, lockrights, ARB bull & side bars and warn 12k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

3B,H55, Fj60 p/s.... And a boat load of parts in the garage

[b]GIT-R-DONE!!!! [/b]

low riders want SWITCHES... 4 wheelers want SHIFTERS
kling-on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #45 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Made some more progress.

Here is the start of the winch mount.

Got the winch plate tacked in place and mounted the fairlead, and set the winch in place to make sure everything fits and has clearance before I weld it out.

Just made it, there is only about a quarter of an inch between the winch and adjustment bolt on top of the steering box.

More pics to come when I finish the winch mount. I've got to fab up a couple more parts and weld it all out before it's done.

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 64778
Looks real good. Like others said, your attention to detail and fab skills are excellent.

How far did you move the front axle forward?
Okiyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #47 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
First off, thank you for the compliments. The front axle is moved forward about 4.5" -5". I flipped the springs, and then got another inch out of the spring mounts. I got them from Ruffstuff and they have three holes in them so you can move the axle forward or back an inch.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 21750
Beautiful rig! Nice fab skills!

`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
This is what my firewall looked like after the previous owners tilt column install.

Here it is after my repair. It's not perfect, but as good as I can get it. I think it turned out pretty darned good.

I had to relocate the ignition crap higher up on the column so it wouldn't interfere with the brake pedal. I just welded two new nuts onto the column and shortened up the rod and bent a new 90 in it.

Here is the finished lower column mount.

The previous owner also torched off the clutch pedal arm, and bent the brake pedal arm over to clear the column. This resulted in a brake pedal that scraped on the side of the column, and was very close to the gas pedal. I cut off the brake pedal arm, cleaned up the clutch pedal arm, and welded a piece of 1/4" plate between them and moved the brake pedal over to the left side of the column. I'll have to take a picture of the completed pedal.

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #50 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 36289
Nice clean work!

Looks good

oober is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in