"The other woman build" - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
"The other woman build"

I picked up my 65 cruiser about 5 months ago. My last build was a cherokee xj and I was sick of the unibody. Anyway, my girlfriend calls the Fj "the other woman" so it seemed a good name for the build. It's got a 350/350 combo and saginaw power steering on it already, but which ever previous owner did the swap was a real hack and I've got to redo most all that they did. I've been collecting some parts and now that I've sold my XJ, I should be able to move along on it a little more steadily. Plans are:

FJ40 front springs/FJ55 rears (already got'em)
FJ62 axles (already got'em)
Full cage,custom bumpers, tire/cooler rack, etc.
Suspension seats (kept from the XJ)
Full Autometer gauges (kept from the XJ)
Bilstein 7100's w/res (overkill, but again, carried over from the XJ)
38x12.50x15 swamper sx's on Allied 15x8 beadlocks w/2" BS

Those are the highpoints.

Here are a couple of pics the day I brought it home

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Evergreen12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19510
nice

look forward to watching

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
530-268-9494

tlca# 12281
semi_budget 1ton build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

linking the rear

rockthedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Here are some progress pics of the axles, and the leafsprings:

FJ40fronts, and FJ55 rears, all cleaned up, all ends beveled, painted, and two coats of slip plate on all mating surfaces. (wholly crap was this alot of work!!):

Here's the FJ62 front axle I started with:

I got this spacer/sleeve and a corresponding longer chromo shortside 30 spline inner from Dave Gore. This will give me a little more width and get my spring perch a little further from the pumkin. The rest of my 30 spline Longs are on the way.

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Here's the ugly mount it had for the steering box:

Got the mount off, and the frame cleaned up:

I just can't understand why someone would do this! I've got to figure out how to fix it:

That's where I'm at now, I've got to get my other knuckle cut loose so I can turn it, and then get the axle mocked up under the cruiser so I can get the pinion and knuckles set so I can weld it all up, and add the knuckle gussets.
Then I can assemble the axle so I can measure and order up my 4x4 Labs high steer. By the way, please don't flame me too bad, but I've already got a set of six stud knuckles from you know where, I got them a while back before I found the thread about it and now that I've already got them, I m gonna run'em.

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8568
Looks like a real clean Cruiser. I have never seen those housing spacers. So it comes with the outer spacer and an inner sleeve I would guess?
Someone did a stand up job on that steering swap

KOH 2009 Team 435
KOH 2010, 2011,2012,2013,2014, 2015 Team 4431
EMC 4619 2014,2015,2016
TLCA# 5305

Last edited by RustyNailJustin; 03-23-2008 at 08:11 AM.
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNailJustin View Post
Looks like a real clean Cruiser. I have never seen those housing spacers. So it comes with the outer spacer and an inner sleeve I would guess?
Someone did a stand up job on that steering swap
The spacer is all one piece, you pull the knuckle out, put the spacer in, and then put the knuckle back into the spacer. I should have taken a pic before I installed it cause it's not coming back out now! Here's a link to the thread where I found out about them.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-cor...ont-axles.html

I'm working on fixing the front crossmember right now, and after putting a straight edge across it, I just discovered that it's bowing where it was cut. I'm in for some fun with this one.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 102244
I have the same spacer for my 60 axles going under my 40 along with some 30 spline longs and the extended short side. Axle should be right at 61" wms-wms. I Got everything from Dave Gore also. Good guy to deal with.
deliverance72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
I used a jack to get the crossmember straight again, and welded in a patch over the hole in the backside of the crossmember. Then I made this piece to fix the front, still got to make a small peice for the underside and weld this out. Shouldn't be able to tell it was ever there after I weld and clean it up. Almost hurt to go back and cut a hole in it for the steering box! Not alot, but it's Easter, got to do the family thing!

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8568
Nice patch job, real clean

KOH 2009 Team 435
KOH 2010, 2011,2012,2013,2014, 2015 Team 4431
EMC 4619 2014,2015,2016
TLCA# 5305
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21749
Is that slip plate box have aerosol or quart cans in it?
If their quarts where did you buy them?
All I could find when I did mine were spray cans so I could'nt get a very thick
coat on them and rust is already poking thru.

Looks like its going to be a nice build BTW!
65 FJ45LV
84 FJ60- "The 60"
KT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT40 View Post
Is that slip plate box have aerosol or quart cans in it?
If their quarts where did you buy them?
All I could find when I did mine were spray cans so I could'nt get a very thick
coat on them and rust is already poking thru.

Looks like its going to be a nice build BTW!
They're spray cans. I painted the leaves with two coats of satin black rustoleum first, and then applied the slip plate. I figured that would help keep the rust at bay. After reading a bunch of threads about the slip plate, it sounded more like just a spray on lubricant, and not so much like a paint.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 25622
the slip plate I used on my springs came in a gallon can of way gooey paint. got it from Grainger. http://www.slipplate.com/products/products_No1.htm
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 34369
[QUOTE=Evergreen12;8048204]
I just can't understand why someone would do this! I've got to figure out how to fix it:

QUOTE]

Somebody needed a VIN me thinks? Nice job on the patch. If you look at my Tinker Toy build you can see that yours is a much nicer starting point than what I started with. What part of Ariz are you in? Got anymore pics of the rest of the rig?

Welcome to Pirate!

Chris

Q: How do you find God to avoid Hell?
A: Through his son, Jesus Christ.

Q: What does this mean to me?
A: If you are living your life without accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you are on the road to Hell.[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
DHONDAGOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
I am brand new to cruisers, had no idea that a VIN was stamped there! I guess that would make sense. I don't have many more photos of the rig yet, but I plan to take pics of everything I do before and after. The motor mounts for the 350 are pretty ugly too. In fact, the cruiser looks pretty good from a distance, and there's little to no rust, but thats because someone "fixed" the rusty areas already and some of that is ugly too. I'll have to take some pics and add them. I live in Circle City, it's about 45 mins. N/W of Phoenix on Grand Ave. headed toward Wickenburg. Very small, most people drive by and don't even notice we're there.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 81992
you can use a chunk of 4x4 box and cut out part of the cross member so that the steering box isnt soo far out on the end of the frame rails, and use the 4x4 to tie the crossmember back together. ill dig up a few pic on how ive done em before.
trooper+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Got a little more done today. Finished the repair to the crossmember, cut the new holes for the steering box, and built the new front bumper. Still got to get the steering box mount finished and installed. Unfortunately the previous owners "mad fab skills" weren't limited to the cruiser itself, they drilled out the mounting holes in the steering box so I've got to get a new one. I can't decide whether to go get a new one at the local autoparts store, or order one from PSC/or? that's tapped for Hydro already. Can anyone suggest which steering box to get, as in from/for what application?

Here's the pics:

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 34369
Chevelle, Nova, Station wagons, Oldsmobile cutlass (70's vintage) S10 pickups I think.... Pretty much just wander the junkyard looking for a GM box that mounts inside the frame with 4-bolts attatchment.

Also look on IH8MUD in the tech section on the homepage for old writeups. May be some good info there with more applications.

Chris

A: If you are living your life without accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you are on the road to Hell.[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHONDAGOD View Post
Chevelle, Nova, Station wagons, Oldsmobile cutlass (70's vintage) S10 pickups I think.... Pretty much just wander the junkyard looking for a GM box that mounts inside the frame with 4-bolts attatchment.

Also look on IH8MUD in the tech section on the homepage for old writeups. May be some good info there with more applications.

Chris
I've been searching and reading like crazy on here and IH8MUD! I think I will go take a walk through my local junk yard and see what I can find this weekend. I need to find a steering column too. I seem to remember there being a couple of S-10's and XJ's there last time I was there. I've had horrible luck with steering boxes from the auto parts house, got one for my XJ with a lifetime warranty, and had to replace it under warranty four or five times in four years. Got excessive play in the sector shaft every time. I think a junkyard one could only be better!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 82124
clean looking ride from a distance. but sounds like the little "upgrades" the old owner did are horrible.

hurry up and put some tires on the bitch so we can go wheelin. my build should be done before yours so hurry up.
megadesertdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadesertdiesel View Post
clean looking ride from a distance. but sounds like the little "upgrades" the old owner did are horrible.

hurry up and put some tires on the bitch so we can go wheelin. my build should be done before yours so hurry up.
Great, there goes the neighorhood, I guess they'll let anyone in here. Yeah, it's turning into a snowball like always. I've got shiny new parts piling up in the house cause I don't have enough "quality time" with the LC. I'm sure you'll be done before me. But when I do get done, I should be able to drive this thing around town, and wheel it hard. This thing will be a blast! Go forward with your plan for the four door cab on your frame and maybe I'll have a chance at getting done at the same time as you.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 82124
drive it around town!!!!!!!!!!!! you dont even live near any towns to drive to(and a cirle of 3 houses doesnt count as a town). you aint wheelin if you are "driving around town" gotta make a trailer queen and spend $4+ a gallon in your tow rig to get it to the trail. put the brady bunch kids to work and get that mawl crawler dunn. MDD out!!!!!!!!!
megadesertdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 34369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen12 View Post
I live in Circle City, it's about 45 mins. N/W of Phoenix on Grand Ave. headed toward Wickenburg. Very small, most people drive by and don't even notice we're there.

I should be headed through there in about 3 weeks headed to Phx... Might have to stop and have a look-see... (Which one of the three houses are yours?)

Need anything from this side of the world?

Chris

Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHONDAGOD View Post
I should be headed through there in about 3 weeks headed to Phx... Might have to stop and have a look-see... (Which one of the three houses are yours?)

Need anything from this side of the world?

Chris
I can't think of anything I need from out there but thanks for the offer, that's awesome! You're welcome to stop in and check it out, it's not much yet but it'd be cool to talk to another cruiserhead. My house is the one with the neglected yard cause I'm too busy with the cruiser!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
Well, I got the frame plates done, shackle mounts on, and everything welded out up front. Now I'm waiting for my new steering box to show up from PSC so I can get the mount for it finished up and installed.

Last edited by Evergreen12; 12-27-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 67882
Like does side plates. did you make them? But it cover the frame vin!

nice front bumper to.

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in