Electrical issues- My hands are up in the air! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Discount!

Member # 156
Send a message via ICQ to dog walker
Electrical issues- My hands are up in the air!

So I'ver been re wirring my FJ45 for the past couple of weeks with a EZ wirring kit. For the most part, it's been going well. I've been connecting one circuit at a time, testing and moving on to the next. I connected the tail light light group, checked it, then moved on to the brake light switch. Connected it, it worked fine. Then I moved on to the front section, headlights, running lights, blinkers, etc.

All was fine until one night when I working on somthing under the dash, and I bumped the brake pedal and noticed a flash... The blinker indicators were flashing when I pushed the brake pedal. I then found that so were the front signal lights. So if I turn on the headlights, and hit the brake pedal, everything flashes. So, this seems to me like I got somthing crossed with the hazzard light circuit.

So after taking a week off (not thinking it was a big deal), I like to think I know automotive electrical pretty well....! Not! I've been tearing into it for a few hours now, and I'm ready to start throwing beer bottles at one of my other cruisers!

So any input would be great at this time. My only thoughts right now are: A ground issue, or possibly the brake switch, or the fact that I don't have a Hazzard switch hooked up, but I can't see how that would affect that. Please help me out, I give up. Thanks,
83 Toyota 4x4 LB
04 UJZ100
1990 FJ62
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67279
i have seen some crazy shit because of bad grounds
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 104239
Bad flasher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pooze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Discount!

Member # 156
[QUOTE] Bad flasher [/QUOTE
Why would you say that?
83 Toyota 4x4 LB
04 UJZ100
1990 FJ62
Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 89000
How are your rear lights wired? Are your brake lights also the turn signals or do you have separate turn signals? Also check your hazard switch. I have seen a hazard switch that was not pushed all the way and it caused some weird problems like you mentioned.
mtrent3450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 24859
I had the same issue. All the systems run thru the wiring in the turn signal switch. I had a manual with a good schematic of it. IIRC it seems to me the brakes and blinkers looped thru the switch and the hazards just jumped in on the blinker loop. all green wires with different color stripes, 7 I think. Get a schematic it is not that bad to decifer. I think that without the hazards you have to hook the blinkers up a little different. I just put a tester light on each of the seven wires one at a time and found what they did, the schematic helps you understand the blinker/hazard loop.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 89000
I just read your post again and saw that you dont have a hazard switch hooked up. If your rear brake lights also are your turn signals then the brake wires run in through the turn signal switch. It depends on the type of steering column you have. You are going to have to start at the brake switch and follow the print to see how it interfaces with the turn signal circuit.
mtrent3450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Discount!

Member # 156
There are six wires comming from the turn signal switch. 2 green/orange, 2 green/ yellow (these are front and rear blinkers. Then there is a green/blue (wirring diagram shows this as being green/light purple though). This one is for the power/hazzard. The last one is a green/white, this is what my brake switch is connected to, the diagram also shows this going back to the brake switch as well.

I've tried swapping and disconnecting all of these in various ways, it just causes other issues. I feel that I have it wired correct. It just really feels like a ground issue, but I can't find anything wrong.

Brake lights are seperate from turn signals, brake lights are on same circuit as tail lights. I'm still pulling my hair out over this one! Thanks for all the input thus far.
83 Toyota 4x4 LB
04 UJZ100
1990 FJ62
Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4783
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog walker View Post
The blinker indicators were flashing when I pushed the brake pedal. I then found that so were the front signal lights. So if I turn on the headlights, and hit the brake pedal, everything flashes. So, this seems to me like I got somthing crossed with the hazzard light circuit.

My only thoughts right now are: A ground issue, or possibly the brake switch, or the fact that I don't have a Hazzard switch hooked up, but I can't see how that would affect that. Please help me out, I give up. Thanks,
That's pretty strange.

So it only does this with the headlights on and it is normal with them off?

If so, it is probably wired wrong or cross wired from the headlights.

All the power for the brakes, turn signals and flashers comes through the hazard switch if you are using that part of the OEM wiring.

Pin Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 22408
I'm with you Jeff , I haven't had a working set of cruiser turn signals since 1983. That was the last cruiser I had that no one had fucked with the wiring on. I've decided they're overrated! Hand signals rock! Plus they baffle the uninitiated!
Rat70FJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Discount!

Member # 156
Somone on the general board helped me out. The strange thing is that I tried what he said last night, and it caused other weird shit, but tonight it worked! My only guess is that last night I had changed too many wires around and got confused. Anyways, the white "to blinker switch" wire (from brake switch) was disconnected, and that solved the issue. Also, the cheap ass China/ Ebay front turn signals do have a strange ground issue going on. I took them apart trying to figure out what was going on, could'nt find anything, put them back together, and they started working correct. I guess I need to replace those with decent stuff.

Thanks for all your input on the matter, now off to work on the charging system, then I'll be done with wirring!
83 Toyota 4x4 LB
04 UJZ100
1990 FJ62
Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 35951
Send a message via AIM to cruzerman350 Send a message via Yahoo to cruzerman350
if you have an issue with charging let me know. ive learned every inch of a charging system the hard way and they are actually very simple
Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19510
jeff i have my old factory front turn signals (77') the big square ones, if thats the type you run ......if you need them there yours

glenn

530-268-9494

tlca# 12281
semi_budget 1ton build

linking the rear

Last edited by rockthedog; 04-25-2008 at 09:44 PM.
rockthedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in