How do you spot A340H & A340F? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 159557
How do you spot A340H & A340F?

Looking to do an Auto swap into my crawler, & can't find any good info on telling the difference between the H & the F. Seems to be some conflicting information out there that all Tacomas have the F, but some 4runners have the H, while another spot says everything after 95 was an F. What's the easy way to spot between the 2 assuming you have no idea what it originally came from? I'm seeing the Aisin tags 30-71le & 30-40le, but can't find any reference from that number the "A" number.

Specifically, I'm looking for a transmission to work with TG's 107517. Transmission will be from a 3rz vehicle, to mate up to my 3rz (in case that makes a difference)

Only side by side comparison I've found was below, & it doesn't really show an easily spot-able difference, other that drivers/pass drop (which may be the difference, I just haven't found any mention of this.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by JETHROBODEAN; 09-25-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
JETHROBODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 184378
The a340h has 2 transmission pans 1 for the transmission and one for the transfer case coupler thingy. The a340f only has 1 transmission pan and a removable transfercase. More info in a thread I started in the mini truck forum.

Last edited by 88runnasr5; 09-25-2013 at 09:40 AM.
88runnasr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 159557
I have not found any pictures of the T-case "pan", that may be the easiest to spot if it's on all H's (which makes sense). Did dig up the thread, but only found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnr View Post
Ill 3rd the AW4 to Atlas 4speed....If you think you need that much gearing and gearing options (everyone does.... )

Don't be lumping the d300 in with "normal" jeep parts. That thing is a beast and strong enough for what you are doing, and it will do digs.

Just to clean it up:
A340f: removable chain drive, easily adapted.
A340e: 2wd version, the tail is swappable with an a340f tail, then easily adapted.
A340h: has an integrated t-case, difficult to adapt. PITA.

Oh and if you do one of the above OP dual options using a toy range box, I recommend keeping it the stock 2.28:1. The best advantage of duals is the option of a 2(ish):1 for moving around the trails quickly. If your only options are 1:1, 4.7:1, and 4.7x(whatever you put in the atlas or d300), you will be unhappy. Plus with an auto, you don't really "need" crazy gear options. Especially behind a v8....Though I have heard a few people complain about crawling with that motor...
Looking at the above pic, (which was referenced on 2 different sites as H on left, F on right) it appears the right actually has the integrated case. Am I missing something, or is this possibly just labeled wrong?

Anyone have any insight into the 30-71le / 30-40le difference? EDIT: Looking deeper, I believe both of these numbers are actually F's, just not sure what the difference is.

Last edited by JETHROBODEAN; 09-25-2013 at 10:25 AM.
JETHROBODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88runnasr5 View Post
The a340h has 2 transmission pans 1 for the transmission and one for the transfer case coupler thingy. The a340f only has 1 transmission pan and a removable transfercase. More info in a thread I started in the mini truck forum.
This is a fact and the easiest way to tell from underneath. The one on the right in the pic is an A340H the left one looks to be from a Tacoma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shift controllers and shifters, AMS mounts
Toyota Triple & Twin Sticks
John 3:16- He is the answer.
R.DesJardin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 184378
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
This is a fact and the easiest way to tell from underneath. The one on the right in the pic is an A340H the left one looks to be from a Tacoma.
Did the tacomas come with push button 4wd like 4runners? I always thought they where j shift pattern..
Agreed though left is a340f (top shift chain case) right is a340h (shifter mounts to side nit in picture)
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88runnasr5 View Post
Did the tacomas come with push button 4wd like 4runners? I always thought they where j shift pattern..
Agreed though left is a340f (top shift chain case) right is a340h (shifter mounts to side nit in picture)
This is a good question, I have a J shift t-case from a 4Runner, might be just a trim level thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shift controllers and shifters, AMS mounts
Toyota Triple & Twin Sticks
John 3:16- He is the answer.
R.DesJardin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Tacomas have either a jshift, or a goofy shifter with a button. The shifter controls high low, and the button on the shifter activates 4wd (i may have that backwards). The later is ofter refered to as a push botton case. No tacoma ever came with a pax drop tcase.

Last edited by Gslander; 09-25-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Gslander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in