The 4 seater wife beater - Page 62 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #1526 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUX X 4 View Post
You need Johnny Joints or those Ballistic joints and a lot more layers of sound deadening. My rattletrap is dead quiet inside with the windows up.... and sounds like an old Cutlass on hydro's held together with wood screws and zip ties rolling on Boggers with them down!

I thought about johnnys again but they arenít adjustable when the poly guts start wearing out and they have a 9/16 thru bolt and I need 5/8. I think more of what Iím dealing with is the cage being welded to the body in so many spots and reverberating noises entering the cab every which way and previous noise being louder because of it. Donít think any amount of sound deadening will help that haha. Oh well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #1527 (permalink)

Member # 34813
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
I thought about johnnys again but they arenít adjustable when the poly guts start wearing out and they have a 9/16 thru bolt and I need 5/8. I think more of what Iím dealing with is the cage being welded to the body in so many spots and reverberating noises entering the cab every which way and previous noise being louder because of it. Donít think any amount of sound deadening will help that haha. Oh well!
hashtag: racetruck

Drill holes in the tubes and fill them with expanding foam.... problem solved!
FAUX X 4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #1528 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUX X 4 View Post
hashtag: racetruck

Drill holes in the tubes and fill them with expanding foam.... problem solved!

Haha I have heard of people doing that. Overkill for me, hell a quiet muffler would do a lot for noise inside too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #1529 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
I think most of the noise Iím hearing is these cheap heims in my lower links. Those noises are way more prominent now. Sound just travels through the metal now with it all being 1 piece. Waiting for Ballistic 2.63 joints to be available again and that noise will be gone. Tires are also kinda loud and same with the muffler but they were loud before too.
My cheap RS heims make a ton of noise. I spray them with Teflon spray and it helps a lot with that creaking kind of annoying noise they make. That was by far the worst noise in my old truggy. Once it was all tied together you noticed everything. I'm really hoping my buggy isn't as bad.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #1530 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94toytruck View Post
My cheap RS heims make a ton of noise. I spray them with Teflon spray and it helps a lot with that creaking kind of annoying noise they make. That was by far the worst noise in my old truggy. Once it was all tied together you noticed everything. I'm really hoping my buggy isn't as bad.

Yeah the ones in my lower links are nylon filled and they were clunking since the day I put them in They were inexpensive though

Old 02-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #1531 (permalink)

Member # 851930
Quote:
Have you thought about using Summit Machine joints? I've heard great reviews of them not only for being quiet but also fully rebuildable.

Apparently I cant post links as I dont have a large enough post count even though I've been on here since 2001.

They have a 3" version with 5/8" thru bolt. Not sure what size shank you need or the spacing of your link mounts.
Rock Taco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #1532 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Taco View Post
Have you thought about using Summit Machine joints? I've heard great reviews of them not only for being quiet but also fully rebuildable.

Apparently I cant post links as I dont have a large enough post count even though I've been on here since 2001.

They have a 3" version with 5/8" thru bolt. Not sure what size shank you need or the spacing of your link mounts.
Damn! Been a while since I've seen you on here, your old green Taco was inspirational for my last Tacoma build

I've heard Summit machine joints are very good. You are referring to the Jimmy Joint right?

Summit Machine - Products and Custom Parts

I see they make ones with 1.25 ends but they have a 3/4 thru bolt. Wish their online store worked so I could see what they cost! Ballistic Fab forged 2.63 joints are $70 a pop.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #1533 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Contact them they will make them in 5/8's I'm sure if they don't already have them. They make a ton of odd ball stuff for people from what I saw on FB. I know their site wasn't great last time I used it though.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #1534 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94toytruck View Post
Contact them they will make them in 5/8's I'm sure if they don't already have them. They make a ton of odd ball stuff for people from what I saw on FB. I know their site wasn't great last time I used it though.
Shot them a message.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #1535 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
I think most of the noise Iím hearing is these cheap heims in my lower links. Those noises are way more prominent now. Sound just travels through the metal now with it all being 1 piece. Waiting for Ballistic 2.63 joints to be available again and that noise will be gone. Tires are also kinda loud and same with the muffler but they were loud before too.
So?

ear plugs...
Old 02-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #1536 (permalink)

Member # 851930
Thanks. Yeah I don't really get on here much any more.

I'm sure Julene would make what ever you needed. Shes always saying they are a machine shop first and foremost after all.

I'm really liking this latest build so far. Ill be spending a little more time on here getting caught up.
Rock Taco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #1537 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
You’ve done some good work...

So I’m upping my offer to $350... delivered. Was about to go $450, but that’s vibration-free money...
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #1538 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Taco View Post
Thanks. Yeah I don't really get on here much any more.

I'm sure Julene would make what ever you needed. Shes always saying they are a machine shop first and foremost after all.

I'm really liking this latest build so far. Ill be spending a little more time on here getting caught up.

Going to build another Taco? I emailed Summit Machine but I guess Iíll have to go the old school way and call them.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #1539 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
Youíve done some good work...

So Iím upping my offer to $350... delivered. Was about to go $450, but thatís vibration-free money...

Iíll do $350 shipped...for the Hot Wheels version

Going back to stock, IFS swap coming next! Weíll see how long it lasts but Iím digging it so far.

Adding a small tube bumper and some LED lights once I figure out how to make it removable. Thinking heims in 4 spots??

Old 02-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #1540 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 502649
Man I love the engine cage on this thing, so clean! The bumper on the other hand idk about, but Iím sure youíll find some way to make it cool.
Twmdodge99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #1541 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmdodge99 View Post
Man I love the engine cage on this thing, so clean! The bumper on the other hand idk about, but Iím sure youíll find some way to make it cool.

Embrace the chrome Once I add in the tube work it will come together, I hope!

Old 02-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #1542 (permalink)

Member # 166413
Lol I know you're running out of ideas when you put pod lights on your knuckles
downpour11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #1543 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by downpour11 View Post
Lol I know you're running out of ideas when you put pod lights on your knuckles

Whatchu talkin bout Willis?! Those have been there for a couple years now

Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #1544 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Cool

Oddly enough I kinda of like that stockish bumper on there. It's making me think I should have done something like that rather than my hack tube bumper.

Last edited by Gslander; 02-25-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Gslander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #1545 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
Oddly enough I kinda of like that stockish bumper on there. It's making me think I should have done something like that rather than my hack tube bumper.
It was cheap! $115 shipped for the chrome and top plastic off Amazon.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #1546 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
Iíll do $350 shipped...for the Hot Wheels version

Going back to stock, IFS swap coming next! Weíll see how long it lasts but Iím digging it so far.

Adding a small tube bumper and some LED lights once I figure out how to make it removable. Thinking heims in 4 spots??

IFS swap, awesome! your going with Cambell 1.5" front axles? What diff??

$$$$$$$
Old 02-26-2019, 04:28 AM   #1547 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
It was cheap! $115 shipped for the chrome and top plastic off Amazon.
Nice! I think mines still in the attic.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:26 AM   #1548 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by '00Tacosinger View Post
IFS swap, awesome! your going with Cambell 1.5" front axles? What diff??

$$$$$$$

IFS swap was sarcasm haha

Old 02-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #1549 (permalink)

Member # 155299
Quote:
Adding a small tube bumper and some LED lights once I figure out how to make it removable.
Dzus tabs or some of these?

https://www.quik-latch.com/QL-25-ser...i-latches.html

That’s assuming you’re talking about making the chrome bumper removable.

Last edited by midcoma; 02-26-2019 at 04:09 PM.
midcoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #1550 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by midcoma View Post
Dzus tabs or some of these?

https://www.quik-latch.com/QL-25-ser...i-latches.html

Thatís assuming youíre talking about making the chrome bumper removable.
No the chrome bumper is bolted on already, I was thinking of how I could bolt the tube portion of the bumper on, the part I haven't built yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in