One Ton DoubleCab build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 597514
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Runner View Post
Im basically just starting the same build- mine is an '02 double cab prerunner. Just picked it up about a month ago.. I'm going with a HP60 front, 14 bolt rear and going to do links and coil overs. I'm thinking I might just run the Marlin duals , but not 100% sure.. I'm also still looking for a A340F locally. I'll definitely be following this post! Good luck with the build!
Hell yeah. Are you gunna fire up a build thread on it? I'm going with Toyota cases I'm like 85% sure. Just so much easier to fit it all under there and I don't plan on rock bouncing this thing.
calcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 597514
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
The *ONE* change I would make to my 4WU install - 90 degree connection for the reservoir on the shock body. I have Brian's shock mounts as well, and I think a 90 degree fitting on the body would make packaging things significantly easier.
That went through my mind when I was unboxing them. We'll see how everything plays out. I think that's to clear his shock towers of you buy them?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcrawler View Post
That went through my mind when I was unboxing them. We'll see how everything plays out. I think that's to clear his shock towers of you buy them?
the 90 will clear the towers. Even a 45 would be helpful. I put some protection around the hose on mine because they are precariously close to rubbing the inner fender.

Maybe one day i'll change over - too lazy to right now.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 597514
Got all the 4wu brackets in. These things are pretty slick.

Hopefully work will slow down soon and ill be able to start tearing into this project.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
If you use Brian’s towers (Don’t see em) do not mount until you finalize your booster/mc solution.

Trust me.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 798889
Looking forward to seeing this
TJMitchellFilms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 432497
Bump..updates?
BigRonDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 117525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
If you use Brianís towers (Donít see em) do not mount until you finalize your booster/mc solution.

Trust me.
Make sure you go with the 1 ton m/c. I ran rear brakes only for a while with the stock toy m/c, then installed the stock front brakes back on the d 60 and had to redo some stuff to install the gm m/c.
bdatud4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 597514
Jeez itís been a while. Finally got the Tacoma rolled in the garage on the 20th. Rear end is mocked up right now on its own weight the front is all tacked up Iíve been cycling it figuring out where everythingís limit is. I wanna raise the motor and possibly notch the frame in hopes of a lower ride hight. Iíll post pics later today off full bump and how close that panhard is to the oil pan and how it sits now with the new rims and tires on it.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 89388
Just bought the wife a new ride. kept her 04 double cab Tacoma Prerunner. I will be watching this build to see what you come up with for the tranny.
Shaun (yota) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 597514
Hell of a build thread so far

The truck is pretty close to done. still a decent amount to do to wrap it up. but lets get updated up until to point im at now.

didn't chop the frame at the firewall and looking back I kinda think I should have. either way got the ifs outta there pretty quick with the plasma and started getting things prepped for the frame plates.

Tacoma 3 link

seeing where things want to be. had to make my own steering box section for the wfo frame plates to get the steering box to sit flatter.

Tacoma 3 link
Old 08-26-2018, 04:59 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 597514
getting the lower link mounts in place

and drilling the new dipstick hole in the block for the t100 pan. got the kit from toy only swaps and it came with the pickup the pan and I had to get this jig separately but it doesn't look like its hard to make.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 597514
cycling the suspension and getting the shock hoops and coilovers positioned

Old 08-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 597514
I ran all new 3/16 hardline brake lines and took out all the abs garbage that was on the passenger fender. it had a single diaphragm booster with a 2 bolt pattern so I swapped it out with a dual diaphragm from a 2000 Tacoma and I was able to get it to work but I had some issues with the linkage. theres a weird notch when you first apply the brakes. if I gave the linkage rod a little more throw I think I could get out of that notch zone but I don't know if will eventually build pressure and lock the brakes up. going to give it a shot and it it doesn't work look into a new booster/master combo possibly.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 597514
this is how it sits now. I rigged up a crossmember for the 2wd trans just so I could drive it. handled pretty good for no rear shocks lol. soon after driving it I swapped the front springs to 150 over 200 and put some radflo resi shocks on the rear. still lots of little tuning to do but im happy with it so far.

picture from when I brought it home to sitting in the driveway with my brothers Tacoma.

behind the local winco checking some clearances measuring for limit straps (mall crawling)

Old 08-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 597514
ive been building some Toyota cases too. got marlin 23 total spline inputs in both cases and 30 spline front and rear outputs. should be fine for what I want to do. not looking to beat the piss out of this thing. but I got those mated to the 4wd trans I found from a fella in chico. waiting on a horse collar cut out so I can start building the rest of the crossmember and get some driveline measurements.

I was playing around with center console ideas because I don't wanna build a whole new one. so the simplest thing I could come up with was just a plate with shifter slots and a cup holder covering the old cup holders I cut out.

bent up part of an angine cage for now too just to brace the towers so they don't fold in on themselves

trying to do the most that I can with only being able to mess around with it on the weekends. the goal is to make it to the roundup here in the next couple weeks but its not looking like ill be able to make it. well see.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #42 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 104033
by chance do you still have the fender flares? a guy at work is looking for them
Old 08-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 597514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4x4 View Post
by chance do you still have the fender flares? a guy at work is looking for them
I do. pm me
Old 08-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #44 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 139434
Looks great man. Nice job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7 tow rig

IG: @boomtacoma01

-Chris
Boomtacoma01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 104033
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcrawler View Post
I do. pm me
pm sent
Old 08-28-2018, 05:19 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 228875
I'm curious why you mounted the upper link on the passenger side ? Most 3-links have them on the differential/driveshaft side. It does seem like it simplifies the mounting brackets a bit, and may allow more uptravel, since there is no truss going over the chunk.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 597514
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
I'm curious why you mounted the upper link on the passenger side ? Most 3-links have them on the differential/driveshaft side. It does seem like it simplifies the mounting brackets a bit, and may allow more uptravel, since there is no truss going over the chunk.
Easier to package in this case. With the exhaust and driveline on the passanger side not much room for the upper link. Iím sure it can be done tho If thatís where you want it to be. When I got the 4wu kit I had a long talk with Brian about the options and this is the one we decided would work the best.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 856162
nice...
fourfivetacos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 597514
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I’ve been daily driving the truck for a couple months now and trying to dial in the suspension. It drives super nice down the road and 80+ down the free way. Haven’t had the chance to get on the trail yet. Still waiting on the snow to melt on the rubicon but it looks like sometime in June we’re gunna make a trip.

I need to post some more pictures. I’ve got a rear bumper built for it. Got my 5.38s in and a ARB in the front. Need to put my winch on and build a front bumper. But the more I look at it I want to cut off my frame at the firewall (something I should’ve done from the beginning).

My buddy was selling some 2.5x14 king coilovers and bypasses for a good deal so I picked those up. Since body lengths are different I have to re do shock hoops and bring them up a little higher so I might just cut the frame and re do it rather than just shock hoops. I don’t know yet we’ll see id like to actually do some wheeling before I cut it all apart.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 657626
Did you go with a tacoma case and old style case for the doubler? And whats your belly height/tire size? I have an 04 tacoma i plan to start this winter, I'm in the process of planning and gathering parts right now.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in