1997 T-100 Auto to Dana 300 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 63692
1997 T-100 Auto to Dana 300

Simple question that I wasn't able to find the answer I needed.

I was given a 97 T-100 4x4 with a 3.4 / Auto / ?T-case. I am wanting to put my built Dana 300 (4.1 gears and 32 spline outputs) behind the stock T-100 trans. NO doubler.

Will this adapter work?
http://advanceadapters.com/index.php...h_text=50-5710

Says its for a 95.5 to 04 3.4L Tacoma's. I wasn't able to search if both came with the same Automatic Trans. or not.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: found the answer. It is no. LOL

Last edited by Blase; 05-25-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Blase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blase View Post
Simple question that I wasn't able to find the answer I needed.

I was given a 97 T-100 4x4 with a 3.4 / Auto / ?T-case. I am wanting to put my built Dana 300 (4.1 gears and 32 spline outputs) behind the stock T-100 trans. NO doubler.

Will this adapter work?
http://advanceadapters.com/index.php...h_text=50-5710

Says its for a 95.5 to 04 3.4L Tacoma's. I wasn't able to search if both came with the same Automatic Trans. or not.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: found the answer. It is no. LOL
What transmission came in the T100? Is it driver or pass drop? That adapter you found fit on my Tacoma with an Atlas 2 speed. And my transmission is from a 97 4runner with a 3.4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 63692
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
What transmission came in the T100? Is it driver or pass drop? That adapter you found fit on my Tacoma with an Atlas 2 speed. And my transmission is from a 97 4runner with a 3.4
The 97 T-100 has an A340F Trans. with a passenger drop case. That's where the issue comes in. Your 97 4runner was drivers drop with a A340H trans...... if I did my reseach right.

Advanced Adapters has been very helpful thus far. They told me it would not work and that they have not yet built the adapter I'm looking for......but that if I sent them some pictures of the back of the trans. they could probably put an adapter together for me based off of the one in the link. So balls in my court to get it apart and look at what it is exactly.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
The 97 T-100 has an A340F Trans. with a passenger drop case. That's where the issue comes in. Your 97 4runner was drivers drop with a A340H trans...... if I did my reseach right.

Advanced Adapters has been very helpful thus far. They told me it would not work and that they have not yet built the adapter I'm looking for......but that if I sent them some pictures of the back of the trans. they could probably put an adapter together for me based off of the one in the link. So balls in my court to get it apart and look at what it is exactly.

I guarantee you I have an A340F. I think the issue lies in the fact that your tail housing is different than the driver drop A340F. I bet you’d be able to unbolt your T100 tail housing and bolt on a driver drop A340F tail housing and buy the AA adapter without issues. My curiosity lies in the A340F with the passenger drop, can you post any pictures of it? Would potentially be an easy swap for anyone wanting to run a pass drop axle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 63692
Quote:
I guarantee you I have an A340F. I think the issue lies in the fact that your tail housing is different than the driver drop A340F. I bet you’d be able to unbolt your T100 tail housing and bolt on a driver drop A340F tail housing and buy the AA adapter without issues. My curiosity lies in the A340F with the passenger drop, can you post any pictures of it? Would potentially be an easy swap for anyone wanting to run a pass drop axle.
Once I get it apart i'll take and post some pictures. Will be a couple weeks or more till I get to that point.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Could always grab an aw4, swap on the T100 bell and converter, then bolt on the D300.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 63692
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Could always grab an aw4, swap on the T100 bell and converter, then bolt on the D300.
What year jeeps did an AW4 come in? What about the electronics? Would it be that simple as just to swap them out and plug it all back in?

Edit: Gotta love Google. LOL

The Aisin Warner AW4 transmission is an automatic shift, four-speed overdrive transmission used in the 1987-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee and MJ Comanche models. Its only year in the ZJ Grand Cherokee was 1993, and only with the six-cylinder.

The AW4 is predominantly found behind the AMC 4.0L (242 ci) I6 engine. The AW4 was also used behind the AMC 2.5 four-cylinder. A similar transmission is used in some Toyota RWD applications, known as the A340.

Gear Ratios for the AW4 are 2.80, 1.53, 1.00 & .75.

Last edited by Blase; 05-29-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Blase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
What year jeeps did an AW4 come in? What about the electronics? Would it be that simple as just to swap them out and plug it all back in?

Edit: Gotta love Google. LOL

The Aisin Warner AW4 transmission is an automatic shift, four-speed overdrive transmission used in the 1987-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee and MJ Comanche models. Its only year in the ZJ Grand Cherokee was 1993, and only with the six-cylinder.

The AW4 is predominantly found behind the AMC 4.0L (242 ci) I6 engine. The AW4 was also used behind the AMC 2.5 four-cylinder. A similar transmission is used in some Toyota RWD applications, known as the A340.

Gear Ratios for the AW4 are 2.80, 1.53, 1.00 & .75.
You would have to do some research as far as the electronics. Iirc, the aw4 and a340f are very similar.

The other option is swapping tail housings, but I believe that is more work since you would have to disassemble to switch the output shaft.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 139434
Quote:
Pretty sure you have the A340F trans as well. The easiest way to identify them is if they have a single trans pan (A340F) or 2 separate pans (A340H).

Quote:
This may be the best option unless swapping the tail housing is easier and the parts are available.

Here is a good thread regarding these transmissions.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...sues-faqs.html

2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7 tow rig

IG: @boomtacoma01

-Chris
Boomtacoma01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:

Genius! Mix and match is always fun

Old 05-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
The 97 T-100 has an A340F Trans. with a passenger drop case. That's where the issue comes in. Your 97 4runner was drivers drop with a A340H trans...... if I did my reseach right..
all 3.4's should have an a340f...

Quote:
this...
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 06:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Be aware that when you eliminate the stock t-case you may have shifting issues. The TCM needs to know how fast you are going. Just talked to a shop that ran into this adding dual cases to the auto and no TCM feedback.

Shift controllers and shifters, AMS mounts
Toyota Triple & Twin Sticks
John 3:16- He is the answer.
R.DesJardin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 06:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 63692
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
Be aware that when you eliminate the stock t-case you may have shifting issues. The TCM needs to know how fast you are going. Just talked to a shop that ran into this adding dual cases to the auto and no TCM feedback.
What is the fix for this? I'm looking to swap this drivetrain into a buggy not a street rig.

Wonder if the VSS from the Yota case into the tail housing of the Dana 300?
Old 05-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Quote:
What is the fix for this? I'm looking to swap this drivetrain into a buggy not a street rig.

Wonder if the VSS from the Yota case into the tail housing of the Dana 300?
It's worth a try to see if the speedo cable will fit the D300. Has to be someone who has done this or with an Atlas. The AW4 swap is popular since it eliminates adapters but there are things to look out in this too. Getting the right output spline count on the AW4. Torque converter swapping because of different input splines and bolt patterns. I know guys have swapped the inputs also.
Most of the people I talk to just go full manual control when they do a buggy, obviously that's why I end up talking to them.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 63692
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
It's worth a try to see if the speedo cable will fit the D300. Has to be someone who has done this or with an Atlas. The AW4 swap is popular since it eliminates adapters but there are things to look out in this too. Getting the right output spline count on the AW4. Torque converter swapping because of different input splines and bolt patterns. I know guys have swapped the inputs also.
Most of the people I talk to just go full manual control when they do a buggy, obviously that's why I end up talking to them.
LOL. good info. I'd have no issues with full manual control if I need to do that to make it work. Not really interested in swapping to an AW4 for all the reason you listed.

Do you sell everything that I would need to make it a Full manual?

I'm trying to make this as simple and cheap as possible! I have the built 300 or I'd go the Yota doubler route. Plan is to use Motor/ Trans/ and build a firewall buggy out of the T-100. I want to keep all the factory parts that make the truck run and shift if possible. Along with the A/c cause its hot in the south!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Quote:
LOL. good info. I'd have no issues with full manual control if I need to do that to make it work. Not really interested in swapping to an AW4 for all the reason you listed.

I'm trying to make this as simple and cheap as possible! I have the built 300 or I'd go the Yota doubler route. Plan is to use Motor/ Trans/ and build a firewall buggy out of the T-100. I want to keep all the factory parts that make the truck run and shift if possible. Along with the A/c cause its hot in the south!
Yes. Several options if you go full manual, some cheap some not. Better check out the website and then we can discuss.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 139434
These may help for the VSS signal.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/downloads/301506.pdf

http://www.advanceadapters.com/downloads/3006050.pdf

Its what i was looking at to have a functional speedo when I added my Atlas II 4.3

2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7 tow rig

IG: @boomtacoma01

-Chris
Boomtacoma01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 85975
I ran a Dana 300 behind my a340e before I got an atlas. I swapped an aw4 tailhousing (bolts on) trimmed down the output (not necessary for the 4x4 trans, used a 7/8" spacer/flip kit, and an AA Spud shaft that they sell to use with an atlas. I flipped my case to run it driver's drop but didn't have any issues. One thing that I think could be an issue with my setup in your situation is the front output or drivesahft interfering with the dipstick tube.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
editmars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:

His AW4 shifter stuff is one of, if not the best mod I've done to my rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in