3rz alternator upgrade - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 98198
3rz alternator upgrade

wrote this up on marlin board and thought i'd share it here. just went to the con this past weekend and it works great.

just installed a winch on my truck and the stock alternator was way too weak before, so i decided to upgrade. did some research and was gonna send it in to have it rewound, but the guy told me they only make parts for the mod for certain years of tacomas, mine wasn't one of the model numbers that they made a kit for and at $185 it was a little expensive. the mr2 alt at NAPA was $200 so i threw that idea out. i had a v6 alt i was gonna add and have two, but the box for the winch got mounted in the only location. sooooo i found a link on pirate of a guy that had all the part numbers and info to do a chevy alt on a 3.4 so i took the numbers and went to NAPA. the alternator # was for craigen and didnt come up in there system so we looked in the book and found one that was close. it had a 6 rib pully and we need a 5 rib so he pulled the correct pully off another and put it on mine.

so here we go:

~105 amp GM alternator, NAPA part #213-4513d $99.89

~ GM plug, NAPA part #EC101 $10.69

~ 906mm serp belt(could be 10mm or so shorter, but not longer)

~ 5/16x2.5" bolt and nut

no major mods had to be done.

first thing is take alt off, take bracket off the block.

once the bracket is off there is spacer/sleeve that is inserted into the forward bolt hole. pound it out then shave a 1/16th or so off it and reinstall it backwards, make sure it isnt sticking out on the inside of the bracket if so grind some more off.

next your gonna have to grinda a little off the alt, you just need to sand/grind down the ribs until smooth. the goal is to get the alternator forward to line it up with the other pullys.

once thats done pull the top adjuster bracket off and put about a 1/4" spacer or washers between the bracket and block.

now reinstall the alt, on the lower bracket i just stuffed a bunch of washers to fill the gap since the new alt has a little shorter mount. a spacer is probably the best way to go though(im lazy)

took the picture from the guy on pirate, it shows how to wire it up.

install the belt and done. took me 2 hours and most of the time was moving things out of the way to get to the alt.

keep going untill flush, i just stopped to take the pic

Black Diamond Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

steve_925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 34813
Nice!!!........ I like it when there's some tech in the Tacama section!

Bookmarked for future reference.
FAUX X 4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 83913
Did you still use the 175A fuse, even though it's 105A alt?

Thanks for the tech gonna upgrade this weekend.

Last edited by MtnYota; 07-07-2011 at 08:48 PM.
MtnYota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 49334
Starting mine right now. Thanks for the info on this. I had to go to kragen and source out an alternator for this and the napa part number did not cross reference.

The only part number that would cross reference was the EC101 for the new pig tail.

I am going to make sure the alternator I wound up with will fit with the modifications and if so I will post the kragen part numbers.

Last edited by OakieOffroad85; 07-10-2011 at 03:53 PM.
OakieOffroad85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 49334
Finished up with mine today. I think it turned out really well. The truck seems to have a lot more juice than before. My electric fan runs better and the 3rz seems to be getting a better spark.

I wound up getting a 105 amp alternator off of a 91 chevy corvette with the 5.7L V8 without AC.

The part numbers the OP posted for the alternator did not work at O reily's so the one I wound up using is an 01-0388 for 94.99 and comes with a lifetime warranty.

The swap went really easy I didn't even have to shave any off of the alternator. I also was able to reuse the belt I had before, so I will be taking back the 906 MM one as it was actually too short for my application. I had to add a few washers to the lower bracket and the upper adjusting bracket to line up the fan belt with the other pulleys. In total I had to move the alternator 3/8's of an inch forward.

For the wiring I took the stock plug for the Tacoma alternator and spliced the chevy one in with that in case I would need to put the stock one back in.

Thank you for the write-ups! They have helped me immensely.

Here are a few pictures.

Stock plug remaining.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 156973
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakieOffroad85 View Post
Finished up with mine today. I think it turned out really well. The truck seems to have a lot more juice than before. My electric fan runs better and the 3rz seems to be getting a better spark.

I wound up getting a 105 amp alternator off of a 91 chevy corvette with the 5.7L V8 without AC.

The part numbers the OP posted for the alternator did not work at O reily's so the one I wound up using is an 01-0388 for 94.99 and comes with a lifetime warranty.

The swap went really easy I didn't even have to shave any off of the alternator. I also was able to reuse the belt I had before, so I will be taking back the 906 MM one as it was actually too short for my application. I had to add a few washers to the lower bracket and the upper adjusting bracket to line up the fan belt with the other pulleys. In total I had to move the alternator 3/8's of an inch forward.

For the wiring I took the stock plug for the Tacoma alternator and spliced the chevy one in with that in case I would need to put the stock one back in.

Thank you for the write-ups! They have helped me immensely.

Here are a few pictures.

Stock plug remaining.

Ive got all the same parts you do, getting ready to do the swap.
I have a couple questions about your swap, did you have to remove the mounting bracket from the block as op suggested and grind down (once the bracket is off there is spacer/sleeve that is inserted into the forward bolt hole. pound it out then shave a 1/16th or so off it and reinstall it backwards, make sure it isnt sticking out on the inside of the bracket if so grind some more off.)
Didnt know if this step was necessary with the vette alternator or not.
Thanks.
knuckleduster271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 156973
Nevermind, finished it up today. Had to remove the spacer from the bracket and flip it around as op said. Also did a big 3 wiring (i ended up doing 4 wires though??) Lights dont dim anymore.. Test out the winch tomorrow.
knuckleduster271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 187534
Bumpitty bump. I've got a 96' tacoma i'm building that has the 3rz and is in need of an alternator upgrade. I came across several threads including this one that all require modification of some sort. I also found high output alternators on ebay that bolt right up for $140-$190. Is there a reason why i shouldn't get the high output ebay alternator?
707offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 187534
Does anybody have any experience with these high output ebay alternators?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145-AMP-135...D/283347864600
707offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in