Anyone put together a Rock Assault housing from TG? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 125937
Anyone put together a Rock Assault housing from TG?

Couple of issues. I have the Elocker flavor.

First, the 3rd is nowhere near fitting to drop into the axle as the stud splay is way off. I guess I could knock the studs into "place" with a mallet or put a nut on them and hit with a hammer. Anyone ran across this? What did you do to remedy?

Second, I have heard report of the rear spewing gear oil from the breather, on the rears especially. Anyone have this issue? I was thinking of adding a baffle around the breather. Again, anyone do this and maybe have a picture of what you did and your success in not having a gear oil leak.
dntsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 140406
Yea they are mass produced and the stud alignment is usually screwed just be happy you checked before applying silicon just wack the studs a bit unroll it goes on smooth I don't know about the breather problem but your idea sounds good
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 181071
Friend of mine has problems with the rear TG housing spitting gear oil. Extended the diff breather with some hose and then it started blowing axle seals. We saw a couple of the TG guys at the Rubithon and talked to them about it. Basically you need to fix it yourself is what they said.
toyotathomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 125937
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotathomas View Post
Friend of mine has problems with the rear TG housing spitting gear oil. Extended the diff breather with some hose and then it started blowing axle seals. We saw a couple of the TG guys at the Rubithon and talked to them about it. Basically you need to fix it yourself is what they said.
I know that its shitty to have to fix yourself but at this point I dont mind since its new in the box. If it all assembled and on the raod I'd be more upset.

Did they suggest anything to "fix" it?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntsdad View Post
Did they suggest anything to "fix" it?
Sell it and get a Diamond axle

Someone had to say it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 85972
by breather are you talking about the bellow thing that expands? those dont do anything but create PRESSURE after absorbing about 1% of what the axle produces. they create enough pressure to douche your face with hot gear oil at 2am on the side of the highway. run a hose up to a valve cover filter at the frame and you'll be golden.

And yes I still have lots of build parts for sale! New website coming soon!
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
First, the 3rd is nowhere near fitting to drop into the axle as the stud splay is way off. I guess I could knock the studs into "place" with a mallet or put a nut on them and hit with a hammer. Anyone ran across this? What did you do to remedy?

I had to knock mine into place with a brass hammer.

Second, I have heard report of the rear spewing gear oil from the breather, on the rears especially. Anyone have this issue? I was thinking of adding a baffle around the breather. Again, anyone do this and maybe have a picture of what you did and your success in not having a gear oil leak.

Mine has not done it but if it did I was going to plug the hole and install a bung in a difference spot.

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
popeye

Member # 20027
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntsdad View Post
Couple of issues. I have the Elocker flavor.

i bought a diamond, my third dropped rite in like the og housing
Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotee View Post
i bought a diamond, my third dropped rite in like the og housing
Brian is a little more anal about his products then TG is!!!!

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 166048
Had the same issue with mine. Two of the studs even came pre bent for me!

79 pickup 2rz, w56, dualed, e-locked, caged and injected :smokin:[/COLOR]
Build Thread-ish
jroach3210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 104033
I just drilled all the holes on the third a hair bigger then stock, and they fit.

I put

until I can take the third back out and weld a baffle under the hole. I also considered drilling a new hole off to the side, and putting a plug in the original and running the breather off the new one.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
O-ring Technologist

Member # 62564
Your location says Fresno. Why not drive over to TG and have them answer your question? Maybe they can finally get around to fixing to what seems to be a common problem.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 36308
I have a taco width TG rear housing on my truck that I DD and I haven't had any problems with it puking gear oil. I ran a breather hose up to the frame, stay away from the stand alone type. I had to tap the third with a dead blow to get it to seat, didn't take a lot though.
chromewontgetyouhome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11141
i have a taco elocker housing. no issues on assembly, and I am using a stock taco breather since my muffler is right above the center pumpkin.

CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 14094
Send a message via AIM to Hvy_Chevy
don't say anything bad about these housings... or you may have the same fate as Rick
Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 125937
I am not saying anything bad about the housings and certainly not talking shit. Its a nice piece. I understand mass produced items can be a little off. Just seeing if smarter people than myself had another idea that I hadn't thought of

I am just looking to solve problems before they start since I am just looking to get the thing together and installed in the next month hopefully.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts
Old 12-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 163057
i had to knock mine in. i didnt put enough silicone on though so im going to have to take it apart again and im planning on drilling out the 3rd and making some more room for the gears. luckily im in no hurry to go out or id be more mad
laskt9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 132064
What fittings have some of you used to bring you breather up to the framerail?
Redfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfin View Post
What fittings have some of you used to bring your breather up to the framerail?

Toyota intake vacuum fitting.

RCV 30 Spline axles FREE shipping.

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 6170
I too would say sell it and buy a diamond, but....

I don't have either housing, but after modding my stock rearend I had some breather issues too. If you could put a baffle in that will most likely help as the factory rearends come with baffles. On mine I had to just relocate my breather further away from the ring gear. The ring gear and carrier would essential coat the breather hole with oil and once the rearend got hot the change in temp would force oil and air out the vent. One other idea I thought of was to go to a bigger vent hose. I was using 1/4NPT fittings and 3/8" hose, stepping it up to 3/8NPT or bigger might make the vent hose less likely to "plug" with oil and allow the rearend to vent.

I'm surprised anyone actually uses those stupid bellows things.

Kevo
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 161484
Do you guys shave the bottom of your thirds so they don't hang down or do you leave them as is?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvy_Chevy View Post
don't say anything bad about these housings... or you may have the same fate as Rick
So if someone says something bad they will throw a tantrum and go through and delete most of the tech they had posted? I somehow doubt that...

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 136268
max p, I know what you are talking about and this is gona sound dumb but we cut a small triangle piece and welded it to the bottom of the housing so the diff casting wasnt hanging down. Just looked like it either needed shaved or needed a "ramp" to get rocks not to snag on it and possible break the casting. Kinda defeats the purpose of the shaved housing welding a 3/8" plate on but it looks right now and my buddy didnt want to shave the casting. My casting, on the other hand, is shaved down in that area and the seal surface is pretty thin but is working OK. I think shaving the casting would be more popular, but both work. Heck, most probably just let the rocks grind away the extra...
topolino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 166048
Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
max p, I know what you are talking about and this is gona sound dumb but we cut a small triangle piece and welded it to the bottom of the housing so the diff casting wasnt hanging down. Just looked like it either needed shaved or needed a "ramp" to get rocks not to snag on it and possible break the casting. Kinda defeats the purpose of the shaved housing welding a 3/8" plate on but it looks right now and my buddy didnt want to shave the casting. My casting, on the other hand, is shaved down in that area and the seal surface is pretty thin but is working OK. I think shaving the casting would be more popular, but both work. Heck, most probably just let the rocks grind away the extra...
^^ I didn't notice this till after I took mine for a shakedown run. Luckily I didn't break the diff lip off! I fell asleep last night contemplating how much material would be left if I shaved it off.

79 pickup 2rz, w56, dualed, e-locked, caged and injected :smokin:[/COLOR]
Build Thread-ish
jroach3210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 161484
I wish there housing was round enough that it didn't have the 3rd hanging down. I would lean toward welding a lip on the axle housing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in