"Narrow Minded" build part 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 166218
"Narrow Minded" build part 2

So I have not updated in a while. Here is the original build page:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...ded-build.html
I wheeled it quite a bit and it did great. Not great pictures, but here is some fun video of a fairly mellow trip we did:
2012 Colorado Toyota Jamboree - Part 1 - Mt. Blanca and Wheeler Lake - YouTube
2012 Colorado Toyota Jamboree - Part 2 - Patriot trail, Penrose, CO - YouTube
So in the fall, I blew up my third member and was going to be down for the winter. I had been toying with the idea of putting a turbo on my little 22r which was already on propane. After much researching and reading tons of info, to include Mr. Stubs turbo info, I got to it. I decided on a Garrett T3, which I was able to find several of at the local junkyard. They were pretty common on early Saabs. I did some looking at headers, and decided to build my own, from a flange I had sitting around. I built it in what I would consider a modified log style. The flange is 3/8" and most of the rest is 3/16" plate and tubing, all tied together.

I did wind up moving the flange forward on the header, as it interferred with the oil drain tube. I also modified it to move the turbo a little closer to the valve cover.

I wound up with several turbo's and set one up for mock up on an extra engine I have.

Oil:
I did not get any great pictures of the small things, but I ran a T off my oil sending unit hole on the block, and my turbo supply line is here. My Oil pressure gauge is on this same T, so I know, if I have oil on the gauge. the turbo has oil. The oil drain goes straight to a bung welded into the side of the oil pan.
Coolant:
I don't have a heater, so where the coolant tube comes off the drivers side of the block and goes to the propane valve, I added a T and tied it into the turbo. It then comes out the top of the turbo and across to the intake manifold, right next to the thermostat housing.
Exhaust:
Fabricated my own 3" exhaust from the flange back. The entire length is wrapped in header tape to help keep things cool.

Intake:
I ordered mandrel bent tubing from these guys Tube Bending & Fabrication - Columbia River Mandrel Bending
Good service and great product. All the intake tubing is 2.25". My welds aren't pretty on this, but they are airtight.

I machined plates and fabricated the pieces to tie the tubing into the carburator throttle plate and the back of the propane mixer. You can also see where the coolant line ties into the the intake manifold.

Things got a little tight and this shows where the mixer wound up.

I had to modify the hood a little for clearance. I liked the hood the way it was, so I tried to now modify it too much. It lets heat out and still looks good.
257speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 166218
A couple more shots:

I then rebuilt the turbo, using a kit from these guys:
G-Pop Shop
They were really helpful and the intructions were simple. No special tools needed. They also balanced my shaft for the turbo.
I was really nervous the first time I fired it up. I knew my propane tune from before was good, so I figured I would be alright. The engine fired right up and ran great. When I drove it though, the engine would start to build boost, then hit what felt like a wall. I made a phone call to Carey at Propane Conversion Kits He is always super busy, but took time to answer all my questions. Turned out I just needed to adjust the mixer , which was set too lean. Once I "richened up" the mix, it ran great and was pushing 6lbs boost, which is what I had adjusted the wastegate for (per Mr. Stubs instructions on his turbo write up. After readig Mr. Stubs write up and talking to Carey, I think I gor REALLY lucky with my tune. I am advanced about 15 deg and everything seems to running great. No pinging or backfiring at all.
One thing I noticed is that it does run about 10 deg hotter than it did before. I think this is good, considering the extra heat the turbo creates. It does however put me up around 210-215 deg when I am pushing it and making boost for an extended time. I have a stock radiator in the rear and think I will be switching it out to a larger aluminum radiator.
I have driven 22r's and re's for almost thirty years now, and have to say, there is a noticeable difference with the turbo. Now I know, it is still a little 4 banger, but when the boost comes up and you feel that extra power you didnt have before, it is super cool.
For anyone who is curious, this is the approxiamte cost break down for what I have in this:
Turbo- $47 plus $90 rebuild kit plus $65 balance = $202
Exhaust tubing- $60
Intake tubing- $111
Misc oil/coolant lines- $30
Misc fittings- $20
Total- $423
Now keep in mind, I already had the header flange and propane kit, but still, pretty reasonable.
I also threw in a new HP front diff from Marlin and a new V-6 in the rear, built by the legendary ZUK. Front has a grizzly locker and rear is a spool, both 5:29's.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 139159
Looks damn good Man!

[COLOR="Red"]MY BUILD [COLOR="Red"]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
85dhor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
LRC

Member # 203358
Slick rig, good info, im assuming its an internally waste gated turbo right?
LRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 112499
"Narrow Minded" build part 2

I was just thinking about this rig the other day, glad to see more progress, looks sick!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MOORETOYX4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Couple random questions for no reason than I'm curious. First, are you injecting the pane pre-turbo? Second, why did you choose not to intercool it?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Kick Ass!!

Im glad that I could be helpful after all those years of using others posted tech..

I have been dealing with hotter temps as well. I figure it has to do with the water throught the turbo. I have a small hole drilled in my T-stat now and can hit 220 easily. I will be looking into a electric fan upgrade.

I like how you stepped outside the box (well, I think we are both there) and used the carb base instead of the EFI plume like I did. I wonder how much flow you can get through your butterflys compared to mine? I guess a side by side dyno test would figure the power difference or some fancy math to figure out flow rate..

Noticeable power for sure....... But have you really "put it to it" to see what it will really do? Mine impresses everyone who knows these motors and goes for a ride. 4 high long hill climbs/steep gravel roads really show what they can do.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
are you injecting the pane pre-turbo?
Yes he is.

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 166218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
Couple random questions for no reason than I'm curious. First, are you injecting the pane pre-turbo? Second, why did you choose not to intercool it?
Hey Mike, this is a draw through system, so it pulls the propane from the mixer, through the compressor and into the intake manifold. I didn't run an intercooler after reading Mr. Stubs write up and talking to a few others. Propane cools when it compresses, so it runs much cooler than a gas turbo setup.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 166218
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC View Post
Slick rig, good info, im assuming its an internally waste gated turbo right?
Thanks, and yes, internal wastegate.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 166218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Kick Ass!!

Im glad that I could be helpful after all those years of using others posted tech..

I have been dealing with hotter temps as well. I figure it has to do with the water throught the turbo. I have a small hole drilled in my T-stat now and can hit 220 easily. I will be looking into a electric fan upgrade.
I am going to a larger radiator

I like how you stepped outside the box (well, I think we are both there) and used the carb base instead of the EFI plume like I did. I wonder how much flow you can get through your butterflys compared to mine? I guess a side by side dyno test would figure the power difference or some fancy math to figure out flow rate..
It is what I already had and it seems to work pretty well

Noticeable power for sure....... But have you really "put it to it" to see what it will really do? Mine impresses everyone who knows these motors and goes for a ride. 4 high long hill climbs/steep gravel roads really show what they can do.
I have not really got on it hard. The tach I have is bad and I don't know my true RPM's
Look to play with it a bit more and get the temp issue figured out.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 103588
Wow very cool and thanks for the break down of parts. I've considered turbo in the past, not anytime soon but someday maybe. Keep up the good work

FRIENDS OF FORDYCE
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 188835
Thought is up date And post up some pics of the rig and some of the changes since I bought it. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411783886.288610.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  41.6 KB
Not that I didn't like the Ivan Man paint but being I the refinish biz I had to brighten her a bit. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411784004.148081.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  27.4 KB
Had to give the rig a Toyota grille. She was looking to much like a Jeep with the old front end. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411784121.501508.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  44.8 KBdid a little housekeeping in the inside. Swapped out the gauges for some Autometers and made the switches a little easer to get at while being strapped in. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411784256.432450.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  66.0 KBafter funding the weak spot in the bottom end with 15lbs of boost, it was time to see my buddy's over at LC for a parts list of goodies. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411784410.814091.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  52.9 KBstarted out with a stage 3 head with stage 5 valve train componentsName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411784546.270055.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  57.7 KB
rodslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 188835
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411784719.398071.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  64.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411784768.931124.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  59.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411784808.042738.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  75.4 KBbottom end got x beam rods, pro crank, CP 10:1 custom pistons, double roll chain and pretty much everything else I could take off of LC shelfs ( good to be friends with the owner!)
The turbo was swapped out for a "Disco Potato" Gt28RS and a Stead Speed manifold. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411785138.685053.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  86.0 KBswapped the carb intake out for the efi one and cleaned up the engine compartment a bit. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1411785279.694293.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  79.2 KBother than some moving of the radiator and the propane tanks. The rest of the truck is just like Jerry built it.
It's been an excellent crawler and has turned into my Rhino replacement for speed trails as well.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Steed Speed, 15lbs?!??!

Truthfully,

What do you think of a little Ol' 22r's power now?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 188835
It's gets the job done but it's no LS. To be clear, 15lbs was on the stock build. This build is gated at 10. One day I'll get it on the rollers and see what it will make. It's has a lot left on the table but as it is now you can daily drive it.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 185425
Definitely curious what kind of power it is making.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 166218
Awesome to see the work you have done. All the engine work I had hoped to do one day.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
What let go in the bottom end? My truck is making 15 lbs and i can't gate it anymore w/out going to a different manifold to run a external wastegate. But i did build the motor like a 22rte but its still running the stock bottom end.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 188835
Bottom end was from a stock non turbo. Broke a piston. Cast piston fail was all.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Oh i gotcha. Perfect time to for an upgrade then!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in