'85 High School Build - Page 21 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2015, 03:50 AM   #501 (permalink)

Member # 51266
Nice build.... Have you ever weighed it?

I am so jealous of your snow wheelin..... That is one of the few things I miss about Washington.......
High Country Renegades
Symon623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #502 (permalink)

Member # 211155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon623 View Post
Nice build.... Have you ever weighed it?

I am so jealous of your snow wheelin..... That is one of the few things I miss about Washington.......
I haven't weighed it since it was a std cab long bed with no tube and it was like 3500lbs if i remember. Honestly I'm sure this thing is heavy as hell probaly around 4k. And thanks i love washington but snow wheeling is not really my thing I've had way to many long nights getting stuck and freezing my ass off but right now its the thing to do hell we have got 70" in 5 days in the mountains its just dumping up here!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #503 (permalink)

Member # 515673
I've read through your build a few times. It's probably one of my favorites on here. I took welding and auto classes in college but I never managed to make anything cool like you have. I would always end up giving up on projects. Props on still keeping it a truck. I know you've debated hacking off the back but I love that you can still put shot in the back. You have one bad ass truck. Keep it up!
EJXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #504 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Bret -i just saw on the news where they rescued 2 hikers out of Snowquamie (sp?). When you go snow wheeling over the New Years holiday, they say don't go where there is no cell coverage. Right now, with 72" of snow, the Rescue Teams say they might not be able to reach someone in trouble. On another note; are you running an R151 tranny? Did you change the synchro rings, too? Just curious. Have fun out there!

Had to watch my back at work for a while

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flhtom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #505 (permalink)

Member # 67935
no cell coverage is where its the most fun. besides whos better equipped to be in the snow than us wheelers
Old 12-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #506 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chevy39.5's View Post
no cell coverage is where its the most fun. besides whos better equipped to be in the snow than us wheelers
Oorah!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #507 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Ok; i was looking at the snowfall amounts across the country: 72 inches in Washington appears to beat the 58 to 60 inches in the rest of the country! I got one thing to say: when i was in Michigan, in 2007, i shoveled out of 5 feet of snow over the Christmas holidays. Screwed my back up so bad, i thought i would never walk again; even went to a chiropractor. I will leave the hardcore snow wheeling to you young folk, that can handle it, LOL!

Old 12-28-2015, 03:48 AM   #508 (permalink)

Member # 51266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretgilk View Post
I haven't weighed it since it was a std cab long bed with no tube and it was like 3500lbs if i remember. Honestly I'm sure this thing is heavy as hell probaly around 4k. And thanks i love washington but snow wheeling is not really my thing I've had way to many long nights getting stuck and freezing my ass off but right now its the thing to do hell we have got 70" in 5 days in the mountains its just dumping up here!
I heard you guys were getting pounded.... 110" on Snoqualmie?

I love the wheelin up there, especially the snow but I don't miss the mud and rain at all......
High Country Renegades
Symon623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #509 (permalink)

Member # 211155
Thanks for all the love on the thread guys its cool seeing this thread still around and all you guys so interested in my rig that gets me through all the hard times. I have been wheeling this truck and building it as much as possible while also buying parts for the new wheeler and my drag truck and still paying bills so progress has been slow but the truck just flat out works so I'm hesitant dropping more money into something that gets beat to piss every trip with a body thats hanging on for dear life. For now I'm just upgrading little things and having a blast. The transmission was the only thing to break in over a year and sadly was the only thing left on the truck from when i bought it stock when i was 16 so it was sad to see it go but the new install went great and everything has been working excellent took it out for a little test run before new years on christmas night, got to the trail head at 10pm and arrived back home at 4am drove the wheeler over 3 hours on main freeways and the rest snow wheeling and it worked awesome as always.

I would like to put a big thanks out to Coreswest and Rock tactics for always getting me what i need and for hooking me up with a winch and battery box so i can run dual batterys. Those guys are sweet and have some amazing prices.

Anyways here are some pictures of the winch and snow wheelin trip we made more pictures to come after new years we are spending thursday-saturday at walker valley so ill try to take some good ones hope everyone has a safe new years and gets to go play in the woods

Old 12-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #510 (permalink)

Member # 107096
How you liking them tires anyway? How do they do on the road and off?
107096 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #511 (permalink)

Member # 211155
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterunner27 View Post
How you liking them tires anyway? How do they do on the road and off?
There amazing on the road and amazing off. The one complaint is how the preform on rocks but they also had zero miles on them and where only at 12psi and so coming from iroks i wasn't to impressed. But in the snow and mud and everything else there amazing.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #512 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16789
Lovin the pics . Keep em coming.

shipping and free returns

Wanted! Solid axle steering boxes from 1979-1985 toyota pick-ups and four runners. PM me for details.
Wanted! Power assist Rams and Valves from 75-77 Ford F-250's. PM me for details.
montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #513 (permalink)

Member # 211155
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma View Post
Lovin the pics . Keep em coming.
Have fun at the mud bogs Cullen! I wish i could make it out but there just doesn't look like enough to do all weekend so we heading up to some secret trails and walker valley to party for the weekend! have a safe drive ill see you next saturday.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #514 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Keep the pics comin', bruh! Snow wheelin' is awesome!!! I was surprised at the traction my dirt bike gets in the snow with knobbies, even on steep hills. Have fun, and Happy New Year to UBC

Last edited by flhtom1948; 01-03-2016 at 08:24 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #515 (permalink)

Member # 211155
So on Thursday morning we left Woodinville around 9am and headed out to Walker Valley ORV park to camp till Saturday night. We met a few of my buddies with buggies Thursday night so we could go on a new years run and man did we have a winch fest in the snow. Overall we had a great trip broke a lot of parts and some how all managed to wheel till Saturday and limp our trucks back to the trailers. I snapped one of my chevy leafs finally and broke a passenger window AGAIN 4th time, My buddy johns tan truck had some motor problems and started to knock, Travis lost his drain plug in his buggy and ended up finding it filling the motor with oil then it started to knock on the trailer and Joey rolled his jeep driving to fast with some liquid courage and broke out a passenger window. Beside that we all had a great weekend met some cool people and ran some sweet trails.

On my way home i pulled a set of chevys from a junk yard and got them installed on sunday during my test run after two years of abuse my stock driver side hub gears exploded luckily Coreswest has a set in stock so ill be back on the trail in no time. Hope everyone had a good new years and heres some pictures for all to enjoy.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #516 (permalink)

Member # 211155

Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #517 (permalink)

Member # 219975
Your leaf spring bushings shot? Or is just because it's fully compressed on the trailer?
Toy(Yota) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #518 (permalink)

Member # 211155
No the bushings where fine and the straps had nothing to do with it. That's just 2 years of abuse with no overload leaf and not having bumpstops till 6 months ago. That's what happens when you wheel 20 year old 2wd leafs almost every week. This set im going to set up a little differently with a rock tactics traction bar, bigger bumpstops and possibly French in my shackle hanger.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #519 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Looks like you are having a blast!

Anti wrap bar and proper bump stops will help springs live much longer.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #520 (permalink)

Member # 211155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
Looks like you are having a blast!

Anti wrap bar and proper bump stops will help springs live much longer.
Yes exactly and im sure no shocks doesn't help but I don't want to cut my bed for them.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #521 (permalink)

Member # 576626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretgilk View Post
Yes exactly and im sure no shocks doesn't help but I don't want to cut my bed for them.
Im running 63s in the rear with 12" shocks and no bed trimming. I have 4-5" of up travel too. I used 2x2 .120 and notched the tubing so the shocks mount inside it.
ChadStich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #522 (permalink)

Member # 394482
Great pics, Bret; esp. the close up of the exploded hub, and the flopped Jeep: I love seeing flopped Jeeps, LOL. I am picking up great tips from you guys, (they say you should learn from others experiences), thanks for that. I run the 63's on my rig, also. I was thinking of overloads, also. A Trac bar and better bumperstops -great ideas. I remember quite a while ago, you said you don't have rear shocks? I think you should put the driveline in a linked buggy: check out BigToy302 here on Pirate; he even has a vertical mill and CNC mill in his workshop. He also has a thread that talks about tube bending, on Pirate. Great stuff! I want to know about your drag truck, too. Glad you had a great time, hoping 2016 will be even better!!!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #523 (permalink)

Member # 211155
So i ended up pulling my hubs off and found that only my driver side had blown up but i got the trail gear inner an outer hub gears so i decided i would just not be lazy and do both. I headed down to Coreswest to help out for the day and take a photoshoot for the new Rock tactics battery box so i had Cullen or (montezuma) on pirate rebuild both my hubs and get the chromos in cause he's a straight pro at it. Ended up having a lot of problems with my driver side hub so i spent the coin and bought a brand new one and had him rebuild them once again. Went out and tested the truck and shot some guns on sunday and everything worked out great once again glad to finally have the small things worked out and ready to do some wheeling. Im getting really excited for KOH so ill make sure to post a lot of pictures. Heres what i have for now have a great weekend everybody!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #524 (permalink)

Member # 211155

Last edited by bretgilk; 01-14-2016 at 08:37 PM.
bretgilk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 05:10 AM   #525 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Thanks for the graffiti.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in