IFS 4600 class yota - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post
So, the engine and suspension are bad choices with major limitations...

I would have liked a built ass DOA engine and full tilt TC suspension.
Lce, doa, random builder... All the same. I had one of the most built 22rx engines myself and others have come across. It smoked a 4.3 on flat ground readily, but in the hills was still a 22rx I had receipts totaling just shy of $10k for it. The torque curve of a stock 3rz was more usable. I do wish you would have built the ifs a bit more to see what it could do. I have run two ifs trucks in my life and hit what was "the limit" with both. A real ifs is an itch that I have to scratch, not sure when I'll get to it, but is something that I want to do. I've already done a ton of brainstorming and started on design work, we'll see what happens. Maybe the chupacabrera and I will team up and form team arrogance
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #77 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Does the engine choice have to be U.S. market or can you swap a engine that came stock in another country?

Quote:
I don't care what you want to smoke, who you want to poke. I don't care what you want to shoot or how many bullets you can have.
I just want people to mind their own business and leave me the fawk alone if I'm not fucking up thier shit.
89lc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 51984
Ifs Land Cruiser with a V8?
250f4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250f4life View Post
might work but you'd have to strip a couple thousand #s of crap out of it
Old 02-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 50177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250f4life View Post
Too big, you would be better of with a 4th gen 4 runner, they can be had with the same v8 in a smaller, lighter package

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my buggy build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
am4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
Originally Posted by am4x4 View Post
Too big, you would be better of with a 4th gen 4 runner, they can be had with the same v8 in a smaller, lighter package
you still would have to 'monster garage' the sucker to reduce weight
Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 50177
Quote:
Originally Posted by '00Tacosinger View Post
you still would have to 'monster garage' the sucker to reduce weight
Absolutely... but you are still getting a good head start

my buggy build

Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
Originally Posted by am4x4 View Post
Absolutely... but you are still getting a good head start
...and, think of the fun of ripping apart a nice 'new' truck
Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Lce, doa, random builder... All the same. I had one of the most built 22rx engines myself and others have come across. It smoked a 4.3 on flat ground readily, but in the hills was still a 22rx I had receipts totaling just shy of $10k for it. The torque curve of a stock 3rz was more usable. I do wish you would have built the ifs a bit more to see what it could do. I have run two ifs trucks in my life and hit what was "the limit" with both. A real ifs is an itch that I have to scratch, not sure when I'll get to it, but is something that I want to do. I've already done a ton of brainstorming and started on design work, we'll see what happens. Maybe the chupacabrera and I will team up and form team arrogance
Exactly. (I wasn't saying that any specific engine builder was better BTW)

It doesn't make a flying monkey fuck how badass your suspension is if you can't get enough engine in the rig to push it up a hill.

I've got a TTB Bronco chassis that I've started on (and abandoned), and a 3.4 single cab Taco that I've considered putting some real suspension under.

But other obligations and interests are diverting funds elsewhere, and I really don't see myself racing anytime soon.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #85 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
If you can swap a foreign engine in it, a 3L with a turbo kit will make a lot of usable torque.

Also, has anyone looked at a older RAV4? I bet you can stiffen the unibody, put some larger diffs in, stronger A-arms, and a 3sgte head. You won't have a problem with power as you can make a 3sgte 250 crank hp on the stock fuel system. The 3sfe block is stronger and 300+ hp is nothing to them.

Quote:
I don't care what you want to smoke, who you want to poke. I don't care what you want to shoot or how many bullets you can have.
I just want people to mind their own business and leave me the fawk alone if I'm not fucking up thier shit.
89lc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lc View Post
Also, has anyone looked at a older RAV4?
Love the idea, but the problem would lie with the drivetrain as you have to keep the stock transmission (or any other Rav4 trans) which are transverse mounted and have no 4 low transfer case.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Tim View Post
Love the idea, but the problem would lie with the drivetrain as you have to keep the stock transmission (or any other Rav4 trans) which are transverse mounted and have no 4 low transfer case.
RAV trannies have a reputation for problems
Old 11-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 1088
We have an interest in helping with a 4600 IFS car, depending on specific platform. I will be straight up, we we're planning to build one, and dropped the project completely after last year. No finishers in 4600, one or 2 the year before, no promoting 4600 from the media side, and during the race all I hear is currie and pelegrino. Im going to sounds like a jerk saying that, but its exactly where I am coming from. So if we are going to work with a team, it must be a team very active in self promoting, as they will need to not only promote their team, but the entire 4600 class to have anyone care about the team.

I drove one heck of an underdog in Promod, and won. And supported FToy from inception to demise. 4600 is similar class, and I absolutely love the concept behind it. The promoting behind it is just missing

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Last edited by Brian Ellinger; 11-02-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #89 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
well shit, that is awesome. I hope you are able to find somebody to make it work, please keep us updated

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #90 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 232477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ellinger View Post
We have an interest in helping with a 4600 IFS car, depending on specific platform. I will be straight up, we we're planning to build one, and dropped the project completely after last year. No finishers in 4600, one or 2 the year before, no promoting 4600 from the media side, and during the race all I hear is currie and pelegrino. Im going to sounds like a jerk saying that, but its exactly where I am coming from. So if we are going to work with a team, it must be a team very active in self promoting, as they will need to not only promote their team, but the entire 4600 class to have anyone care about the team.

I drove one heck of an underdog in Promod, and won. And supported FToy from inception to demise. 4600 is similar class, and I absolutely love the concept behind it. The promoting behind it is just missing
This was the reason I built my 4500 toyota 3rz and we proved you can win with a toyota at reno. We need to talk brian.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:

I'm sure that you spoke with Justin Reece, but I know that he was looking to do a similar build.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feathers View Post
This was the reason I built my 4500 toyota 3rz and we proved you can win with a toyota at reno. We need to talk brian.
Yes, we should

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I'm sure that you spoke with Justin Reece, but I know that he was looking to do a similar build.
We've spoke a bit, he's running our front housing this past race. And although he finished after time had stopped, they made adjustments, and record him at 2nd place. Which I think was awesome of the organizers to do. First place was also adjusted, as he was after official time had stopped as well.

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #93 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
So.... Anybody ever come up with anything?
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 50177
I was going to do it but when it came time for my dreams to face the realities of the limited time I have available....I bailed on it.

I was going to use a 3rd gen 4runner and I even owned the perfect platform, V6, 4x4, 5speed. My reasoning for that being the ideal Toyota platform for this is you get a reasonably powerful V6 but they had not made the huge jump in body size that the 4th gen got. From a suspension standpoint they came with coilovers in the front so you can replace them with coilovers and not have to deal with torsion bars. Rear is linked with coils so you could put a proper link setup under there and not have to suffer with leaf springs. If I had done it I would have gone full retard on a scratch built IFS front end though. An early Tacoma would be the next best thing but you would have to run leafs in the rear.

my buggy build

Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #95 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
I think you could have some fun for sure. ups and downs depending on which vehicle you start with. Ive though very seriously about building one myself, just havent decided to pull the trigger on it.

If you need help with any aspect, let me know
on this note: how does your 8" ring gear front blue 3rd gen fit into the class rules?

it seems to be holding up well to trail running and the steering rack should be solid.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #96 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 232477
What would be the better choice tacoma or 4runner? I kept the 500hp 3rz from my 4500 emc winning toyota.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #97 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I think a 4runner would be pimp, but that is because they look better

there isn't much reason why you couldn't make a good long/soft/thick leaf pack work well in the rear of a Tacoma, just won't have much to balance with back there to keep the COG more rearward.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #98 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
I would think the 4Runner would be the better choice. I recently acquired a 96 5 speed runner that would be a perfect platform to build off. Full bodied roof would be no heavier than a Cherokee. Something like a total chaos front suspension and some sort of custom linked suspension out back. 3.4 should provide plenty of power.

2feathers I don't think a turboed 4 cyl would be legal under the rules. Bummed to see you sold that rig, I heard someone bought it and is stuffing an ls motor in. Any plans for another build?
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 79509
In 1998(?) the Tacoma was offered with a supercharged 3.4. I believe the rules just state forced induction. So skip the 3rz and go 5vze. Could even keep the auto, rad shifter, atlas adpater... it's only money.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feathers View Post
What would be the better choice tacoma or 4runner? I kept the 500hp 3rz from my 4500 emc winning toyota.
I would say reg cab tacoma. While i see the automatic appeal to "links," the rules of the class pretty much kill shock location options. The 4runner also comes with a weight penalty over the tacoma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in