IFS 4600 class yota - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr65 View Post
that may have been true 5 years ago, but you dont see alot of current IFS shit breaking. the newer runners have the bigger front chunk and I think with RCVs they would survive pretty well
bottom of our arm is 1/4" and designed for crawling abuses.
the 8" and rcv's are doing fantastic, including front digs on 37s.

as for 4th gen. I dont think its a bad idea, but lighter and smaller it is not, much larger, longer, and wider, heavier, than the 3rd gen

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I was wondering what universe a 4th gen 4runner is lighter and smaller than a 3rd gen......

Wouldn't a superchargered 3.4 be legal as well?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I was wondering what universe a 4th gen 4runner is lighter and smaller than a 3rd gen......

Wouldn't a superchargered 3.4 be legal as well?
Correct and would smoke a 4.7, imo
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 685826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Correct and would smoke a 4.7, imo
I haven't driven many 4.7's but when I had a supercharger on my 2000 3.4 4runner i thought it was pretty quick for what it was. Would smoke the 265 75's into second gear pretty easily and that was with an automatic. That was just the supercharger. No tune stock everything no 7th injector.
Toyota97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 111580
I have a 4.7 2004 runner, and it seems smaller and more sporty than my 3rd gen runner had had along time ago. feels lighter, feels smaller (shorter) and its got ALOT of power...

best vendor on pirate...

dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #131 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
So I checked out the 4600 class before the start of the EMC at KOH. Nothing but Cherokees, grand Cherokees, high dollar wranglers (read Jesse Coombs) and one lonely IFS 1st gen 4runner. Looked like a pretty well built rig with what he said was a total chaos knock off. Seen it race a few times before and I believe he finished a couple years ago but not in time. I would like know how far he got before time ran out or he broke. Anybody know this cat?
Attached Images

hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #132 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Given the FU2 decal, Bender and Flash probably know.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2018, 05:44 AM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Given the FU2 decal, Bender and Flash probably know.
wurd

Swedish American :usa:
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #134 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Said they broke an A-arm - I asked what happened as they were driving by on race day just after noon, and that's the answer I got. I believe that is a mirror image of the Hammertown Schoolbus, if anyone remembers that rig...

Special Thanks to:
, West Kern Environmental Consulting,
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #135 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Bummer.. Looks like the Yotas are getting outgunned by the heeps. There used to be alot more yotas out there. I wonder if people are starting to figure out that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to dump thousands of dollars into a rig to race an event where you literally have a about 2% chance of finishing let alone winning. That being said I still want to do it...
Old 02-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 51324
Not much Toyota love out there this year. Hell even the one that killed the 4500 class last year got the LCE 4banger ripped out, an LS dropped in, got painted blue, and DNF'd. At least Marlin is still reppin' with a vender booth. We'll see how long that lasts. It seemed pretty basic compared to last years'.

Sad times. I think the 4600 class is just going by the wayside. You see the type of build Combs had this year and it's like...why...

That being said, if I had the base coil front runner/taco sitting around and some support I'd build it and give 'er hell.
Stooges4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #137 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooges4x4 View Post
Sad times. I think the 4600 class is just going by the wayside. You see the type of build Combs had this year and it's like...why...
i hope not, the buy in is still high with the mandated gear, but it is what it is on that front. death/disability sucks worse than losing a race.

hell the 4500 class is a long way from the 'spirit' of a next level above stock class, but the multiclass racing is still a good dynamic and 4600 is still much cheaper than the others. to finish in time would be huge.

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #138 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooges4x4 View Post
At least Marlin is still reppin' with a vender booth. We'll see how long that lasts. It seemed pretty basic compared to last years'.
Lots and lots of four-cylinder Toyotaís in Hammertown. They just arenít racing. Thatís why Marlin is there. Thatís where the money is.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 51324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
hell the 4500 class is a long way from the 'spirit' of a next level above stock class, but the multiclass racing is still a good dynamic and 4600 is still much cheaper than the others. to finish in time would be huge.
The class is evolving and I understand that. I'm just certain that it is disheartening for the dudes that scrape every last penny they have to build a 4600 car, then you see the Savvy Jeep finish 3rd overall...

Don't mind me though I'm just bitching because I'm not in a position to go race a Toyota and represent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Lots and lots of four-cylinder Toyotaís in Hammertown. They just arenít racing. Thatís why Marlin is there. Thatís where the money is.
Agreed.
Stooges4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #140 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Yup, there was Yotas everywhere just not on the starting line. There was 15 or 20 heeps lined up so I think the 4600 class is far from dead. Although there were only 5 or 6 at the Reno nationals IRCC.

One of my buddys purchased a complete dual case setup from Marlin while he was there so there's that..
Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #141 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
Yup, there was Yotas everywhere just not on the starting line. There was 15 or 20 heeps lined up so I think the 4600 class is far from dead. Although there were only 5 or 6 at the Reno nationals IRCC.

One of my buddys purchased a complete dual case setup from Marlin while he was there so there's that..
still related to this thread, what is the "series" for the 4600 cars and how do you find out where the season will take you? do you need to run most or all of the races in the series (east or west) to qualify?

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 4211
I've been doing a lot of research on 4600 Toyota builds lately. I had spoken with Brian about a 4th Gen 4Runner KOH build I'm contemplating, but sponsors have been slow to roll in. I've tried about 10 so far.

I also went big and tried Toyota as a sole sponsor given the comments above about Jeeps taking over KOH and they responded by saying:

"Thank you for your proposal on Steel City Racing for King of the Hammers: Everyman Challenge 4600 Class.
We carefully review all sponsorship submissions, and at this time we unfortunately must decline your offer to partner on the Steel City Racing for King of the Hammers: Everyman Challenge 4600 Class as it does not fully match with our current corporate marketing objectives.
We invite you to resubmit for a future opportunity, and would like to extend our best wishes for a successful event.
Regards,
Toyota Engagement Marketing Team"

At least the responded .

Anyway - I'm still working on two build options - a 4th Gen 4Runner or an '85 Toyota - both fully built (diamond axles, atlas II, etc) to the extent possible given the rules. I'll be honest - both budgets are coming in above $55K including the vehicle with the 4th gen only around $6K more than the '85 - the '85 needs a lot of parts from LCE to get the 22RE to 200hp without a Turbo .

After a few months of research, I've concluded that finding a sponsor interested in 4600 Class Toyota are necessary to actually make this happen!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 04-21-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Charles4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Here's my question. I know the weight and WMS would be better on a 3rd gen vs. 4th gen. And a 3rd gen with a supercharger is tempting vs. the heavier 4th gen v8. But the 4600 rules say:

"Forced-induction of all types is not permitted, unless factory equipped."

A few posts above indicated that some of you believe certain years of the 3rd gen were offered with Superchargers as a factory option. I did some research this morning to confirm, but couldn't find this.

Example of what I found is below:
What 3rd Gen years & models had Supercharger's? - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Does anyone have any evidence that a 3rd gen with a supercharger could fit the KOH 4600 class rules? If so, I'd like to see where a 3rd gen would come in cost wise.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 04-21-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #144 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4x4 View Post
Here's my question. I know the weight and WMS would be better on a 3rd gen vs. 4th gen. And a 3rd gen with a supercharger is tempting vs. the heavier 4th gen v8. But the 4600 rules say:

"Forced-induction of all types is not permitted, unless factory equipped."

A few posts above indicated that some of you believe certain years of the 3rd gen were offered with Superchargers as a factory option. I did some research this morning to confirm, but couldn't find this.

Example of what I found is below:
What 3rd Gen years & models had Supercharger's? - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Does anyone have any evidence that a 3rd gen with a supercharger could fit the KOH 4600 class rules? If so, I'd like to see where a 3rd gen would come in cost wise.
I think this question has been answered officially, but I don't remember what the answer was. I'd highly recommend joining the '4600 Stock Club Forum' facebook group though - sometimes better for specific questions to other racers if you're not already on it, and can look at what's been discussed in the past...

Once you find the answer, may want to email KOH tech and quote what the answer has been in the past - or ask specific questions like this to them. That way, you have a documented response you can save on your phone or print out and have at the races with you in case there is ever any debate. In the past I've taken a folder with race rules and any printed email questions printed out...

Special Thanks to:
, West Kern Environmental Consulting,
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 4211
I know this thread is now a bit old, but the thoughts, ideas, and opinions in this thread were the genesis of the 4th Gen 4Runner IFS Toyota Coilovers Based - KOH 4600 Stock Class Build I'm working on. THANK YOU to all of you who contributed above - you are the inspiration and genius behind this project.

Now, let's get started!

If you want to follow us on Instagram and Facebook:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SteelCityRacing4x4/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/steelcityracing4x4/

And check out the official build thread here:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...ld-thread.html

It's going to be an awesome build and an amazing adventure. Please follow, support, and pray for us!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 06-19-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 835730
best of luck! looking forward to awesome results
RasquatcheRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4x4 View Post
I've been doing a lot of research on 4600 Toyota builds lately. I had spoken with Brian about a 4th Gen 4Runner KOH build I'm contemplating, but sponsors have been slow to roll in. I've tried about 10 so far.

I also went big and tried Toyota as a sole sponsor given the comments above about Jeeps taking over KOH and they responded by saying:

"Thank you for your proposal on Steel City Racing for King of the Hammers: Everyman Challenge 4600 Class.
We carefully review all sponsorship submissions, and at this time we unfortunately must decline your offer to partner on the Steel City Racing for King of the Hammers: Everyman Challenge 4600 Class as it does not fully match with our current corporate marketing objectives.
We invite you to resubmit for a future opportunity, and would like to extend our best wishes for a successful event.
Regards,
Toyota Engagement Marketing Team"

At least the responded .

Anyway - I'm still working on two build options - a 4th Gen 4Runner or an '85 Toyota - both fully built (diamond axles, atlas II, etc) to the extent possible given the rules. I'll be honest - both budgets are coming in above $55K including the vehicle with the 4th gen only around $6K more than the '85 - the '85 needs a lot of parts from LCE to get the 22RE to 200hp without a Turbo .

After a few months of research, I've concluded that finding a sponsor interested in 4600 Class Toyota are necessary to actually make this happen!
They may be more responsive to an fj cruiser or real land cruiser build. The 4runner is a family car, to Toyota.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
They may be more responsive to an fj cruiser or real land cruiser build. The 4runner is a family car, to Toyota.
well, the FJ has been discontinued so that's out.
I think Toyota just isn't interested in off-roading in general.

I'm in for a couple hundred if you get going

Last edited by '00Tacosinger; 07-26-2018 at 10:48 PM.
'00Tacosinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Instead of starting a new thread figured I would ask here.

RUle book says.
FRAME & BODY
1)
Stock frame (frame is considered to be the primary frame rails and all permanently
factory cross members) must be retained, and must be complete and unmodified. No
material may be removed for any reason and no section of the frame may be
'massaged' or re-shaped with the following limitations and exceptions: The rear
portion of the frame and rear cross member may be removed or trimmed for the sole
purpose installing an aftermarket rear bumper. Frames may be reinforced by adding
material.

Now on an IFS tacoma the front a-arm crossmember is welded in but rear has a bolt in section. Does that mean you cannot cut the front one or the welded rear section of crossmember?

Also front Upper Contral Arm/Coilover Mount. That is welded to the frame. Can that be removed and new UCA mounts and coilover mounts be fabrciated off top of frame and engine cage?

Also. Could one ditch the rack and do with a steering box/hydro assist and swing steering in stock location? Or do you have to keep the rack since it came rack factory?
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 37016
ALso some mis information on this thread. Supercharged 3.4 is NOT LEGAL. Since it was a Dealer installed option NOT a factory option.

Last edited by 65Chevy4x4; 02-24-2019 at 12:19 PM.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in