California legal 1UZ/r150 swap? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 46928
Send a message via Yahoo to Edisonsteve
Just did a full manual auto swap in my 1994 BAR taged OBD2 3.4 5spd swap. And its time to smog check it again. The auto is not tied into the computer so the CEL is not a problem. But the BAR tag it marked manual. When I did the swap they didnt even look at my computer or ask if it was a manual or a auto computer. They didnt even care about the exhaust changed to the drivers side. I am hoping that the same place that smogged it last time wont have a problem this time with the manal auto thing.
1994 Toyota Extra cab, Exo, SAS, Linked, Kings, Air Bumps, 60s, 5.38, Detroit/Detroit, 40"Maxxis Comp Trepadors, Supercharged 3.4 5vz V6, A340F Auto Trans Manual shift, Atlas 4.3 4spd, Winch front and rear. CA smog legal and DD

2018 Colorado ZR2 Duramax
2005 Dodge 2500HD Cummins 4x4 35s
Edisonsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master Baiter

Member # 138976
Engine Change Guidelines

Interesting one V C Section 4163 Three or More Motor Vehicles

fuck me running if I can't find where the 'cutoff' GVWR is on the website, seems like they changed it since I used it last

up is difficult, down is dangerous

The largest tax modification in 30 years, check it out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 6170
When the tech inputs the vin# of the vehicle into the smog machine computer, its going to come up with all the stuff the vehicle should have on it to be legal. All this will change when you go to the bar and get it ref'd to whatever the new engine trans combo is. They are litteraly check boxes which you input Pass, Fail, or Tampered. Does it have egr and is it functional, P, does it have the charcoal cannister and evap system, P, does it have a V8 with auto trans, T! If you have an OBDII vehicle, the computer allready does all of this for the smog tech. I believe they still have to do a visual inspection.

Any current ca smog techs out there? All my experience was 7yrs ago or more at this point. When in doubt talk to your local smog ref.

Kevo
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edisonsteve View Post
Just did a full manual auto swap in my 1994 BAR taged OBD2 3.4 5spd swap. And its time to smog check it again. The auto is not tied into the computer so the CEL is not a problem. But the BAR tag it marked manual. When I did the swap they didnt even look at my computer or ask if it was a manual or a auto computer. They didnt even care about the exhaust changed to the drivers side. I am hoping that the same place that smogged it last time wont have a problem this time with the manal auto thing.
Puzzling about the exhaust because when I was doing my 3rz swap the ref told me that the routing and distance had to be within 2-3" from the engine to the cat, after cat I could do whatever I wanted.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 125937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Puzzling about the exhaust because when I was doing my 3rz swap the ref told me that the routing and distance had to be within 2-3" from the engine to the cat, after cat I could do whatever I wanted.
Both my 3.4 swaps have been ran through the local ref. he said that to the last 02 sensor, NOTHING could be altered. I failed the first time because I simply cut the exhaust pipe and rotated the cat about 15 degrees an welded it'd back up so it wouldn't hit the frame. It moved the thickness of a sawsall blade. That's tampering according to him.

The guy in Fresno is tough, tough, tough. Everything has to be 100% stock in original form and absolutely untampered.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 2931
You won't pass the ref w the r150f. You won't even make it past the preliminary visual, and you're potentially gambling on biannual smog checks. Really fucking stupid since all that really matters is what comes out the tailpipe (another thread...)

Having said that, the auto is awesome off-road. I was EXTREMELY apprehensive when building my 4door taco(stuck w auto for same reasons), but was hugely surprised at how nice it was on/off pavement.

My brother lives in tuplumne county(only smog @ change of ownership), so I would goto the ref in 2wd and get my sticker and then complete the swap after that point(as mentioned).

Funny how it's okay to go 2wd to 4wd, but not auto to manual. This state has some idiotic ideas on.....(another thread..)
Old 04-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 866526
How can that be? I just bought a 1998 Lexus LS400 with California plates all smogged and tagged this morning.
Augustine Traxler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 866526
I am also in Fresno and was wondering what issues I might run into with BAR. Six months ago I bought a 1990 4 Runner with a 3.slow, A340-H automatic with 4 wheel drive. I purchased a 1998 Lexus LS400 this morning and plan to swap motors. I saw on Youtube where a guy installed a 4.7 into his Toyota pickup and it was California legal. I'm hoping that when the time comes, I will pass with flying colors.
Augustine Traxler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 6170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine Traxler View Post
I am also in Fresno and was wondering what issues I might run into with BAR. Six months ago I bought a 1990 4 Runner with a 3.slow, A340-H automatic with 4 wheel drive. I purchased a 1998 Lexus LS400 this morning and plan to swap motors. I saw on Youtube where a guy installed a 4.7 into his Toyota pickup and it was California legal. I'm hoping that when the time comes, I will pass with flying colors.
I'm sure you can get it to work somehow. You'd have to use an auto trans to make it legit. The one issue I couldn't get past with a 1UZ swap was trying to get the cats to fit in their stock location to pass cali smog laws. Instead I'm in process of swapping a 4.3 chevy in. If you live in other states or don't need to pass smog laws the 1UZ seems like a great choice.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
What are you using for oil pan, pickup, oil filter housing and exhaust manifolds?
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 50177
Quote:
As of May of last year the engine change guidelines changed and the new motor now has to be from the SAME class of vehicle. This means you can no longer put a car motor in a truck so there is no way to do a smog legal 1UZ swap..and per my local smog ref who even checked with Sacramento to confirm, they consider a 4 runner to be a truck. If you want a smog legal UZ it will need to be a 2UZ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my buggy build

Last edited by am4x4; 04-15-2019 at 10:59 AM.
am4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in