complete bypass of toy ignitor and coil for 30$ - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 115173
Thanks. If I ran the GM module with a GM stock or aftermarket coil would I gain a hotter spark?
Toy-Bilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy-Bilt View Post
Thanks. If I ran the GM module with a GM stock or aftermarket coil would I gain a hotter spark?
YES
many have done that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[COLOR=Red]--

:evil: # 530.532.4529:evil:[/COLOR]
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR].

SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 115173
Thanks again.
Toy-Bilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 171615
Been lurking awhile, learning a lot, applying a little, hoping to do more. This weekend I mounted a CS-130 Alternator, and installed a GM Ignition Module. Works Fine EXCEPT, I can not get my Tachometer to work. I made the connections as directed, with the "B" terminal connected to a switched Ignition source from the original wiring harness, and the "C" terminal connected to the "-" terminal on the coil. The "W" and "G" terminals are connected to the two wires from the distributor that just happened to be red and white, and white just happened to work on the "W" terminal. Lucky me, I like things color coded. For the "B" terminal I used the red wire from the original wiring harness, but I did nothing with the original yellow-white stripped wire that my Hayes manual's wiring diagram identified as the tachometer wire. With the tachometer disconnected, all works fine, but any attempt to connect it to the "-" terminal of the coil kills the engine. I tried using a 1K resistor, and the motor did not die, but the tachometer still does nothing. Any idea of where the tachometer lead should go? The truck is a 1980 with a 20R motor.

The module is a four lead module listed for a 1985 truck, NAPA #TP45SB. Some of the later Chevy's ran a five blade module and I was just wondering if the extra blade on those was for a tachometer lead. Anybody ever try this??

I included some pics of my install. Notice the old computer chip (AMD) cooler fins that I drilled and modified to accept the module, and using another screw I was able to mount the fins in the same place as the original Toyota module right on top of the coil bracket. And I did use some heat sink compound between the module and the fins.

Slum Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 171615
BTW, the above is my first time posting. Like I said, been lurking and learning, but this is the first time I ran into something I just can't figure out on my own.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 171615
Stupid ME! I found the problem.

Turns out the yellow-white stripped wire doesn't go to the tach, and I don't really know what it goes to yet, but I found this little black wire, the bottom wire under my little finger in the photo, which I had overlooked. Hooked it up to the (-) terminal on the coil, and TA-DA, the tachometer works.

I decided to make a little bracket to hold down my heat sink. There is one screw running through it already, mounting it to the strap on top of the coil, but the heat sink was a little short to be able to run another screw through the other side. So I bent a piece of scrap aluminum, drilled it out, and ran two screws through it to secure the other side of the heat sink to the coil strap.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 53528
excellent first few posts keep it up
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 36
Put a self tapper in the bracket you made so it doesn't slip off the fins. That is pretty trick!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 171615
I don't think it will slip now. Notice the yellow arrow in the other picture. That screw runs all the way through the heat sink and into the coil bracket to hold the heat sink in place. I just put the bracket on there to stabilize it and keep it from spinning around on the other screw. The screws running through the module and into the heat sink have self locking nylon nuts on the bottom too. They are all 8X32 and 10x24 machine screws because as an electrician, I have lots of those lying around. I used a 6-in-1 tap tool to re-tap the metric threads in the coil bracket because I was too cheap to run up to the hardware store and buy metric machine screws.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 200197
1k ohm resistor

I read this whole post and it still seems a little unclear to me. If using the Toyota coil, there should be a 1k ohm resistor attached to the yellow wire as in initial pics, correct? The most recent pic isn't clear enough to tell whether he used one or not... When I look at the original toyota icm there IS a 1k ohm resistor present...

And some ppl question about the grease for heat transfer.... the supplied grease with the icm (or hei - high energy ignition - since some referred to it as this) is a heat transfer grease (not dielectric). I'm currently trying to mount that chev icm in the toyota ingniter/icm/hei box...
Brian1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 199562
good for you!

[QUOTE=zags;1972035]My last Toyota ignition module lasted 300,00 miles.
When I drove GM trucks, I didn't go anywhere without a spare ignition moule in the glove box beacuse they failed so often. I'll spend the money on a Toyota one. JMO[/QUOTE

glad you've had such good luck, clearly you don't need to be here reading this thread.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by theHay-MAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zags View Post
My last Toyota ignition module lasted 300,00 miles.
When I drove GM trucks, I didn't go anywhere without a spare ignition moule in the glove box beacuse they failed so often. I'll spend the money on a Toyota one. JMO

glad you've had such good luck, clearly you don't need to be here reading this thread.
way to tell him

too bad youre 8 years late
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 201941
I can't wait to get home from work and try this!
NWOleman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 201941
I don't know what the hell is wrong with my truck! Damnit! I went home and did this setup and nothing, it's still not firing! WTF! Maybe the distributor is bad? Is there any way to set a toyota up completely like a gm HEI system where all you need is 2wires to the starter, 1wire to the distributor and one wire to the alt?
NWOleman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #115 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass44 View Post
spark comes from coil
it's used cause $$
stock igniter $350+
gm $15-30
Different modules have different dwell characteristics too so running a factory module will be different from an msd or accel unit. The coil provides the pop the module tells it how long to do it.

I just did this swap after the 6AL on my dd puked and my backup stock system had a bad ignitor I dug up this thread and swapped in a gm module. Apparently the 6AL has been on its way out for awhile because the truck will rev to 6k now where it would peter out about 4800 rpm before.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 207425
Hi All! First time on the Pirate, and I need a little help.
Suffered the dreaded dead ignition module wilst driving home.
(Right outside my driveway. Lucky me.) In my 1979 Toyota pickup.
Bought the GM module, hooked it all up - nothing. Bought a new pickup,
installed it - nothing. Air gapped it to .0010 (.25 mm) and she started
right up. Runs great above 1500 rpm, but below that she dies when cold, almost dies when warm, but then comes back and idles perfect.
Checked the timing - spot on. Changed the rotor - waiting for a cap.
Any ideas? Help me Obi Wan Kenobi - your my only hope.
Kcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 207425
So I did a little checking with my trusty volt meter, and found
that while idleing the voltage at 'B' was around 13.4 as soon as I
revved the motor the voltage dropped dramatically to around 8.5 and
picked up to around 10 at 3000, then on the decel the volt would start
dropping until around 1200 they dropped below 7 and the engine cut out, but then came back to idle and the volts back up 13.4 or so.

I'm still using the stock toyota lead for the dist/ig module. should I run a new
wire from somewhere to the 'b'? And where would that somewhere be?
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 195395
I did this conversion on my toy about 6 months ago. The only problem i ran into was the stock gm coil went out because it didn't have a resistor. So i put an Accell Coil in and it was worked great ever sense. Its still better than the two setup. Has anyone else who has done this ran into a coil issue?
c-manxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 207425
Fixed it! Thanks Guys! Ran a wire from the 'Engine' fuse to the coil/module'works like a charm! Thanks for all your help!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 219438
Coil kind

Can I use any co of that style like a msd blaster cool or do I have to use that one?
YotaBoy21r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 150878
Anybody seen anything related to 22RE ignition changes? I do have megasquirt and was thinking of swapping the guts if a gm efi small cap hei.
150878 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 62119
Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4digchevy View Post
just helped my buddy do this conversion tonight on his 82 22r. Everything seems to work except for the fact that his truck is really hard to start. I noticed that if i pull the coil wire out of the top of the coil about 3/4 of and inch to let the spark jump to the coil wire, his truck will start up immediatly. then when i put the wire back in it runs great until he shuts it off. The only thing that i know is that maybe it is because he has no resistor on the coil and it calls for an external ballast resistor. could that be the problem?

Here is the problem I can't seem to find the fix for.

Every once and a while it fires right off and purrs with first try with the key,

But every other time I have to crank and crank on it before it will finally kicks off. I'm getting 12 volts to the coil. I checked the resistance in the distributor and it's in tolerance. The ignition is on it's own circuit so there shouldn't be a Amperage drop there. Does that GM ignition take more amps than a toyota igniter? I can't seem to figure out why it wont just fire right up every time. I get stuck on a trail cranking and cranking then walk back to the truck and it fires right off.

Any input would help.
court-low is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 85972
just did this mod with all new parts (except the dizzy) and I got no spark. I was expecting my cheap yota to fire up but I got more work to do and more money to spend I guess. any pointers on what to check? I have voltage on the negative side of coil even when the points are lined up, is this normal?

And yes I still have lots of build parts for sale! New website coming soon!
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 12419
switch the 2 wires from the dizzy
drsmash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 85972
did that before, but after doing it again i'm getting intermittent spark.

And yes I still have lots of build parts for sale! New website coming soon!
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in